Closed Solved

Need help on buying a wireless gaming router

Hello, and thanks for stopping by to read my thread. I am seeking to buy a wireless gaming router. I have little to no knowledge of deciding which wireless router is good. I am aware that wireless-n is the latest and supposedly fastest router. Correct me if I am wrong. I been looking around and doing some research and found these wireless gaming router. Any input is appreciated. Thank you again for reading and taking your time to help.

Budget: $100 before rebate
Website Preferred: Amazon, Newegg

What I found out so far...

D-Link DGL-4500 Extreme-N Selectable Dual-Band Gaming Router
Amazon Price: $99.99 (as of 01/16/2012)

Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router WNDR3700
Amazon Price: $97.94 (as of 01/16/2012)

D-Link DIR-655 Extreme-N Gigabit Wireless Router
Amazon Price: $79.00 (as of 01/16/2012)

Medialink - Wireless N Router - 802.11n - 150 Mbps - 2.4 Ghz - NEW Design w/ Internal Antenna
Amazon Price: $49.99 (as of 01/16/2012)

Linksys E1200 Wireless-N Router
Amazon Price: $49.97 (as of 01/16/2012)

*Source found at http://www.squidoo.com/best-gaming-router
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need buying wireless gaming router
  1. Best answer
    I have an older dlink DGL-4100 gaming router. If the DGL-4500 is just as reliable as the DGL-4100, I'd recommend it.
  2. Right now I have a Cisco-Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster with 2 PC, 2 Laptop, 2 Playbook, and 3 iPod Touch connected to it. Only one of the PC uses wired while the rest is wireless. I play FPS and RTS games online and its not the fastest but I do lag and stutter here and there. I did set my router to allow full potent for my PC whenever I game.
    The D-Link DGL-4500 does have some good reviews to it. Is there any other ones that is good to this one?
  3. Get a router which supports custom firmware.
    Something like the Linksys WRT54GL.

I recently brought one and after flashing Tomato 1.28 and setting up QoS (takes about 10 minutes) I get far better gaming performance.
    As the gaming packets are prioritized and a small section of the bandwidth is reserved for gaming packets I can have 3+ instances of youtube running and my ping/latency in game is completely unaffected.

With gaming is not about how large files you can send via the network, its about how quickly you can send/receive small packets via the network.
    For that reason a 1Mbs optimized connection will game far better then a 20Mbs unoptimized connection.
  4. D'Links gamefuel is what they call their QoS and it works quite well. It recognizes most games on the fly and allows you to create your own entries too.

http://www.support.dlink.com/emulators/dgl4500/115/Traffic_Shaping.html
  5. I did some more research on the D-Link DGL-4500 and it looks to be the right one for me. I will be ordering it this week then. Thanks for all the help.
  6. Best answer selected by Gn3s.
  7. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Wireless Amazon Gaming Networking