Question about Lenses for the Canon Digital Rebel?

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 24, 2005 2:53:51 PM

Hello,

All this talk about lenses, and the lens that comes in the kit with the
Digital Rebel makes me think I want a little bit better lens.
Now, I can't afford the L series lenses. I am sort of looking at
the following two lenses. I am not really sure if I would gain
anything over the kit lens that came with the Canon Digital Rebel with
one of these lenses.

The first one has the mechanical motor, and the second one has the
USM. The second one has more elements in more groups, but is over
twice the price of the first one.

Would I gain better quality images with either of these lenses over the
kit lens on the Canon Digital Rebel?

Thanks in advance,

roland

Canon EF 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 II
$119.00

SPECIFICATIONS

HOOD : EW-60 C

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture
28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6

Lens Construction
10 elements in 10 groups

Diagonal Angle of View
65° - 25°

Focus Adjustment
Front group rotating system with Micromotor

Closest Focusing Distance
0.38m / 1.25 ft.

Zoom System
Rotating Type

Filter Size
58mm

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight
2.6" x 2.8", 7.8 oz. / 67mm x 71mm, 220g

Canon EF 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 II USM
FEATURES Retains the optical capability of the highly popular EF
28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lens, with a refined exterior (more...)

$279.00
SPECIFICATIONS

HOOD : EW-63 II

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture
28-105mm 1:3.5-4.5

Lens Construction
15 elements in 12 groups

Diagonal Angle of View
75° - 23° 30'

Focus Adjustment
Inner focusing system with USM

Closest Focusing Distance
0.5m / 1.6 ft.

Zoom System
Rotating Type

Filter Size
58mm

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight
2.8" x 3", 13.2 oz. / 72mm x 75mm, 375g
August 24, 2005 9:48:58 PM

Rumour is the 28-105 will be the "kit" lens for the 5D.
Wonder why they didn't use the 18-55? Ha HA HA!
-Rich
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 1:21:09 AM

"piperut" <rbehunin@alumni.weber.edu> wrote in message
[...]

If I were you, I would look at this lens first as a general purpose
replacement for the Rebel 55 kit
http://www.photo.net/equipment/tamron/28_75_Di/

If you know enough about lens to reduce your search to the two lens above,
then you should know what the difference between them is, and thus you don't
need advise. Chances are you are like I was when I first started and you
don't know what you need yet, no insult intended.

I went out and bought 3 or 4 lens - and I still want the L series EF 75-200
or 300 lens. You buy one of the lens above and you will inevitably end up
wanting something out of its range. You are going to end up with 10 lens by
the time you pick up a prime here, a 300 something there.. If you want just
a good general purpose lens that won't break the bank look at the Tamron.
Or, (otherwise) save your money for the L series 75-200/300, Or, become a
lens junky and buy stock in Canon.

I rent my lens - thats how many there are to chose from, and thats how
specific the lens quality to application can be if you want top quality
shots.

But the EF 75-200/300 l series really covers a lot of territory, you will
still end up with specialty lens.

So much for being pithy

David A.
http://www.hoofr.com/gallery-1.htm
August 25, 2005 1:32:48 AM

"piperut" <rbehunin@alumni.weber.edu> wrote in message
Hello,

All this talk about lenses, and the lens that comes in the kit with the
Digital Rebel makes me think I want a little bit better lens.
Now, I can't afford the L series lenses. I am sort of looking at
the following two lenses. I am not really sure if I would gain
anything over the kit lens that came with the Canon Digital Rebel with
one of these lenses.

The first one has the mechanical motor, and the second one has the
USM. The second one has more elements in more groups, but is over
twice the price of the first one.

Would I gain better quality images with either of these lenses over the
kit lens on the Canon Digital Rebel?

Thanks in advance,

roland

The second lens, 28-105 f3.5-4.5 USM II, is much superior. It has a
different type of "USM" than the 28-80, ring, or true Ultrasonic Motor, vs.
micromotor USM. Ring USM has full time manual focusing, in that you don't
have to flip a switch to fine tune focus manually. Ring USM lenses also
don't have rotating front elements, handy when you are using filters with
defined orientation, like graduated filters, polarizing filters or star
filters. Also, the optics of the 28-105 f3.5-4.5 are better. Just make
sure it's the f3.5-4.5, not the f4.5-5.6, an inferior lens.
Neither, however, will give you the field of view of the kit lens.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

In article <1124906031.240487.63750@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
rbehunin@alumni.weber.edu says...
> Hello,
>

> All this talk about lenses, and the lens that comes in the kit with the
> Digital Rebel makes me think I want a little bit better lens.
> Now, I can't afford the L series lenses. I am sort of looking at
> the following two lenses. I am not really sure if I would gain
> anything over the kit lens that came with the Canon Digital Rebel with
> one of these lenses.
>
> The first one has the mechanical motor, and the second one has the
> USM. The second one has more elements in more groups, but is over
> twice the price of the first one.
>
> Would I gain better quality images with either of these lenses over the
> kit lens on the Canon Digital Rebel?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> roland

> Canon EF 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 II
> $119.00

<snip>
This one doesn't have much of a reputation - I doubt it would be any
kind of improvement over the kit lens.

