Sign in with
Your question

Would an i5-3570K bottleneck a 7870?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
December 11, 2012 8:51:53 PM

I am building my first rig and am planning on buying an i5-3570K and an XFX 7870. Would the CPU bottleneck my GPU?

Also, would a 7870 be a good idea to get if my resolution is 1680x1050?

More about : 3570k bottleneck 7870

December 11, 2012 8:55:06 PM

No on the bottleneck and yes for the resolution. Have fun!
m
l
December 11, 2012 8:55:57 PM

He beat me to it, I dont think the i5 3570k will bottleneck any non-sli/xfire setup.
m
l
Related resources
December 11, 2012 8:57:51 PM

The 7870 will bottleneck the Core i5-3570k.
m
l
December 11, 2012 9:01:38 PM

Sakkura said:
The 7870 will bottleneck the Core i5-3570k.

What?
m
l
December 11, 2012 9:02:17 PM

What sakkura said is correct. The HD 7870 will be the limiting factor in performance in a PC with i5-3570K.
m
l
December 11, 2012 9:06:55 PM

Sunius said:
What sakkura said is correct. The HD 7870 will be the limiting factor in performance in a PC with i5-3570K.

That's not a bottleneck...

That means you do not have a CPU bottleneck. GPUs aren't going to "bottleneck" CPUs because they don't pass work to the CPU.

Limiting factor in frames per second != bottleneck
m
l
December 11, 2012 9:13:14 PM

Bottleneck is exactly that.

Quote:
A bottleneck is a phenomenon where the performance or capacity of an entire system is limited by a single or limited number of components or resources.
m
l
Anonymous
December 11, 2012 9:18:47 PM

Sunius said:
Bottleneck is exactly that.

Quote:
A bottleneck is a phenomenon where the performance or capacity of an entire system is limited by a single or limited number of components or resources.

So I shouldn't get anything stronger than a 7870 with an i5-3570K? Did I get that right?
m
l
December 11, 2012 9:23:24 PM

Anonymous said:
So I shouldn't get anything stronger than a 7870 with an i5-3570K? Did I get that right?

Don't listen to them.

*ANY* GPU will be fine with an i5-3570k. It's a very strong CPU. Anyone who says a 7870 will bottleneck an IB i5 has no idea what they're talking about.
m
l
December 11, 2012 9:24:47 PM

Anonymous said:

no that means your i5 3570k is powerful enough work with even a hd7970/gtx680-

its your hd7870 that pales in comparison to the i5 3570k, I wouldn't use the word bottleneck tho
m
l
December 11, 2012 9:24:58 PM

No, there isn't a graphics card in the world that wouldn't limit i5-3570K, as that's the best CPU in the world. Bottleneck is an exaggerated term. There's a bottleneck in every system. It doesn't mean that the limited performance will be bad. It just means, well, that it's not unlimited performance (infinite fps anybody?). I hope that clears it up a bit :) .

hapkido said:
Anyone who says a 7870 will bottleneck an IB i5 has no idea what they're talking about.

I think you have no idea yourself.
m
l
December 11, 2012 9:31:08 PM

Sunius said:
No, there isn't a graphics card in the world that wouldn't limit i5-3570K, as that's the best CPU in the world. Bottleneck is an exaggerated term. There's a bottleneck in every system. It doesn't mean that the limited performance will be bad. It just means, well, that it's not unlimited performance (infinite fps anybody?). I hope that clears it up a bit :) .

I thought it was the cpu that always bottlenecks a gpu and hence we overclock our cpu to minimise the amount of bottlenecks as much as possible.
m
l
December 11, 2012 9:34:14 PM

Sunius said:
I think you have no idea yourself.

Getting better performance with a better graphics card does not mean the graphics card is a "bottleneck". A GPU cannot bottleneck a CPU since it does not assign work to the CPU. The CPU sends work to the GPU, the GPU does the work and sends it back. The bottleneck can only be on the CPU between those two components.
m
l
December 11, 2012 9:36:36 PM

shamsmu said:
I thought it was the cpu that always bottlenecks a gpu and hence we overclock our cpu to minimise the amount of bottlenecks as much as possible.

