Help me please - Computer problem

I built a computer around august of 2012 and it was only meant for games such as LoL and Minecraft, you know the games that don't require much, i have another machine for heavier stuff, anyway. A friend came over to my place and i installed the game Tera on this for him and a few other mmos in the past but it has been fine for handling all mmos for when friends come around and stuff, but recently it has been crashing, mid game the screen will go black the speakers/headset will make a buzzing noise and then the buzz will stop but the computer will still be powered, personally i think it's the graphics card but i'm hoping it's not.
I would appreciate any input you guys can give me, thank you!

-PC SPECS-

CPU: AMD Phenom 965 x4 3.4ghz
MB: MSI-880GM-E41
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 550ti 1GB
RAM: 8gig corsair
20 answers Last reply
More about help computer problem
  1. A few possible solutions to this problem:

1: Make sure all your drivers are up to date

2: Clean any dust out of your computer -- this one is often the cause of such problems

3: Check the temp. of your GPU to make sure it's not cutting out

There is another possibility, but it's more involved. If you have a certain type of sound card or sound driver, some games can crash in this fashion. If you do the above and it still happens, that might do the trick. Try them and let us know, then we can try the sound issue.
  2. Is it the buzz of a fan that is slightly off center? Could be just about any fan that is trying to cool off the computer.
  3. most times with gpu lock up is that the fan on the gpu not spining up to speed to take care of the heat load. most newer gpu to keep the sound card from sounding like a jet engine keep the fan at 30-40 percent speed till a set temp is hit. I would download msi afterburner and set a 100 percent fan speed at 50-60c. see if the game still locks up. if it does then turn down the eye candy in the game and or turn down 4xx/aa in the game and in the video card control panel. with older slower cards it a trade of with the eye candy or fps.
  4. Thank you guys for all of the input, the fans are fine, i have had the computer open and i have also taken the graphics card and processor apart unscrewing everything to give it a thorougher clean. it is the sound of a buzz sound coming from the sound in my pc, it is not a hardware sound it comes from the speakers or headphones depending which i have in the computers ;p
    I have monitored the temps of the computer and everything goes over 60c the gpu goes to 80c at times, although it has been fine in the past only in this past week has it started playing up, i ordered a new case that is larger and has more fans also better cable management so that should be here monday, maybe it is this sound thing you mentioned Matilda
  5. Pachi said:
    Thank you guys for all of the input, the fans are fine, i have had the computer open and i have also taken the graphics card and processor apart unscrewing everything to give it a thorougher clean. it is the sound of a buzz sound coming from the sound in my pc, it is not a hardware sound it comes from the speakers or headphones depending which i have in the computers ;p
    I have monitored the temps of the computer and everything goes over 60c the gpu goes to 80c at times, although it has been fine in the past only in this past week has it started playing up, i ordered a new case that is larger and has more fans also better cable management so that should be here monday, maybe it is this sound thing you mentioned Matilda

You don't want a GPU going to 80*c. Might want to set up a fan curve to keep it under 79*c. Not *vital* but I don't like that sort of temp.

Can you tell me what sound cards and drivers you have? This is a reasonably common problem with Realtek devices.
  6. I have the realtek hd audio drivers and i use the integrated sound on the motherboard, i really don't know what it is, i was thinking maybe either the gcard or motherboard is fault as it has only just started happening
  7. also could you advise on how i can make it so that it doesn't reach over 80? maybe i should try to keep it at around 60? power isn't an issue i have a 750w corsair psu, even though it was a budget rig i didn't want to put a cheap psu in there
  8. Yeah, Realtek has issues with some games. Two options:

1: Use USB headphones in games that you know cause this lockups and crashes

2: Totally uninstall the Realtek drivers and reinstall the ones that come on the disc you get with your computer

As for the GPU:

Use a program like Precision X or MSI Afterburner to set up a fan curve for your GPU.

This is for a different GPU, but the basics are the exact same: http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overclocking-master-guide

Scroll down to the fan curve bit.
  9. thank you, not sure if it has worked because it is 4am here and i'm going to get off after configuring the fan curve and i will try it tomorrow, if it isn't any trouble, do you think you could make an ideal curve for me using the after burner? I'm pretty clueless when using programs such as these and don't want to break anything
  10. It's pretty easy. If you don't know much about it or just want a simple curve, you basically want to set the fan for it's min to be 30% at 30*c and it's max speed at 79*c.
  11. Just oging a little off topic here but would i actually need any more cooling than the fan i already have on my gpu for overclocking? if not i guess i'll overclock it now, i mean i thought that what the ti was for, but thank you, i see it now! i will hopefull try this out tomorrow and my computer won't crash, no crash so far
  12. Is your GPU one with a reference cooler like this?

If so, it won't overclock a ton. You don't need anything special to overclock it -- no special coolers or anything.

GPUs without reference coolers are better for overclocking, because they can keep the temps down easier. Like this:

Ideally, you want the GPU to never go above 69*c, as this is the point when it throttles to cool down and you will lose performance and possibly crash in situations where it as unstable. But it is safe to go right up to 79*c if you don't care about maximum performance.

Note that it will void your warranty and create excess heat that will sit in your case if you don't have good ventilation.
  13. my gpu looks like this
  14. I can pull the core up from 900 to 1350 and memory clock from 2050 to 2665, i think i'll wait until i get a new case for it before i overclock it for better cooling
  15. Setting things to maximum is certain to cause it to crash in game.

Overclocking is a process of small tweaks and tests.
  16. Ahh, i see, hmm, what would you recommend for a slight performance increase from my current setting? I have learnt a great deal by talking with you, thanks :)
  17. Overclocking can take some time and a lot of testing.

Set your GPU voltage to its max. Also set the Power Target it's max (120%).

Important step: set up the fan curve and test it to make sure your GPU doesn't reach 80*c. Preferably set it up so that it never reaches above 69*c. Keep checking the temps throughout overclocking when you are testing games.

Basically, you want to increase the core clock by 50 and then play a game for ten minutes. If it works fine, increase it by another 20. If it crashes, decrease it by 10. Keep doing either of those until you reach the limit, where it functions without crashing. Play a game for a good half an hour to make sure.

Write the stable core clock down on paper.

Then set the core clock back to default and increase the memory clock by 500. Try it again like you did with the core clock. If it works fine for ten minutes or more, increase it by another 100. If it crashes, decrease it by 50. Keep doing either of these until it's stable and working.

Write the stable memory clock down on paper.

Then set both core and memory clock to their maximum that you found stable using those above steps. Try a game for half an hour. It will most likely crash. Decrease core clock by 1 and memory by 10 if it does. Keep doing that until no games crash.

You can see anywhere from 5 to 10 frames improvement in some games. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Don't expect a whole new amazing experience, but you should see an improvement.

Your CPU and GPU aren't really that great, so if you really wanted to keep playing the newest games, you would most likely need to upgrade them.
  18. I know i have the other system for playing the later games but thank you! I'm going to attempt to play a game on this computer to see if it crashes, i'll also take a look at the temps and stuff, i don't think i'll overclock until i get a new case, I have learnt a lot from this and have some confidence in overclocking now
  19. Been running for about two hours now, gpu hasn't gone over 64*c and no crash after reinstalling drivers and setting a fan curve, thanks i'll post if i crash within the next hour or so
  20. Pachi said:
    Been running for about two hours now, gpu hasn't gone over 64*c and no crash after reinstalling drivers and setting a fan curve, thanks i'll post if i crash within the next hour or so

Glad it seems to be working for you :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Systems