> Canon EF 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 II USM
> FEATURES Retains the optical capability of the highly popular EF
> 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lens, with a refined exterior (more...)
>
> $279.00
<snip>
This is regarded as quite a good lens for the money, and you obviously
get much more at the telephoto end of the range.

The trouble with both of these is that 28mm is not really wide angle on
the Digital Rebel. Either lens would be a normal-tele zoom, so not
really general purpose. If you really need more range on a budget I'd
suggest the Sigma 18-125. It's similar quality (maybe a little better)
to the kit lens but better made and goes a lot longer at 125mm. Some
people have focusing issues, however, so I wouldn't bother if you don't
need the tele end.

The 18-55 kit lens is actually quite decent quality - you need to pay
quite a bit to improve on it significantly. Stopped down to f/8 it's
pretty much as sharp as the 17-40 L (except maybe at the edges/corners)
and if you bump up the contrast/saturation you'll get similar results.
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 5:10:31 AM

In message <1124930938.011646.141450@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"Rich" <michaelanderson4@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Rumour is the 28-105 will be the "kit" lens for the 5D.
>Wonder why they didn't use the 18-55? Ha HA HA!

Well, for one thing, it's EF-S and won't fit, and even if it did, it
would vignette on a FF.

Thanks for trying to be funny, though.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 9:56:05 AM

Hi David,

David A wrote:
> "piperut" <rbehunin@alumni.weber.edu> wrote in message
> Hello,
>

> If I were you, I would look at this lens first as a general purpose
> replacement for the Rebel 55 kit
> http://www.photo.net/equipment/tamron/28_75_Di/

> If you know enough about lens to reduce your search to the two lens above,
> then you should know what the difference between them is, and thus you don't
> need advise. Chances are you are like I was when I first started and you
> don't know what you need yet, no insult intended.

It would actually be in addition to the kit lens. I would keep the kit
lens, as it does have the 18mm on the kit lens. I also have a 8mm
Peleng lens, a 70-300 Canon lens, and a 500mm F-8 lens.

I am just looking for a good all around lens to use for most shots
instead of the kit lens. Once in a while when I wanted the wide angle
shot from the kit lens I would still want to use it.

I did find a Tamron dealer here locally. I haven't bought 35mm lenses
in years.
So my infomation about 2nd party lenses is a bit dated. (I bought the
70-300mm lens when I had a Canon 35mm Rebel, and before that I ...
well, I bought lenses with the Canon FD mount. Back then the 2nd party
manufacturers sort of had bad reputations. This was pretty much across
the board, Tamron, Sigma, Quantaray, Vivatar, and there were a couple
of others. I really didn't consider the 2nd party lenses because of
this. I guess times have changed. This lens is more money then I was
thinking of spending.

I did stop by the dealer locally who has the Tamron lenses last night.
He had some comparable lenses to the two Canon Lensees I was thinking
about for less money.

Are the Tamron lenses good?

Thanks,

roland
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 1:53:31 PM

Actually, I didn't find the quality all that bad.
I am not sure if this varies from lens to lens.
The Kiev Cameras and lenses would had this problem.
One would be good workmanship, and the next would not be so good.

One dealer would get better quality lenses and cameras then another
dealer.

It might depend on where you purchased the lens.

I also noticed a great improvement in the quality of the image by using
the UV filter
that came with the lens, instead of the plain glass filter that came
mounted on the
lens.

It was a little bit tough getting the plain glass filter off, as it is
screwed on fairly tight.
I did not screw the UV filter on as tight.

The UV filter also cut down a bit on the sun spots. Not as much as I
would have liked,
but a little bit.

roland
August 25, 2005 4:03:43 PM

> It would actually be in addition to the kit lens. I would keep the kit
> lens, as it does have the 18mm on the kit lens. I also have a 8mm
> Peleng lens, a 70-300 Canon lens, and a 500mm F-8 lens.

On a side note, how do you like the Peleng lens? I just bought one and
granted the quality is not the best but the effects are amazing, especially
when playing with the files and "defishing" the resulting image.

Jean
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 7:23:15 PM

In article <1124974565.690563.133790@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
rbehunin@alumni.weber.edu says...
> I did find a Tamron dealer here locally. I haven't bought 35mm lenses
> in years.
> So my infomation about 2nd party lenses is a bit dated. (I bought the
> 70-300mm lens when I had a Canon 35mm Rebel, and before that I ...
> well, I bought lenses with the Canon FD mount. Back then the 2nd party
> manufacturers sort of had bad reputations. This was pretty much across
> the board, Tamron, Sigma, Quantaray, Vivatar, and there were a couple
> of others. I really didn't consider the 2nd party lenses because of
> this. I guess times have changed. This lens is more money then I was
> thinking of spending.

