compability mode in window XP :

is it safe to use compability mode in window XP ? ....running old dos game
under window 95 or window 98 ? i tried using it and my system crash ! .... i
was forced to reinstall again with the help of an computer repairman
technician.

any comments ?

regards
eddy toh

Hi Eddy,

Yes, it is safe to use compatibility mode. I don't remember any other
posts reporting system crashes as a result of using that function.

Here's more....

When a game is a DOS game, it could work using compatibility mode:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292533 or by using the Multiboot
bootdisk from: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lpcd/downloads.html
and always check at fileplanet.com to see if there's a patch available,
or search at: http://www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a :)

With DOSBOX you can emulate a DOS computer on your XP desktop:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/information.php Or try MS Virtual PC:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virtualpc/downloads/trial.asp
which allows you to install DOS or to run any operating system inside XP.

If you prefer to explore other advanced methods, here are two excellent
tutorials I've found on the subject: http://www.dosgames.com/faq.php and http://home.earthlink.net/~angeldancer27/XpGameList.htm For
sound
issues use: http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound Good Luck! :)

--