Draining the processor power??

luser

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi all..

Been building myself a new comp, TB900 with ABIT KT7-RAID. Have had lot's of probs with it, but that's not why i'm posting this. The question is why W98 doesn't let go off the processor usage after i have shut down a prog. If i boot up win, the built in prog for watching the use of the processor shows that it's using approx 4-5%. Then I start for example Netscape, and the usage goes up to approx 50-60%. That's maybe a little high, but that ain't the main prob. 'Cause when i close Netscape again, the use of processor power won't go down to that 4-5% again, it stays at friggin' 60%. And if I open and close Netscape again, it will now run at 80%!! And i assure u, nothing is running, not even any of those small progs that usually shows in the tray. So... what could be the prob? Other comps that i have built and used have never had these probs...

Anyone got an idea?

/Sincerely, luser

luser

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yep..

If only w98 would have had the possibily to check ALL processes, like u can do with ctrl+alt+delete in w2k/NT, i would probably find the culprit...

There's something fishy goin' on here... =)

/luser

jobe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This just sounds like Netscape.....

Alot of times when you close netscape it does not remove it self from Memory ( it stays resident ) so windows think it is still running....

Does it happen with other programs?

jObE

G

You don't have a problem.I reported this same problem (high CPU usage when running idle) one month ago and all the reactions I got were people with Sochet-A cpu's (Duron AND TBird) having the same experiances. When running 'idle' the Win98 AND WinME task monitor indicates an absolute constant usage of 15%, 25%, 75 % or in your case sometimes even 80%. BUT as soon as you wiggle your mouse (or do some' else) then the CPU usage drops to 0-1%......strange but true..... So the power of the CPU WILL go to any operation that needs it. BUT I wonder how much heat these high 'idle' speeds generate.... Is this one of the reasons why Socket-A run so hot???? Earlier I got no reaction to this thought.....

Keep it cool ;)

G

I have seen the same thing in my friends compaq. To this point dont know how that works but its not a problem its just the way the system runs. Funny but the guy from compaq tech support didnt know what i was talking about and then told me to call windows people because he thinks its a windows system monitor problem. what an idiot hehe