It can go either way. One of the misconceptions that 90% of people seem to have is that gaming is strictly GPU intensive. (not always true) There are games that are more CPU intensive...

But what Sunius is saying and right about is that a "Bottleneck" IS any component that limits the system as a wholes ability to perform. Doesn't mean that it performs bad. But hes right saying that a 7870 is the "bottleneck" The processor is capable of handling more... It can stay on par with a 680 or 690. (if you had a 680 fps would be higher, hence the 7870 is the limiting factor)

Sometimes the HDD will be the bottleneck, Or the Ram, Or the video card, Or the cpu, Even the psu can be.... It's different for each system depending entirely upon the application being used and what it utilizes.

@hapkido saying they have no idea what they are talking about is a bit extreme lol. Perhaps you should look up the definition and fully understand what is being talked about first.
m
l
December 11, 2012 9:38:08 PM

shamsmu said:

It's just as often the GPU that is the bottleneck, especially in FPS games. Something like BF3 singleplayer for example, there's no difference between a Pentium and a Core i7, the framerate scales almost directly with GPU performance.

Anyway, the point is: There's nothing wrong with pairing a Core i5-3570k and a Radeon HD 7870. You just have the headroom to upgrade to an even more powerful graphics card later, without the CPU holding it back.
m
l
December 11, 2012 9:38:54 PM

Sunius defined bottleneck exactly. It does not matter which information is going where, the bottleneck is at the weakest part of the system. If you're playing a game and your GPU clocks are running at 99%, then you have a GPU bottleneck: The GPU is the weakest part of the system when running that program.

To the OP, do not worry about the 3570k's performance, it can power ANY card you can buy right now. :) 
m
l
December 11, 2012 9:48:23 PM

hapkido said:
Limiting factor in frames per second != bottleneck

You know what factor limits the flow of liquid when you're pouring out of a bottle? The bottleneck. Limiting factor = bottleneck.
m
l
December 11, 2012 9:50:51 PM

@unoriginal1 and Sakkura

Yeah I understand that it can go either way depending on the process you are running but I was looking into a general picture- a cpu is usually the limiting factor when you compare it to any gaming gpu.

lol according to what sunius said, there will always be a bottleneck in every system. Cause with any gpu and gpu, one of them would always be a limiting factor. Technically, they dont come out with their matching counterparts.
m
l
December 11, 2012 9:51:11 PM

Saying a GPU bottlenecks a CPU is like saying your car's tires bottleneck its engine.

The terms "bottleneck" and "limiting factor" do not mean the same thing.

Bottleneck is when one component adversely (key word) affects the performance of another component -- like liquid flowing slowly out of a bottle with a narrow neck.

A slow GPU is not a bottleneck, it's a limiting factor. It is limiting the performance of your computer, but it is not adversely affecting the performance of any other part -- it's just slow. In the bottle example, the GPU is the bottle and the CPU is the neck.

Conversely, a slow CPU can adversely affect the performance of other components. So please, stop using the term bottleneck when you mean limiting factor.
m
l
December 11, 2012 10:00:37 PM

hapkido said:
Saying a GPU bottlenecks a CPU is like saying your car's tires bottleneck its engine.

The terms "bottleneck" and "limiting factor" do not mean the same thing.

Bottleneck is when one component adversely (key word) affects the performance of another component -- like liquid flowing slowly out of a bottle with a narrow neck.

It "Adversely" Affects the performance of the entire "System" ;) . But it's mute points.

Btw not to be a complete smart ass. But the type of tires on a car defiantly affect the performance overall. You can gain a good .5 - 1.5 secs on your quarter mile with some nice slicks vs street tires ;) .
m
l
December 11, 2012 10:07:13 PM

unoriginal1 said:
It "Adversely" Affects the performance of the entire "System" ;) . But it's mute points.

