Sign in with
Your question

Help! My Graphics Drivers stop responding

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 11, 2012 8:19:14 AM

Hey Guys,

I recently bought a new PC and it seems to be running into some issues, my specs are:

Intel Core I5 3570
ASRock z77 Pro4
Hitachi 1TB HDD
Kingston HYPERX 120Gb SSD
16gb G.Skill Jipjaws X RAM
Widetech 650W PSU (Probably not the greatest choice)
LG Disc drive
Galaxy Geforce GTX 660Ti GC

So after purchasing and installing many of my games, while playing many of them maybe 5 seconds - 30 minutes does a strange thing where the game will freeze then the screen will go black. Sometimes the game comes back up but lags like crazy and while all of this happens in the bottom right corner it says

"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernal Mode Driver, Version 306.97 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

After this error continued, I looked into it further and checked the Temperatures (which are all fine), I checked the VRAM for errors (all clear), I entered the Registry Editor and made a file to do with TDR (Didn't work), I did a clean re-install of the latest NVIDIA Drivers (still didn't help), Changed the Power Settings to High Performance and a couple other small things. But I'm quite concerned and I really want to fix this issue and be able to play my games to their full potential. Any insight and guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks Guys
December 11, 2012 2:02:33 PM

Ways to fix this:

1. Add a TDR delay.
2. Scan your system for viruses. Also, defrag the HDD (DON'T DEFRAG IF YOU HAVE A SSD!)
3. Re-install Windows.
4. Disable Aero.
5. Lower the screen resolution to 800x600 or 1024x768.
6. Remove drivers and use the basic drivers that's included in Windows.
7. Update the drivers. First remove the drivers, then download Driver Fusion to remove old registry keys of the deleted display driver. Then, install the newer version of the display driver.
8. Use Advanced SystemCare to remove unneccessary registry keys and junk.
9. Remove graphics card and use onboard graphics.
10. Downgrade Windows 7 to Vista (worked for some people).
m
l
Related resources
!