Haven't bought yet - Anyone a Railfan?

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 24, 2005 10:46:08 PM

I think that I will buy the Pentax DL.
What are my fellow railfans buying? Does
any other railfan have the new Pentax or
the DS model?

Bill

--
---
William O'Hara

More about : bought railfan

August 25, 2005 12:59:59 AM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 18:46:08 -0500, "William O'Hara" <whoohara@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I think that I will buy the Pentax DL.
>What are my fellow railfans buying? Does
>any other railfan have the new Pentax or
>the DS model?
>
>Bill

I'm a bit of a railfan... I have a Nikon D70... love it!
August 26, 2005 2:05:58 AM

<whoohara@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I think that I will buy the Pentax DL.
>What are my fellow railfans buying? Does

Well,

THIS railfan (a/k/a "foamer") has accumulated 2 Nikon F2 bodies, one
motor drive for the F2s, 1 N90s body, and 8 Nikon lenses ranging from
24 to 500 mm.

This same railfan is pondering whether to buy an D70s or go for the
"better image" and more rugged D2X. Only thing holding THIS railfan
back is that there are occasional but persistent rumors of a Nikon
full-frame sensor body, sometimes referred to as the D3.

Plus, this railroad will buy a Nikon scanner, probably the 5000ED, to
scan in perhaps six-seven thou of black and white negs plus roughly
the same number of slides, mostly Kodachrome.

This railfan also has a Pentax V Spotmeter, bought recently on Ebay,
plus an old Leitz table-top tripod, and numerous filters, extra
lenscaps, etc., etc., etc., oh my aching back!

What is your favorite road? Mine would have to be (1) the old SP, (2)
the old PRR (love them GG1s), and (3) the SNCF. Also the NYC and
Chicago transit systems. Amtrak, I dunno.

Kodak
>any other railfan have the new Pentax or
>the DS model?
>
>Bill
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 11:34:31 AM

Father Kodak <dont_bother@IDontCare.COM> wrote in
news:o c8tg1psdnd4e26t795pg562tcri0qkcus@4ax.com:
> What is your favorite road? Mine would have to be (1) the old SP, (2)
> the old PRR (love them GG1s), and (3) the SNCF. Also the NYC and
> Chicago transit systems. Amtrak, I dunno.

The IC. Some of the reviews gave the PENTAX DS
a bad review on the stock settings for contrast...
so that would be one of the first things that I play
with...I'm thinking of ordering it on Sept 1st...

--
---
William O'Hara

Father Kodak wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 18:46:08 -0500, "William O'Hara"
> <whoohara@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>I think that I will buy the Pentax DL.
>>What are my fellow railfans buying? Does
>

> Well,
>
> THIS railfan (a/k/a "foamer") has accumulated 2 Nikon F2 bodies, one
> motor drive for the F2s, 1 N90s body, and 8 Nikon lenses ranging from
> 24 to 500 mm.
>
> This same railfan is pondering whether to buy an D70s or go for the
> "better image" and more rugged D2X. Only thing holding THIS railfan
> back is that there are occasional but persistent rumors of a Nikon
> full-frame sensor body, sometimes referred to as the D3.
>
> Plus, this railroad will buy a Nikon scanner, probably the 5000ED, to
> scan in perhaps six-seven thou of black and white negs plus roughly
> the same number of slides, mostly Kodachrome.
>
> This railfan also has a Pentax V Spotmeter, bought recently on Ebay,
> plus an old Leitz table-top tripod, and numerous filters, extra
> lenscaps, etc., etc., etc., oh my aching back!
>
> What is your favorite road? Mine would have to be (1) the old SP, (2)
> the old PRR (love them GG1s), and (3) the SNCF. Also the NYC and
> Chicago transit systems. Amtrak, I dunno.
>
> Kodak
>
>>any other railfan have the new Pentax or
>>the DS model?
>>
>>Bill

A bit of advice from a voice of experience. 1.) Find a nice used D100
or a Kodak DCS 14NX 2.) forget the D3 3.) buy a Microtek Pro scanner
which includes Silverfast (used if you have to).

For the effort you want to put in, don't screw around.

Jan
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 1:09:15 AM

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:05:56 GMT, JMW <jwidome1@verizon.net> wrote:

>Father Kodak wrote:
>

>A bit of advice from a voice of experience. 1.) Find a nice used D100
>or a Kodak DCS 14NX 2.) forget the D3 3.) buy a Microtek Pro scanner

From what I've read, the D100 has inferior image quality to the D70s.
Yes/no? And the Kodak DCS cameras have been plagued, pardon the pun,
with software bugs. No?

Why "forget the D3?" I've been shooting analog for close to 40 years.
I can wait another 12-18 months if necessary.

Why a Microtek Pro scanner, presumably in preference to the Nikon
5000ED?

>which includes Silverfast (used if you have to).

Ah, Silverfast. The only apparent competitor to VueScan for
third-party scanner software.

