Sign in with
Your question

A router that handles up to 10 devices and does not drop internet?

Last response: in Networking
January 17, 2012 3:27:35 AM

I have this Belkin router (http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/product/detail/p/33...), every other month or so it will lose the internet connection and powering off, resetting, unplugging modem then router, never brings it back. I deal with support for 2 hours who somehow get it back with commands I don't follow, e.g., pinging, ipconfig, etc. The last time it lost internet Belkin said it was defective when we could not get it back working.

I replaced it with a Netgear N600 that was not working with my Network, so support got that working. Then a week later the internet drops and my wired pc cannot even see the router! Support cannot get it to show up and tell me to return it to the store. My Network is seen, but the internet is blocked.

I box it up, put the Belkin back, and it is now working.

The problem is a long history of internet dropping out and having to call support to get it back working (if possible at the time). My resets/restarts never work.

My main question is whether anyone can suggest a router that handles lots of wired and wireless connections well. I have a Trendnet 8 port switch connected to my router to host wired xboxes scattered on different floors (used as Windows Media Extenders); an upstairs printer; an Asus Repeater to extend wireless coverage: We also have several wireless devices that connect, e.g., Ipad, Iphone, kids ipod, an old desktop, wife's laptop. In all, there could be up to 10 devices that connect to the internet, but generally no more than 4 at a time.

Any suggestions on a router that can handle lots of devices and does not drop internet. It is sooooooo frustrating losing the internet and not being able to restore my router without calling support.

Thanks for any input?

More about : router handles devices drop internet

January 17, 2012 9:59:33 PM

I have two networks that use two D-Link DIR-655s on each.

One as a wired and wireless router and the second as an AP off a long CAT 5 run for each. One is DSL based and the other cable modem. No issues in the last three years with this setup for either network, both providing seamless wireless over a large area (of course using different radio channels) and both having numerous computers, network printers, NAS boxes, HTPCs, TVs, multiple switches, etc.

I've never been terribly happy with the performance of repeaters though since they cut down your bandwidth, but if you cannot run a long cable you probably have no choice with that.

edit: another idea would be to use a router like THIS Linksys E3000 that is DD-WRT capable and use that firmware, which is quite flexible and very good.
m
l
January 18, 2012 2:40:48 AM

RealBeast said:
I have two networks that use two D-Link DIR-655s on each.

One as a wired and wireless router and the second as an AP off a long CAT 5 run for each. One is DSL based and the other cable modem. No issues in the last three years with this setup for either network, both providing seamless wireless over a large area (of course using different radio channels) and both having numerous computers, network printers, NAS boxes, HTPCs, TVs, multiple switches, etc.

I've never been terribly happy with the performance of repeaters though since they cut down your bandwidth, but if you cannot run a long cable you probably have no choice with that.

edit: another idea would be to use a router like THIS Linksys E3000 that is DD-WRT capable and use that firmware, which is quite flexible and very good.

Thanks for your thoughts.
m
l
Related resources
!