January 26, 2013 11:51:09 PM

Hello, i want a really small desktop, and i am thinking about building this:

case: silverstone SG05 +450W 80+ included psu___137€
gpu: sapphire HD7850 2gb (should i downgrade to 1gb?)___183€
cpu: i5-3470____180€
ram: corsair 8gb 1600mhz___45€
ssd: 120gb ocz vertex 3____99€
motherboard: Asrock H61M-ITX___65€

Total: 710€ (the goal was 700€, but no prob with +10€)

Only possible upgrade; 1TB HDD (only if i feel i will need it, because i have alot external ones)

My questions:

Would you change anything? (700€ max)
Should i change HD7850 2GB to 1GB? Will i see any difference for buying 2GB version? Max resolution i will play is 1920x1080p

Thank you for help!

More about : mini itx build

January 27, 2013 1:37:15 AM

seems good. stay with the 2gb version. youll need it. Pay a little extra for the 3570k version. Forget the SSD there's no need. Oh faster load times woo whoo... save the cash and upgrade the CPU and GPU 3570k and 7870... go with whatever size hdd you perfer... or keep your current setup, take out the SSD and get two 300GB 10k Seagate barracudas in RAID-0
January 27, 2013 1:48:46 AM

Don't get 3570k unless you're overclocking. SSD is a really good upgrade, i would get another one like the Vertex 4, or the Samsung 840 PRO. Nice GPU you can get the 7870 if you want, it is worth the money. Stay with 2gb it will be useful in the future. Get 1TB HDD + SSD.
Related resources
January 27, 2013 2:04:37 AM

Hi. Don't get a H61 motherboard because it will need a BIOS update to support Ivy Bridge CPUs; get a B75 or H77 motherboard instead. If you can get either the HD 7870 or GTX 660 for a little more, it would be a better graphics card at that resolution.
January 27, 2013 2:05:32 AM

Your biggest enemy in that small case will be heat. Find a local source for this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... to get GPU heat out of that little case. Your motherboard will thank you. If that card is not available or won't fit, scaling back to a HD7770 or GTX650Ti might be a good idea.
I would also not buy an OCZ Sandforce drive. Look for a Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 or 840.
Confirm that your chosen mobo supports Ivy Bridge CPUs out of the box.
I know you want small, but for the sake of cooling, you may wish to look into the Bitfenix Prodigy or Lian Li PC-Q08 for the additional cooling they provide.
January 27, 2013 11:32:23 AM

Hello all! Thank you , alot feedback there , so know i am confused about some things :) 

mspencerl87 About the SSD i will get one without doubt, i really need it :) 

loresr97 yeah thanks! i wont do overclock :)  i normally play at a laptop so i have no experience with overclock,i will think about 7870 difference is like 50€ on my country, dunno if i should (im not a hardcore gamer)

johnsonjohnson the H61 motherboard on the website they say that it support Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge , should it be ok?

Onus your reply was the one that confused me more, i was 3 weeks searching for a really easy to port and mini desktop case that can be able to fit gaming components, and i found SG05 , when i saw SG05 i loved the dimensions, i like SG07 & SG08 too, but sg07/08 is 200€+ :/  , Lian Li Q18 starts to be big for me, Bitfenix is enourmous, i really dont like it, when i say i want small , i am serious :D 

So why you think SG05 will be heat? i saw alot of configs even stronger than mine on a SG05, gpu cooling is very good on SG05, the problem might be cpu cooling, but i wont overclock etc, you sure about that??

What "gpu heat" really means btw?

Thanks for all your help, it is very usefull for me
January 27, 2013 1:04:39 PM

The HD7870 (and other powerful graphics cards) produce a lot of heat. Even if their coolers are quiet and effective, that heat isn't destroyed, it goes somewhere. I built a mini-ITX gamer using an ASRock Z77E-ITX, which is not a cheap board, and has decent cooling. Running at stock, with an i5-3570K and a HD7870 in a PC-Q08R, CPU temps were a little warm, but not too bad. I could feel a lot of warm air exhausting from that case though, a LOT, and then one day in the middle of a game it died. My diagnosis was a VRM on the mobo fried shorted. All other parts were good, in fact my rig Phoenix "rose from its ashes," with almost all the same parts (and the PSU is in use elsewhere). Maybe I got unlucky, but the only cause that possibly comes to mind is internal heat; I use Seasonic-built PSUs, with UPS units.
In your place now, I'd get either a weaker card that produces less heat, or one that exhausts that heat.
January 27, 2013 1:20:34 PM

But i am using HD7850 , not HD7870 .

Is SG05 able to fit all these components without providing problems soon or in the future? If i cannot use SG05 i dont know what to do, bitfenix is really big:

I need a case that would be easy to transport , on a sport suitcase like this: http://cdn.idealo.com/folder/Product/3583/6/3583622/s3_... , and that is not too expensive, the positive thing with SG05 is that it's extremely small and it costs 137€ with 450W 80+ included, so i am paying 137€ for a small case+good PSU , wich is not too expensive
January 27, 2013 2:43:05 PM

Well, a few years ago my wife traveled to El Salvador to visit her brother's family (she is from there), and I had built a micro-ATX system for them that she put in her carryon luggage. It was built in a micro-ATX case; the specific one is no longer available, but it was the size of this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
January 27, 2013 4:49:00 PM

That case is not so big for a micro-ATX, i saw in a shop here a micro-ATX case with like same dimensions for 29€, but the brand is "unknown one"

The case is like 380 x 175 x 352 mm with 500W psu included for 29€, is this lowcost m-atk cases good for gaming? there is no reviews etc.. http://www.pcdiga.com/bizizi/img_upload/produtos_1/49_1...

