Worth Getting a 3.0 card for a 2.0 mobo?

Hey all,

I'm modestly upgrading an older PC which has one PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot. I'm considering buying a 3.0 x16 video card (such as the Radeon 7770). Since the older mobo isn't 3.0 I'm assuming it won't benefit from some of the improvements.

Bottom line: is it worth it for me to buy the 7770?

P.S.--no, I'm not interested in upgrading the mobo at this time, but may definitely do so in the future.
5 answers Last reply
More about worth card mobo
  1. Yes, its worth it, if there is a difference it would be a minimum.
  2. There will be absolutely no difference for HD 7770 on which board it runs. It's too weak to take advantage of PCIe 3.0 slot.
  3. There are no cards that are even capable of saturating the full bandwidth of the PCIe2.0 slots.
    Even if you put a GTX 690 into a PCIe2.0 slot, you would see maybe a 5% fps drop using THAT card. (Two 580's onto one PCIe2.0 slot basically)

Absolutely nothing to worry about with this.
  4. count_rugen said:
    Hey all,

I'm modestly upgrading an older PC which has one PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot. I'm considering buying a 3.0 x16 video card (such as the Radeon 7770). Since the older mobo isn't 3.0 I'm assuming it won't benefit from some of the improvements.

Bottom line: is it worth it for me to buy the 7770?

P.S.--no, I'm not interested in upgrading the mobo at this time, but may definitely do so in the future.

GTX 650 ti is better at the same Price point.

nvidia-geforce-gtx-650-ti-review-gigabyte-vs-msi-vs-zotac-geforce-gtx-650-ti-vs-radeon-hd-7770

I know the drivers are too old and not up to date, but that difference has quite a gap.

The difference on PCIe 3.0 and PCIe 2.0 is very small. A couple of fps in various games.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards PCI Express Graphics