Sign in with
Your question

If windows 7 64bit is installed is it possible that it might be slow

Last response: in Windows 7
March 8, 2012 9:05:48 PM

Hello,
I've just installed windows 7 64bit on a 60gb ssd laptop with 1.60ghz, and it's Really slow, is this because it's a 64bit version?
Thanks Ben
March 8, 2012 9:29:25 PM

If I had to guess, I'd say you've just got a really slow CPU. Windows x64 should be running pretty much identically to x86.
m
l
Related resources
March 8, 2012 9:30:28 PM

kelthic said:
what is your cpu and ram? What is with 1.6ghz? Ram? Recommended RAM for 64bit Windows 7 is 2 Ghz.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/sy...

Lol no, the RAM can't be 2GHz... The best RAM out there is only 1277MHz...

However, an 1.6GHz CPU is not enough for smooth Win7 Experience, and I can guess that the CPU is an Atom?
You have to make sure that the CPU supports 64-Bit before installing an x64 OS on that system.

The minimum RAM Req for Win7 Home is 1GB, and Win7 Ultimate is 1.5GB.

Also, be sure to close unused applications in the background to keep your computer as fast as it can be.

Hope it helps! :) 
m
l
March 8, 2012 9:44:42 PM

bloc97 said:

Heh, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess he meant 2GB.

Quote:
You have to make sure that the CPU supports 64-Bit before installing an x64 OS on that system.

Windows will actually fail to install if you try to install 64 bit on a 32 bit system. I keep forgetting my POS netbook is 32 bit and have to restart after putting a 64 bit image on my install stick.
m
l
March 8, 2012 10:51:13 PM

wow, never trying to multitask again :(  Yes i meant 2GB
m
l
March 9, 2012 12:07:17 AM

Quote:
as a matter of sating my curiousity Lol no, the RAM can't be 2GHz... The best RAM out there is only 1277MHz... states memory speed as 2000MHz as well as a dozen other ram links i clicked... Is there something i'm missing here?

Also, sorry about my post below that was confused. That will teach me to try to rush through an answer while in the middle of something at work.

My point is still that we do not know the full specs of the OPs pc and that would be helpful in narrowing down whether there are more problems than just a slow cpu.
m
l
March 9, 2012 12:28:14 PM

Benshopeful said:
Hello,
I've just installed windows 7 64bit on a 60gb ssd laptop with 1.60ghz, and it's Really slow, is this because it's a 64bit version?
Thanks Ben

Ok sorry about the lack of info.

The pc is a Acer aspire 5532 but please note that now it has a 60gb ssd.
I can't bring any other info up because it takes about 1/2 hour to do about 4 commands, that's how bad it is.

Anyway thank you all so far, just need this up and running asap.
m
l
March 9, 2012 2:15:50 PM

Benshopeful said:
Ok sorry about the lack of info.

The pc is a Acer aspire 5532 but please note that now it has a 60gb ssd.
I can't bring any other info up because it takes about 1/2 hour to do about 4 commands, that's how bad it is.

Anyway thank you all so far, just need this up and running asap.

Simple answer, your CPU is garbage and can't handle Windows 7. There are actually two models of your notebook that have 1.6 GHz CPUs. One is dual core, the other single. The dual core one I would expect to at least be somewhat usable, if infuriatingly slow. The single core one would be a nightmare.

Sorry buddy, you have a crappy laptop.

m
l
March 9, 2012 2:46:24 PM

Ben, I am assumeing you did a clean install of window 7 64bit?

If you have the Retail version of Windows 7, it comes with both the 64bit and 32bit version. Try installing the 32bit version, you'll see better performance.

As other community members have said that laptop is not powerful enough to run the 64bit version of Windows 7
m
l
March 10, 2012 7:52:19 AM

Yes was clean
The ssd said on a new install that the drive should be formatted. I took the laptop to a friend who managed to get Win 7 to update (107 of them) which made a huge difference and he tweeked it also, it's now super quick and got no issues, I've manage to upload all the photos in a few minutes. I wouldn't say this pc is crappy not now anyway. thanks for the 32/64bit idea that was gonna be my next option.
Job done!
m
l
!