From my very limited dealings with Silverfast, their pricing is
designed to separate me from money worse than any case of NAS (NIkon
Acquisition Syndrome). E.g. I have an Epson flatbed scanner and I
will buy probably a Nikon film scanner. To Silverfast, that is 2
entirely separate purchases, no 'second system' credit or anything
like that. If I upgrade from say an older Nikon scanner that I buy
used on ebay, and then get the 5000ED, that is two separate purchases.

I want to keep an open mind on this. Why is Silverfast still in
business? What justifies their higher pricing and incredibly
user-hostile pricing model?

>For the effort you want to put in, don't screw around.

Agreed about that. I never step on bare third rails.

>Jan
August 28, 2005 12:58:11 AM

Father Kodak wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:05:56 GMT, JMW <jwidome1@verizon.net> wrote:
>

>>Father Kodak wrote:
>>

>>A bit of advice from a voice of experience. 1.) Find a nice used D100
>>or a Kodak DCS 14NX 2.) forget the D3 3.) buy a Microtek Pro scanner
>

> From what I've read, the D100 has inferior image quality to the D70s.
> Yes/no? And the Kodak DCS cameras have been plagued, pardon the pun,
> with software bugs. No?
>
> Why "forget the D3?" I've been shooting analog for close to 40 years.
> I can wait another 12-18 months if necessary.
>
> Why a Microtek Pro scanner, presumably in preference to the Nikon
> 5000ED?
>

>>which includes Silverfast (used if you have to).
>

> Ah, Silverfast. The only apparent competitor to VueScan for
> third-party scanner software.
>
> From my very limited dealings with Silverfast, their pricing is
> designed to separate me from money worse than any case of NAS (NIkon
> Acquisition Syndrome). E.g. I have an Epson flatbed scanner and I
> will buy probably a Nikon film scanner. To Silverfast, that is 2
> entirely separate purchases, no 'second system' credit or anything
> like that. If I upgrade from say an older Nikon scanner that I buy
> used on ebay, and then get the 5000ED, that is two separate purchases.
>
> I want to keep an open mind on this. Why is Silverfast still in
> business? What justifies their higher pricing and incredibly
> user-hostile pricing model?
>
>>For the effort you want to put in, don't screw around.
>

> Agreed about that. I never step on bare third rails.
>
>>Jan

As I recall, I've only heard of the D70 exceeding the D100 as having
been said by Nikon. They're probably so similar that the difference is
not worth the worry.

The Kodak DCS Pro is discontinued. It is a major, major pain in the
ass. Unfortunately, the full size sensor along with Kodak's design lead
to pictures which just cannot be matched for quality. Even using it at
6mp it still outperforms.

If history is any lesson, the D3 will enter the market buggy. (To wit,
the D70 second version...) Maybe the D3 Version 2 might be a winner, but
I doubt that's only 18 months away.

On the scanner issue, the closer your scan is to the final product, the
better a job your post-scan software will do. The Pro versions of the
Microtek products should come with Silverfast and maybe even Kodak's IT8
standard reference targets. At a greater price, of course. Assuming
you take the time to learn just what this can do, you arm yourself with
good tools - and I have saved some of my truly worst pictures by going
this route.

You may find other routes which do the same or even better, but as I
said, this was the voice of experience (mine).

Good luck.

Jan
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 12:58:12 AM

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 20:58:11 GMT, JMW <jwidome1@verizon.net> wrote:

>Father Kodak wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:05:56 GMT, JMW <jwidome1@verizon.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Father Kodak wrote:

Jan,

Focusing (bad, bad pun!) here on the camera body.

>The Kodak DCS Pro is discontinued. It is a major, major pain in the
>ass. Unfortunately, the full size sensor along with Kodak's design lead
>to pictures which just cannot be matched for quality. Even using it at
>6mp it still outperforms.

What is the "takeaway?" It's a pain in the arse, yet it outperforms?
Outperforms what? Why is it a pain in the arse? compared with say
the D2X?

>If history is any lesson, the D3 will enter the market buggy. (To wit,
>the D70 second version...) Maybe the D3 Version 2 might be a winner, but
>I doubt that's only 18 months away.

Probably true enough, but Nikon has released firmware upgrades for the
D70.

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 12:58:12 AM

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 20:58:11 GMT, JMW <jwidome1@verizon.net> wrote:

Just on the scanner this time:

>> Why a Microtek Pro scanner, presumably in preference to the Nikon
>> 5000ED?
>>

>>>which includes Silverfast (used if you have to).
>>

>> Ah, Silverfast. The only apparent competitor to VueScan for
>> third-party scanner software.
>>
>> From my very limited dealings with Silverfast, their pricing is
>> designed to separate me from money worse than any case of NAS (NIkon
>> Acquisition Syndrome). E.g. I have an Epson flatbed scanner and I
>> will buy probably a Nikon film scanner. To Silverfast, that is 2
>> entirely separate purchases, no 'second system' credit or anything
>> like that. If I upgrade from say an older Nikon scanner that I buy
>> used on ebay, and then get the 5000ED, that is two separate purchases.
>>
>> I want to keep an open mind on this. Why is Silverfast still in
>> business? What justifies their higher pricing and incredibly
>> user-hostile pricing model?
>>

>On the scanner issue, the closer your scan is to the final product, the
>better a job your post-scan software will do. The Pro versions of the

That is a given.

