Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Will my computer run without a gpu ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 11, 2012 9:56:37 AM

So about a month ago I bought a low end gaming pc but I ended up giving it to my mom and started building one of my own . So the computer I gave to my mother has a HD 7770 gpu and I was wondering if I took it out will get pc still work fine ? She doesn't do any gaming all she does is watch youtube videos maybe a few games like words with friends nothing to graphically heavy . The mobo on her build is a ga-78lmt-s2p it says it has onbard graphics but will of be enough ? And will it have any effect on her computer if I remove the 7770 . The reason I'm thinking of removing it is because I want to add it to my new build temporarily until I save up to buy a gtx 670-680.

More about : computer run gpu

a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 11, 2012 9:59:30 AM

If it has onboard graphics then yeah, you can use that. You may need to change the video option in the bios, but you probably won't.
Score
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 11, 2012 10:03:30 AM

mig_e said:
So about a month ago I bought a low end gaming pc but I ended up giving it to my mom and started building one of my own . So the computer I gave to my mother has a HD 7770 gpu and I was wondering if I took it out will get pc still work fine ? She doesn't do any gaming all she does is watch youtube videos maybe a few games like words with friends nothing to graphically heavy . The mobo on her build is a ga-78lmt-s2p it says it has onbard graphics but will of be enough ? And will it have any effect on her computer if I remove the 7770 . The reason I'm thinking of removing it is because I want to add it to my new build temporarily until I save up to buy a gtx 670-680.
Stealing from mom tisk... tisk... being a Indian giver :ouch: 
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 177 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 11, 2012 11:11:16 AM

It should be fine, onboard is more than enough for her needs.
Just power down the system, remove the 7770 and connect the video lead to the motherboards output.
There should be no need to make BIOS changes, but you should uninstall the AMD drivers.
Depending on if you uninstalled the onboard drivers or not you should check the system disc/s and install the onboard drivers.
There may be sound issues, again, check the system disc/s to restore the onboard sound drivers.
a c 358 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 11, 2012 12:57:53 PM

Yes, your motherboard has integrated graphics so the Radeon HD 7770 is not required for that mobo.

An easy way to tell if the mobo has integrated graphics is if the mobo has a VGA / DVI / HDMI port.
Score
December 11, 2012 1:26:13 PM

make sure you update the drivers for the on-board graphics card after you remove the hd 7770
Score
December 11, 2012 2:21:38 PM

If your PC's motherboard/CPU have onboard graphics, you don't need a dedicated GPU. Make sure that you install the display drivers for your onboard graphics card.
Score
December 11, 2012 6:20:28 PM

how can i update/install my display driver for the onboard grapghics ? o-o sorry im a big noob
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2012 6:24:59 PM

You need to make sure your CPU has onboard graphics, if it doesnt then youll need the GPU to keep in there.
Score
December 11, 2012 6:36:39 PM

@abcasperr well on the manual it says it has onboard graphics (North Bridge) and it has a dvi-d and d-sub port
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2012 7:01:16 PM

mig_e said:
@abcasperr well on the manual it says it has onboard graphics (North Bridge) and it has a dvi-d and d-sub port

What CPU do you have?
Score
a c 177 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 11, 2012 7:15:46 PM

@ mig_e. The supplied driver/system disc/s will have the required drivers.
If you do not have those disc/s check the manufacturer website for that software.
If you did not uninstall the onboard drivers they'll still be there, once the HD7770 is removed and the system reboots Windows should automatically find and reinstate them.
Score
December 11, 2012 8:54:29 PM

Best answer selected by Mig_e.
Score
December 11, 2012 8:54:55 PM

I did it and everything works fine :)  thanks to all that replied
Score
!