GPU upgrade for desktop(HELP)

Hi, i own an Alienware X51 desktop currently containing an i5 quad core processor, 8gb 1333mhz ram and a Nvidia GTX555 GPU. i was wondering if the stock power supply and motherboard supplied from Alienware is enough to change to a Nvidia GTX660 card.
5 answers Last reply
More about upgrade desktop help
  1. can you take a look at the side of you psu and see watt psu you have. The one on dells site says its 300 watt but it comes with a newer gpu.
    Nvida suggests a Minimum of a 450 Watt power supply
  2. i have one with the ivy brigdge i5 and gtx 660...if you have a 330w power supply then yes you can, at max the 660 pulls 150w. but if you have the 240w power supply you won't be able to upgrade.
  3. Haha looks like Alienware went all out with those PSUs :-) GTX660 is very energy-efficient though (excellent choice by the way) and good advice from rostrow416. There should be a label on your PSU stating the wattage.
  4. Would I be able to upgrade the psu then put in a higher card the 660? Or will that run to hot or something
  5. devour0wn said:
    Would I be able to upgrade the psu then put in a higher card the 660? Or will that run to hot or something

Honestly there's not much to be gained from the cards immediately above the GTX660. Not enough to see a noticeable difference without a using framerate counter. In a few years when you get to a point where the GTX660 can no longer handle the latest games, the 7870, GTX660Ti and 7950 won't be able to either. To get a noticeable benefit and a little bit more future-proofing, you'd need to move right up to a GTX670, but that's quite a bit more money. The GTX660 is the best price/performance option - you chose well already :-)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Desktops Alienware Graphics