>Microtek products should come with Silverfast and maybe even Kodak's IT8
>standard reference targets. At a greater price, of course. Assuming

Presumably I could buy Silverfast and the IT8 target along with a
Nikon scanner. It all comes down to total dollars.

>you take the time to learn just what this can do, you arm yourself with
>good tools - and I have saved some of my truly worst pictures by going
>this route.

I agree about 250% with you. (give or take a few.) What I'm trying
to do is "isolate" the choices and issues:

1. Is the right Microtek Pro scanner better than the Nikon 5000ED?

2. Is Silverfast a better choice for scanner software than the
built-in Nikon software or VueScan?

>You may find other routes which do the same or even better, but as I
>said, this was the voice of experience (mine).

That's the voice I want to listen to.

Vater Kodak

>Good luck.
>
>Jan
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 9:32:35 AM

In article <Xns96BCC91D52452KB1IUB223223n1eyLOCK@216.196.97.142>,
"William O'Hara" <whoohara@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think that I will buy the Pentax DL.
> What are my fellow railfans buying? Does
> any other railfan have the new Pentax or
> the DS model?

I railfan the SP (UP) and ATSF (BNSF) in the San Francisco Bay Area and
much of Northern California.

Before I went digital I used a Canon A-1. For the cost of film and
developing for a year I bought an Olympus D490Z. I decided to go for
the little point and shoot as I'd gotten tired of lugging around the SLR
and camera bag.

But a few weeks ago the Olympus wouldn't power despite what I tried. I
was going on a trip and didn't want to be without a camera so in a bit
of a hurry I went with a Dimage Z5. I wanted something with a longer
telephoto but not the bulk (nor price) of an interchangeable lens DSLR.
I like the compactness of the Z5 and so far I've been impressed with the
pictures. It isn't so good in low light which I've kind of wanted to
play with but it isn't a show stopper.

I also like the video capability, it will shoot 640x480x30fps + sound
till the card runs out of room. That could be up to 30 minutes. That's
a lot better than the smaller 15 second clip my Olympus could do.

--
Clark Martin

August 31, 2005 11:28:29 AM

> of a hurry I went with a Dimage Z5. I wanted something with a longer
> telephoto but not the bulk (nor price) of an interchangeable lens DSLR.
> I also like the video capability, it will shoot 640x480x30fps + sound
> till the card runs out of room. That could be up to 30 minutes. That's
> a lot better than the smaller 15 second clip my Olympus could do.

I've seen the prices on these units and they are much lower.
The video option is intriguing but doesn't really suit my
railfanning style. I often chase just as much as sitting
still in one place. Video isn't something that I ever got
hooked on.

Bill

--
---
William O'Hara

In article <Xns96C3563777D99KB1IUB223223n1eyLOCK@216.196.97.142>,
"William O'Hara" <whoohara@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > of a hurry I went with a Dimage Z5. I wanted something with a longer
> > telephoto but not the bulk (nor price) of an interchangeable lens DSLR.
> > I also like the video capability, it will shoot 640x480x30fps + sound
> > till the card runs out of room. That could be up to 30 minutes. That's
> > a lot better than the smaller 15 second clip my Olympus could do.
>
> I've seen the prices on these units and they are much lower.
> The video option is intriguing but doesn't really suit my
> railfanning style. I often chase just as much as sitting
> still in one place. Video isn't something that I ever got
> hooked on.

I don't use it often but every once in awhile I like to see things move.
Just today I shot some video of a steam engine being turned on the
turntable and then chugging off.

--
Clark Martin

September 10, 2005 4:42:04 PM

Clark Martin <cmnews@sonic.net> wrote in

> In article <Xns96C3563777D99KB1IUB223223n1eyLOCK@216.196.97.142>,
> "William O'Hara" <whoohara@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> > of a hurry I went with a Dimage Z5. I wanted something with a
>> > longer telephoto but not the bulk (nor price) of an interchangeable
>> > lens DSLR. I also like the video capability, it will shoot
>> > 640x480x30fps + sound till the card runs out of room. That could
>> > be up to 30 minutes. That's a lot better than the smaller 15
>> > second clip my Olympus could do.
>>
>> I've seen the prices on these units and they are much lower.
>> The video option is intriguing but doesn't really suit my
>> railfanning style. I often chase just as much as sitting
>> still in one place. Video isn't something that I ever got
>> hooked on.
>
> I don't use it often but every once in awhile I like to see things
> move. Just today I shot some video of a steam engine being turned on
> the turntable and then chugging off.

Yes. Locomotion is very attractive under video.

Just got the Pentax. Loving it so far.

--
---
William O'Hara