These days the lenses by Tamron/Sigma/Tokina can outperform their Canon
equivalents. Quantaray and Vivatar are still regarded as poor, however.

> I did stop by the dealer locally who has the Tamron lenses last night.
> He had some comparable lenses to the two Canon Lensees I was thinking
> about for less money.
>
> Are the Tamron lenses good?

That depends on the lens :)  Particularly good Tamrons at the moment
are:
17-35mm f/2.8-4
24-135mm f/3.5-5.6
28-75mm f/2.8
90mm f/2.8 macro
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 7:43:50 PM

> Hi David,
>
> David A wrote:
>> "piperut" <rbehunin@alumni.weber.edu> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>

>> If I were you, I would look at this lens first as a general purpose
>> replacement for the Rebel 55 kit
>> http://www.photo.net/equipment/tamron/28_75_Di/
>
>> If you know enough about lens to reduce your search to the two lens
>> above,
>> then you should know what the difference between them is, and thus you
>> don't
>> need advise. Chances are you are like I was when I first started and you
>> don't know what you need yet, no insult intended.
>>

> It would actually be in addition to the kit lens. I would keep the kit
> lens, as it does have the 18mm on the kit lens. I also have a 8mm
> Peleng lens, a 70-300 Canon lens, and a 500mm F-8 lens.
>
> I am just looking for a good all around lens to use for most shots
> instead of the kit lens. Once in a while when I wanted the wide angle
> shot from the kit lens I would still want to use it.
>
> I did find a Tamron dealer here locally. I haven't bought 35mm lenses
> in years.
> So my infomation about 2nd party lenses is a bit dated. (I bought the
> 70-300mm lens when I had a Canon 35mm Rebel, and before that I ...
> well, I bought lenses with the Canon FD mount. Back then the 2nd party
> manufacturers sort of had bad reputations. This was pretty much across
> the board, Tamron, Sigma, Quantaray, Vivatar, and there were a couple
> of others. I really didn't consider the 2nd party lenses because of
> this. I guess times have changed. This lens is more money then I was
> thinking of spending.
>
> I did stop by the dealer locally who has the Tamron lenses last night.
> He had some comparable lenses to the two Canon Lensees I was thinking
> about for less money.
>
> Are the Tamron lenses good?
>
> Thanks,
>
> roland

Piperut,

The Tamron I mentioned seemed to get good reviews and it covers a modest
amount of territory. I think there are some good generic lens now - not L
series quality, but daily use good. The 28-75 tamron was one of a few that
seemed popular.

Consider renting lens......If you really do a lot of serious shooting - or
want to really figure out what works. I have rented several lens and learned
*Alot* this way.

Off topic.........One of my best lens is the Promaster 75-300 for $200. I am
constantly sticking my nose up at it, but in good light..... it has taken
some of my best shots! ........I have taken more bad shots with my Canon
85mm prime then all other lens combined probably. Its a powerful but
demanding lens. Lets see what kind of newsgroup conversations this starts :)

David
August 25, 2005 10:29:24 PM

Thanks for those tips, I will try that. I got mine from Kiev Cameras on
e-bay. I think for the price it can't be beat, there is no way in h... I
would buy a Sigma at 3 times the price which is the next lowest priced "fish
eye" available.

Jean

"piperut" <rbehunin@alumni.weber.edu> a écrit dans le message de
> Actually, I didn't find the quality all that bad.
> I am not sure if this varies from lens to lens.
> The Kiev Cameras and lenses would had this problem.
> One would be good workmanship, and the next would not be so good.
>
> One dealer would get better quality lenses and cameras then another
> dealer.
>
> It might depend on where you purchased the lens.
>
> I also noticed a great improvement in the quality of the image by using
> the UV filter
> that came with the lens, instead of the plain glass filter that came
> mounted on the
> lens.
>
> It was a little bit tough getting the plain glass filter off, as it is
> screwed on fairly tight.
> I did not screw the UV filter on as tight.
>
> The UV filter also cut down a bit on the sun spots. Not as much as I
> would have liked,
> but a little bit.
>
> roland

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 12:10:06 AM

piperut wrote:

> I did find a Tamron dealer here locally. I haven't bought 35mm lenses
> in years.
> So my infomation about 2nd party lenses is a bit dated. (I bought the
> 70-300mm lens when I had a Canon 35mm Rebel, and before that I ...
> well, I bought lenses with the Canon FD mount. Back then the 2nd party
> manufacturers sort of had bad reputations. This was pretty much across
> the board, Tamron, Sigma, Quantaray, Vivatar, and there were a couple
> of others. I really didn't consider the 2nd party lenses because of
> this. I guess times have changed. This lens is more money then I was
> thinking of spending.

I'm not real impressed with the one Tamron lens I own, but then again,
it's not supposed to be one of their better performing lenses.

I have been happy with Tokina's AT-X Pro lenses; good glass, solid
construction & good support from the manufacturer.

They've got a new 28 - 70

http://www.thkphoto.com/products/tokina/afl-03.html
!