But i am still thinking about SG05, i saw alot of people using gpu's greater than HD7850 :x if i downgrade to GTX650Ti i wont have any problems? thanks for help
January 27, 2013 5:08:04 PM

Well, you wouldn't use a cheap generic PSU, but the case itself should be fine; just make sure it has sufficient airflow through it.
Will one of those HIS cards with the "Black Hole" cooler fit in the SG05? If the card exhausts its heat, you shouldn't have a problem.
I got the Z77E-ITX replaced (it's waiting for a CPU), and I'll probably use it again. Most likely though, I'll put a HD7750 on it; much weaker, but still enough for ANY current games. I'll need to turn settings down, but if the game itself is good, it will still be enjoyable.
January 27, 2013 5:10:07 PM

According to the CPU Support List that processor is supported since BIOS 1.70 which was released on June 13, 2012. I don't know which BIOS version the motherboard will come with so I suggested either a B75 or H77 motherboard. If you can find an EVGA GTX 660 priced close to the HD 7850 2GB, it will be a better choice since it will exhaust the heat out of the case instead of blowing it everywhere inside. You may need a better PSU though.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=CPU&Model=H61...
January 27, 2013 5:24:44 PM

I think i am confusing what are you saying.

Onus -> SG05 fits every card that is no longer than 10'' inches or 254mm. The graphic card i want is this one:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1...

It have double fans and it fits on SG05, and one of the "airflow" outputs from sg05 is right front graphic card:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/images/goods_dimension/sg...

Johnson EVGA GTX660 is even stronger than HD7850, why u say it will exhaust heat? Its because the fans? Sapphire HD7850 got the fans too.

I am understanding you wrong? :x
January 27, 2013 5:45:39 PM

The HIS card will definitely not fit then. The EVGA probably will. It will be louder, which may not matter to you. It will pull in air from the side, and exhaust most of it out the back, which is what you want.
January 27, 2013 6:50:44 PM

Onus the card size of HIS 7850 is 23cm or 230mm http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-698.shtml , SG05 case supports video card with the maximum of 254mm lenght, why do you say it will not fit?

What you mean is that doesnt matter if the graphic is better than another, but what matter is the cooling system?

http://postimage.org/image/oi9kmd3on/

Left cooling system(EVGA) is better than the right cooling system(Sapphire)?
January 27, 2013 6:56:39 PM

That is NOT the HIS model I'm describing; it does not exhaust its heat. THIS is the one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... which is 11.69" long, and probably too tall as well.

Edit: As to which is "better," the Sapphire-type cooler will do a better and quieter job of cooling the graphics card itself, but it doesn't exhaust the heat; it stays in your case. The blower-style cooler can be louder (the HIS is quiet though), but it gets much more of the heat OUT of the case, where it won't affect the cooling of other components.
January 27, 2013 7:11:50 PM

Ahh i get it know, sorry for misunderstanding, i didnt know the difference between that two type of coolers, but on Silverstone SG05 that wont be a problem, because like i said vga card location is near a air output: http://s7.postimage.org/jh35ba6ln/VGA.jpg

For what i read on reviews VGA cooling is not a problem, CPU cooling may be a problem, but i wont overclock so i think i am ok :x

I am still confused about 1GB vs 2GB , if i wont play ever more than 1080p resolution would 2gb be usefull?

Thanks really!
January 27, 2013 8:30:49 PM

The VGA card goes on the OTHER SIDE of the case; presumably there's a vent there too though.
If you load lots of high-res textures and like lots of AA, then 2GB may make a difference, BUT if those are your preferred settings, you'll want the HD7850 over the GTX660, which has a much narrower memory buss and is somewhat crippled in that regard. Limit your AA to 2X with a GTX660, or you'll begin to see performance hits.
January 31, 2013 11:11:54 AM

Onus said:
Your biggest enemy in that small case will be heat. Find a local source for this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... to get GPU heat out of that little case. Your motherboard will thank you. If that card is not available or won't fit, scaling back to a HD7770 or GTX650Ti might be a good idea.
I would also not buy an OCZ Sandforce drive. Look for a Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 or 840.
Confirm that your chosen mobo supports Ivy Bridge CPUs out of the box.
I know you want small, but for the sake of cooling, you may wish to look into the Bitfenix Prodigy or Lian Li PC-Q08 for the additional cooling they provide.

A quick correction here - Irrespective of controller OCZ drives have some issues in their implementation
January 31, 2013 9:59:36 PM

Fair enough; I'd buy someone else's Sandforce drive long before I'd consider any drive from OCZ.
April 19, 2013 5:53:05 PM

_TM said:
Hello, i want a really small desktop, and i am thinking about building this:

case: silverstone SG05 +450W 80+ included psu___137€
gpu: sapphire HD7850 2gb (should i downgrade to 1gb?)___183€
cpu: i5-3470____180€
ram: corsair 8gb 1600mhz___45€
ssd: 120gb ocz vertex 3____99€
motherboard: Asrock H61M-ITX___65€

Total: 710€ (the goal was 700€, but no prob with +10€)

Only possible upgrade; 1TB HDD (only if i feel i will need it, because i have alot external ones)

My questions:

Would you change anything? (700€ max)
Should i change HD7850 2GB to 1GB? Will i see any difference for buying 2GB version? Max resolution i will play is 1920x1080p

Thank you for help!

I can't give you much help, but if you haven't built yet, create/log in to a reddit account and post your build to reddit.com/r/buildapc
They are very helpful
They will probably suggest using pcpartpicker.com as well

!