AMD H7950 and Corsair HX620W PSU

unrealpg

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Hi,
I have recently purhased a Radeon H7950;and foolishly believed that my PSU would e up to the job.

It appears hower, that the card requires 1 6pin PCIE and 1 8pin PCIE. My PSU does not have the 8pin connection.
So I decided in my infinite wisdom (after looking around a little), that it would be okay to just connect both of my 6pins.

Now it appears as if the card is turning on, but producing no output.
I'm concerned that I may have broken it. However, I don't know if this is normal behaviour or not?

If I need to, I can replace the PSU (if so, can you give <= £100 PSU recommendations?); however, only if it is definitely just by design that there is no GPU output?

Please give me as much information as possible; I'm quite desperate to solve this.

Many thanks for any assistence.

ttcboy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
There is nothing wrong with plugging 6pin PCI-E power supply head to 8pin socket because after all, for most of the PSU 8pin is made of 6+2pin, which can either use as 6 or 8pin variation.

For power requirements of ur new PSU, head over here and calculate http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Before you buy new PSU, make sure to check it have enough connections to power ur rig.

Oversizing of PSU is not recommended because modern PSU perform most efficient on 50%~80% of the rated wattage unless u plan to Cross fire in the future.

Make sure u get reputable makers such as XFX, Corsair, Antec, etc..

4745454b

Titan

The first release of the HX620 only came with 6 pin pcie connectors, also had a seperate 4 pin ATX and 8 pin EPS that were done away with on Revision 2

unrealpg

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Thanks very much for the help guys.
I am going to acquire a 6 to 8 pin adapter from Maplin. Hopefully that will do the job (otherwise I'll have to get another PSU).

The thing that confused me the most, was that the GPU,seems to not produce any output. I would have thought it might run underclocked.

Apologies for the bump, I won't do it again.

4745454b

Titan
The 2900XT was the only card I know of that didn't NEED the 8pin plug. If you plugged in a 6pin plug where the 8 should go it would run, but not allow OCing. I've never heard of any other card that had an 8 but would run with a 6. Your card does what ever other card does when not receiving the power it wants. It flat doesn't run.