Low fps far cry 3!

okay so I tried running everything maxed at 1920x1080 ultra and got only about 31fps with lags and everything!!

Then I turned off AA(from 8 to 0) and got about 51fps (somewhat playable)

is this normal for my pc? I thought I would be getting solid 60+ fps maxed out at that game.

Last question is what settings would be most ideal for my pc and which options should I choose to lower?

My specs are on my sig and I am wondering how people with similar specs are finding this game.
25 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. l think its not normal :) on 2500k,8gb ram and gtx 670 you should get much better fps.
    Download and install latest driver http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/53752 This driver add optimizations for Far Cry 3, providing up to 38% faster performance.Try it and tell us what you got
  2. StellaRossa said:
    l think its not normal :) on 2500k,8gb ram and gtx 670 you should get much better fps.
    Download and install latest driver http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/53752 This driver add optimizations for Far Cry 3, providing up to 38% faster performance.Try it and tell us what you got


    yup already got the latest beta drivers! 310.70 I believe.
  3. CPU / GPU temps ? Usage ? Frequency ?
  4. There is definitely a problem with Farcry 3 but you should get better fps then that. Not a lot better but better. I have a GTX590 and it does fine at 1920x1080 in Ultra but if I try to game widescreen at 5760x1080 my fps drop to about 15-20fps. I don't have any other games that do that at highest settings. I have also installed the latest beta but it only helped a little. The game plays fine at 4800x900 but there is still something wrong with it overall. It lacks the physics of a crysis or bf3 so it shouldn't run so badly.
  5. http://hardocp.com/article/2012/12/05/far_cry_3_video_card_performance_preview/2


    Look down at the 1080p settings, with 680 & 7970 both run at average of 30 fps in their tests.
  6. Yes, that is probably about right for your rig. Far Cry has ALWAYS been heavy on resources. It has the same system requirements as Crysis 3...
  7. I have gtx 670 and I5 3750k and getting about the same frame rates turned AA to 2 and get 50-60+ and drops to mid 40's sometimes, its just beast to run with everything maxed out
  8. Change the ssao method from hbao to regular ssao. You will see a huge jump in performance by doing that.
  9. Probably going to fix itself with some future drivers updates and game patches. With very demanding or poorly optimized games I tend to wait a few months before buying them.
  10. to see how your GTX670 SHOULD perform i suggest this
    play in the same settings they have played and see if u get the same FPS
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/far_cry_3_graphics_performance_review_benchmark,5.html
    also take into account your CPU
    an i5 2500k is awesome for gaming there may still be a light difference
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/far_cry_3_graphics_performance_review_benchmark,7.html
    and post your results
  11. dheeraj9993: Lol at the specs in your sig! :D
  12. prototype18 said:
    CPU / GPU temps ? Usage ? Frequency ?


    gpu temp in the 80s(its summer over here), usage 99% all the time and frequency is 1323mhz core and 7150mhz memory according to msi afterburner. I managed to OC it quite a bit.
  13. I have a 7950 at 1224mhz core and 6800mhz and a 3570K at 4.6ghz with MSAA on 8 with maxed settings I manage to get about 45 avg fps
  14. helper800 said:
    I have a 7950 at 1224mhz core and 6800mhz and a 3570K at 4.6ghz with MSAA on 8 with maxed settings I manage to get about 45 avg fps


    could it possibly be a driver related issue? Ati gpus are generally performing better in this game.
  15. shamsmu said:
    could it possibly be a driver related issue? Ati gpus are generally performing better in this game.

    I'm pretty sure that Farcry 3 is an AMD biased game so its bound to play better and nice OC on that 670 best I have seen.
  16. I've downloaded the demo from gamespot and on my i5-3570 with a humble GT430 - slightly overclocked - i get 110fps using EVGA- trouble is most of the image is so blue I cant see the enemy - may be the demo though
  17. garryash said:
    I've downloaded the demo from gamespot and on my i5-3570 with a humble GT430 - slightly overclocked - i get 110fps using EVGA- trouble is most of the image is so blue I cant see the enemy - may be the demo though


    what is your resolution and settings?
  18. 1920x1080 all settings to high in game- GPU clocked to 846Mhz and Memory clocked to 890Mhz and I've turned the fan up to 100% as I dont mind if the fan blows cz then my missus will reluctantly agree to letting me get a new GPU!!!
  19. WHOOPS - forgot to clear screen when went for a whisky and missus saw this
  20. YEah i have the same problem, i have an intel i7 3930k 4.1ghz, 16gb ram 1600mhz, 2x gtx 570 sli on a 1080p screen and i get around 30 fps on the new drivers, with the old beta drivers i got 50 fps maxed out. Far cry3 sucks. BF3 i get 120 steady fps.
  21. Is ur Far Cry 3 original or crack if its carck i cannot say anything
  22. BuzzKenway said:
    Is ur Far Cry 3 original or crack if its carck i cannot say anything


    its as original as they come
  23. @shamsmu
    You can easily double your FPS during camera motion by hialgoboost. Try to install it from www.hialgo.com
  24. oh sorry I forgot to tell everyone the issue has been resolved long time ago, turned out my pci express slot was faulty and I tried the 2nd 8x slot and the fps has gained a massive boost in every game. Like I get over 80-100fps in far cry 3 using the nvidia geforce experience recommended optimal settings.
  25. shamsmu said:
    oh sorry I forgot to tell everyone the issue has been resolved long time ago, turned out my pci express slot was faulty and I tried the 2nd 8x slot and the fps has gained a massive boost in every game. Like I get over 80-100fps in far cry 3 using the nvidia geforce experience recommended optimal settings.


    Cool Enjoy the game Sgansmu :D :D !!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Low FPS Games Graphics