Sign in with
Your question

Power supply, power outlet, GPU, or all three?

Last response: in Systems
January 26, 2013 10:15:24 PM

My Corsair TX850w V2 PSU started making ticking noise that sounds like two marbles hitting each other softly about 2 weeks ago. At first, I thought it was maybe a gpu coil noise or something but I didn't know that the PSU was the one making the noise until about a week later. During that week, my computer crashed twice, one time while the computer was running WoW and planetside 2 which resulted in a BSOD caused by Nvlddmkm.Sys, and another time while playing WoW by itself and caused artifacting coming out of one of the world mobs, which caused a "display driver crashed and has recovered" message after a restart. immediately after I found out that the PSU was making that noise (Done that by running the PC with no gpu or fans besides heatsink) I RMAed the power supply and I am now waiting patiently for a replacement. While I was home bored out of my mind, I decided to use the same power outlet I used to plug in my PC and monitor to plug in my PS3 and charge my laptop using an electrical socket extender. To my surprise, The ps3 started to lag and the mousepad on the laptop was not functioning properly, which revealed the possibility that the problem could've been the power outlet the whole time. I just want to know what you guys think could've been the problem? Graphics card, Power supply, power outlet, or all three?

MSI z77a GD65 motherboard
MSI gtx 680 twin frozer 2gb SC (under load temp 55c)
Intel i5 2400 @ 3.4 with turbo (under load temp 59c)
Corsair vengeance 8gb memory
Corsair TX850w V2 PSU
a b ) Power supply
January 26, 2013 10:27:54 PM

Do you have a voltage tester? Test the outlet. If it isn't up to 110V US and 230V Europe than you found your problem. I would buy an UPS and run your computer through this. You should do that either way. All my computers go to UPS first.

Just noticed your CPU temp. That is a bit high for not being overclocked. What CPU cooler are you using?
m
l
January 26, 2013 10:33:47 PM

well actually I should've put 59c under load, not average. I am using a cooler master N520. Wouldn't the turbo up from 3.1 to 3.4 count as an OC though? as long as the voltage tester goes, I do not currently have one but I will try to purchase one whenever I could.
I have one more dumb question, If the power outlet was the problem, could that cause a power supply to actually fry and damage other components? I am also curious about the noise that came out of the PSU. I know that Corsair will probably let me know what it meant, but could anyone make an educated guess about what the source of the noise could've been inside the PSU?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 26, 2013 10:47:49 PM

sherifsaid123 said:
well actually I should've put 59c under load, not average. I am using a cooler master N520. Wouldn't the turbo up from 3.1 to 3.4 count as an OC though? as long as the voltage tester goes, I do not currently have one but I will try to purchase one whenever I could.
I have one more dumb question, If the power outlet was the problem, could that cause a power supply to actually fry and damage other components?

That is still a high temp for that little turbo. It should be in the high 20's to low 40's. What does it idle at? If that is high then you probably either have a problem with to little or too much thermal paste or a problem with the cooler not being attatched correctly.

The power outlet could have indeed caused this problem. A good power supply will sacrifice itself instead of damaging the equipment and that was a good power supply so you are probably ok.
m
l
January 26, 2013 10:54:12 PM

I looked up that heat sink before I bought it and the 50-60c range is normal for that particular heat sink. 20-40c i would expect from a liquid cooler, not a $30 air cooler. I also seated and reapplied thermal paste more than once so I am 110% sure that it is not a problem with installation. If my entire PC wasn't damaged because of this, I could have the money to buy a whole new CPU and a liquid cooler so lets not even talk about that for now. I just want to pin point the source of the problem.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 26, 2013 11:01:19 PM

I use the Hyper 212 EVO with the same CPU and I am in the 30's and top out in the low 40's with a 4GHz overclock
m
l
January 26, 2013 11:11:37 PM

Like I said, I will purchase a whole new cpu and heat sink if everything goes well and I am very sure that the heatsink and thermal paste were installed correctly. If you don't have suggestions as to how to make the cpu run cooler or why the CPU is running hotter than your standards, then lets divert away from this subject and focus on the main problem. Just saying "your temperatures aren't as good as mine" doesn't help me figure out why the supposed problem is occurring or how to fix it after mentioning that I installed it correctly multiple times and changed the thermal paste frequently.
m
l
September 18, 2013 10:09:40 AM

Don't worry about the CPU temps - it's a complete non-issue as far as the PSU issue is concerned.

FYI my 2500k @4.4Ghz (with a Hyper 212+ HSF) will hit mid 60's under load. The airflow in your case is likely to have a much bigger impact than replacing the heat sink itself.

If I open the front door/panel on my case for additional airflow I see a 5C+ degree drop in CPU/GPU temps.

As for the power issue - something else seems off there... a laptop would charged with a power brick converting 120/240v AC to ~18v DC so any minor fluctuations in power at the wall wouldn't likely cause noticeable output issues from the brick... and any major fluctuations would most likely have resulted in outright crashing rather than a slowdown on the PS3/trackpad issues on a laptop.

If you get a UPS for that outlet - make sure to get a higher end "online" one rather than a standby solution. The online ones can correct for voltage fluctuations (ie can cover a brownout) while the standby ones are slower to switch and will allow a small over/under voltage to be passed onto the device before it trips the sensors and switches to running from the battery.
m
l
!