New Western Digital HD

G

Two weeks I was scanninig hard manufacture web sites to see if I could find a low cost option for a quick hard drive. I ended up at Western Digital and saw a ad for there special addition 120gig hd. This one is worth a look! It has an 8mb cache and there is a noticable difference in the performance. The specs are as follows:

Model: WD1200JB
Size: 120 gig
Mode: ATA 100
RPM: 7200
Cache: 8mb
Price: $373.00 (Comp USA Corporate account, included shipping)

Specs page: http://www.wdc.com/products/products.asp?DriveID=27

Check it out.

I have a need for speed!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yup, you're probably looking at the fastest IDE drive available.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Digital HD

Storage review has really good numbers for that one.
I think they tried it out raid0 too.
Wow!! 2 120GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache Hard drives in a RAID0. That sounds SWEET!!!!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

Still cheaper then scsi and it bench marked higher then my maxtor firewire drive (SiSoft Sandra)!!

I have a need for speed!

G

I could see why it would get higher then the Maxtor FireWire drive because the drive in the enclosure is limited to the 400mb that 1394/FireWire provides. That's burst speeds of 50MB per/sec.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Burst rate is unimportant in constant data transfers. But 50MB/s is still a bottleneck as modern drives are now approaching that sustained speed.

G

I understand that burst means nothing. That just tells you how slow it really is .. doesn't it? So it's not really that good of a comparison.

G

The hardware mfg's are going about this all wrong. First off, the bottle neck has always been the drive. The whole idea is to make the fsb the bottle neck. They should be focusing on faster storage media rather then a 5000mhz processor running on a 500mhz fsb. Otherwise, the drive is allways going to slow the system down. What good is it to render graphics or dv video in record time if it takes 20 minutes to open or save it?

I have a need for speed!