Sign in with
Your question

2 windows 7 questions

Last response: in Windows 7
March 9, 2012 2:47:51 AM

Hi all, I have two questions that I think should be easy to answer. I have Windows 7 Home Premium, which has 3 upgrade keys. I have used all 3. 2 on home built pc's and one on an HP.

Question 1: I have 2 hard drives I want to swap (because of size and speed). They both have windows 7 on them, if I swap them will it make my system think it's not a genuine copy of windows 7 or will I be ok? I know the authentication is tied to the Motherboards, so I think it should work but I just want to check.

Question 2: One of my systems is a 32bit, can I upgrade it to 64bit without it taking away an upgrade key? I ask because as I said I used all 3 upgrades already, 2 for 64 bit and 1 for 32 bit. I discovered my the Mobo that I have my 32bit installed on can actually use 64bit, so I wanted to upgrade it. If I will have to purchase another key, I just won't upgrade to 64bit.

More about : windows questions

a b $ Windows 7
March 9, 2012 3:09:33 AM

You are good.

1) Swapping hard drive is not considered a big change. It will probably not need reauthentication.

2) 32 or 64 bit use the same copy of the key when on the same motherboard. You can even dual boot if you want.
a b $ Windows 7
March 9, 2012 3:18:32 AM

The greater issue here is one of what computers did these 'new' hard drives that already have win7 on them come from? It's not like you can install Win7 on any machine and expect it to work properly in another computer. Geofelt is right on the legal end, but the practical end may be more difficult.

It would be far simpler to use acronis or some similar software to transfer everything to the new HDD from the old one, then there is no question of license, software, hardware, etc.
March 9, 2012 3:43:41 AM

Gotcha, thanks for the reply. Like I said I bought Home Premium which came with 32bit and 64bit, so If I can use the 64bit I would prefer to. I'll consider using that program if I do decide to swap hard drives in that manner! thanks for the quick help!
!