Btw not to be a complete smart ass. But the type of tires on a car defiantly affect the performance overall. You can gain a good .5 - 1.5 secs on your quarter mile with some nice slicks vs street tires ;) .

This is exactly what I'm talking about. You'd get better overall performance with better tires (or a better GPU), but it's not a bottleneck -- it's a limiting factor. It's not affecting the performance of your engine (or your CPU) by itself.
m
l
December 11, 2012 10:17:54 PM

hapkido said:
This is exactly what I'm talking about. You'd get better overall performance with better tires (or a better GPU), but it's not a bottleneck -- it's a limiting factor. It's not affecting the performance of your engine (or your CPU) by itself.

I see what your saying. I can agree with you on terming it as a "limiting factor".
m
l
December 11, 2012 10:20:03 PM

As stated no you will not see any problems running that setup, I'm running the same thing at the same resolution. Although I would recommend another card manufacture, if you search around from user experience those Double D cards are known to run very high VRM temps due to the cooler lacking in that area, it was a very interesting read but I can't find the website that reviewed it for the life of me but they reviewed the 7950 & 7970 if I remember correctly and all the major non-reference coolers along with the reference cooler using a thermal camera and the XFX non reference cooler was not any better than a plain AMD cooler that exhausts air out the back specifically in regards to the VRM area.
m
l
Anonymous
December 11, 2012 10:36:25 PM

Orlean said:
As stated no you will not see any problems running that setup, I'm running the same thing at the same resolution. Although I would recommend another card manufacture, if you search around from user experience those Double D cards are known to run very high VRM temps due to the cooler lacking in that area, it was a very interesting read but I can't find the website that reviewed it for the life of me but they reviewed the 7950 & 7970 if I remember correctly and all the major non-reference coolers along with the reference cooler using a thermal camera and the XFX non reference cooler was not any better than a plain AMD cooler that exhausts air out the back specifically in regards to the VRM area.

I'm not getting a Double D type of 7870. I'm getting the one with only one cooler. I read the reviews and temperature statistics on the single fan 7870 and the temps are good.
m
l
December 11, 2012 10:38:22 PM

hapkido said:

Bottleneck and limiting factor basically mean the same thing. I wouldn't call a GPU the bottleneck for a whole system when the system has multiple uses such as web browsing etc. However, in terms of gaming the GPU is the gaming bottleneck. E.g. the GPU is limiting the system when gaming, not any other components.

For the water example, the computer is the bottle. The water pouring out is the FPS. And the bottleneck is the GPU in this case :) 

A bottleneck is a phenomenon where the performance or capacity of an entire system is limited by a single or limited number of components or resources. The term bottleneck is taken from the 'assets are water' metaphor. As water is poured out of a bottle, the rate of outflow is limited by the width of the conduit of exit—that is, bottleneck. By increasing the width of the bottleneck one can increase the rate at which the water flows out of the neck at different frequencies. Such limiting components of a system are sometimes referred to as bottleneck points.

limiting factor
noun
Physiology . the slowest, therefore rate-limiting, step in a process or reaction involving several steps.

m
l
December 11, 2012 10:52:31 PM

I'm going to jump in here, not to split hairs on the definition of "bottleneck", but rather to point out that there are times when a 3570k could bottleneck a 7870 at 1680x1050. These occasions are:
1) Crysis 1: No matter how far you overclock the 3570k, you'll still get minimum frames in the low 50s, it's just that horribly optimized.
2) Crysis 2: OC to 4.4GHz on SB (4.2-4.3 for IB?) seems to prerender a minimum of 60 FPS.
3) Starcraft 2: Can bottleneck at stock in 4v4 battles. Bumping to 4.0GHz will get you a minimum of 60 FPS in standard matches, additional overclocks may be required for certain custom maps.
4) Battlefield 3: Haven't done extensive testing, but you'll certainly bottleneck in heavy multiplayer at stock settings.
5) Planetside 2: Heavy CPU bottleneck at stock, nothing that 4.4GHz can't fix.

