Opinion's on my build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomad29

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
Hello,

I'm a pretty big idiot when it comes to the components of a computer,but a few months ago I decided to build my own and i've been doing a lot of research on what parts to get. I will be mainly using this comp for gaming on cpu intensive games such as planetside 2, bf3, and some skyrim. I'm making the purchase through newegg.ca and I'd just like to get an opinion on my build first to see if there is anywhere I'm spending unnecessary money. Also will I need a CPU cooler or does one come with the CPU, because I am looking to OC a bit.

CPU: I5-2500k sandy 3.3ghz $225

GPU: Radeon 7850 (may go 660 ti but this is cheaper) $266

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H $130

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16gb (2x8) DDR3 1600 $80

Storage: Intel 330 120gb sata 3 SSD $104.99

Storage 2: Western Digital 16mb cache sata 6.0 gb/s 500gb $69.99

Power:OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W $95 after $30 rebate. I wasn't sure what to buy for power and I'm assuming this will be fine
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018

I also am looking at a 20$ dvd drive and for the tower I'm going to check out my local computer store to save on shipping

Total so far is $991 not including monitor, keyboard etc.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated before I go ahead with this and thanks in advance. This site has been outstanding in finding out about computer components.

Solution
Gaming benefits absolutely ZERO % from getting 16gb of ram. Just get 8gb of ram. The processor you have chosen is a last generation one, the newer one and the replacement of it would be the 3570K. The SSD is debatable. The PSU you chose is crap, grab a Corsiar CX500 for cheaper. Also you did not mention a case, for a good budget case grab the Cooler Master HAF 912. Other than that it is a great build.
EDIT: Don't forget to grab a CPU cooler because both the CPU and MOBO are overclocking ready. I suggest the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. Excellent low budget cooler and should serve you well to around 4.2ghz.
Aug 13, 2012
Gaming benefits absolutely ZERO % from getting 16gb of ram. Just get 8gb of ram. The processor you have chosen is a last generation one, the newer one and the replacement of it would be the 3570K. The SSD is debatable. The PSU you chose is crap, grab a Corsiar CX500 for cheaper. Also you did not mention a case, for a good budget case grab the Cooler Master HAF 912. Other than that it is a great build.
EDIT: Don't forget to grab a CPU cooler because both the CPU and MOBO are overclocking ready. I suggest the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. Excellent low budget cooler and should serve you well to around 4.2ghz.

Solution

Agree with the comments except for SSD and PSU. The SSD is debatable but I think you should keep it. You might try an M4 or OCZ Vertex instead. The OCZ ModXStream Pro is horrendous and should be outlawed. Even though Corsair is a good name they took some shortcuts on the builder series. Get a Seasonic 550W gold and be done with it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

Nomad29

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
Thanks for the replies, I'll certainly drop the memory down to the 8gb and I'll drop the PSU for a Seasonic . Also is there issues with the Intel SSD? As far as I can see it is virtually identical to the samsung one.

Intel had problems with their firmware which slowed down their drives but according to Tom's SSD roundup they have fixed it. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269.html

Status
Not open for further replies.