I'm sure there are other situations, but these are the ones I know of for the games I own.
m
l
December 11, 2012 10:52:58 PM

Anonymous said:
I'm not getting a Double D type of 7870. I'm getting the one with only one cooler. I read the reviews and temperature statistics on the single fan 7870 and the temps are good.

Well in that case disregard my previous statement, I personally have not read or seen any data regarding the single fan model and cooling performance. But I did find that website finally: http://www.hardware.fr/articles/853-13/xfx-radeon-hd-79...
m
l
Anonymous
December 11, 2012 10:59:50 PM

cuecuemore said:
I'm going to jump in here, not to split hairs on the definition of "bottleneck", but rather to point out that there are times when a 3570k could bottleneck a 7870 at 1680x1050. These occasions are:
1) Crysis 1: No matter how far you overclock the 3570k, you'll still get minimum frames in the low 50s, it's just that horribly optimized.
2) Crysis 2: OC to 4.4GHz on SB (4.2-4.3 for IB?) seems to prerender a minimum of 60 FPS.
3) Starcraft 2: Can bottleneck at stock in 4v4 battles. Bumping to 4.0GHz will get you a minimum of 60 FPS in standard matches, additional overclocks may be required for certain custom maps.
4) Battlefield 3: Haven't done extensive testing, but you'll certainly bottleneck in heavy multiplayer at stock settings.
5) Planetside 2: Heavy CPU bottleneck at stock, nothing that 4.4GHz can't fix.

I'm sure there are other situations, but these are the ones I know of for the games I own.

Bottlenecking at Planetside 2? C'mon... That's one of the things I really didn't want to hear. Will it still be able to play on max though?
m
l
December 12, 2012 12:14:47 AM

Yep, just fine with an overclock.
Edit: Dunno about the graphics though, I have CF 7970s so I can't speak to a single 7870.
m
l
Anonymous
December 12, 2012 2:08:19 AM

Is a 7850 better than a 7870 if I OC it to 1050/1450? I might get that one. Will it be a good idea?
m
l
December 12, 2012 6:16:02 AM

HD 7870 will always be better than HD 7850.
m
l
December 12, 2012 6:50:21 AM

Yeah, what Sunius said. Because you can always overclock a 7850 to hit stock 7870 specs, but why not get a 7870 and OC that? You won't regret it.
m
l
Anonymous
December 12, 2012 10:45:03 AM

Can it overclock well (7870)?
m
l
December 12, 2012 12:17:16 PM

Yes.
m
l
December 12, 2012 7:56:03 PM

Yes, the i5-3570k will bottleneck the Radeon HD 7870. You should put that card in a safe place until 2016 when Intel releases Skymont in 2016. By then you should be able to get 5 FPS or 6FPS when playing Battlefield 3 at 640x480 resolution.

In the mean time grab the following hot device based on 23rd century technology to entertain yourself until then.

m
l
December 12, 2012 11:08:42 PM

jaguarskx said:
Yes, the i5-3570k will bottleneck the Radeon HD 7870. You should put that card in a safe place until 2016 when Intel releases Skymont in 2016. By then you should be able to get 5 FPS or 6FPS when playing Battlefield 3 at 640x480 resolution.

In the mean time grab the following hot device based on 23rd century technology to entertain yourself until then.

http://www.gavingough.com/wp-content/uploads//2009/06/3631925299_7177245e90_b.jpg

This is awesome, and impressive.
m
l
February 18, 2013 12:40:48 AM

im getting the same graphics card and cpu for my build, and i wanna say this: the i5 can handle the gpu, the i5 is actually too good 4 the gpu, but it's still a good gpu, its just the i5 can handle much much more. also i would reccomend getting the double d edition, well at least i would if you were buying the gpu from xfx, the double d edition is cheaper than core (weird) so i picked double d for my build. anyway it depends on your personal preference, but there is no bottleneck in that system.
m
l
!