Closed Solved

Wireless N Adapter worse then G!

Hello,
I've just purchased a wireless N adapter and installed it in my PCI bus on my computer. It is picking up the signal from my router (same room one floor down) but only just. I have a laptop with wireless G, and a samsung galaxy s2 (N wireless) that are getting strong signal in the same place.

I called the manufacturer and they have said that I should upgrade my router to N wireless but I don't know if that is the problem as both my other devices, G & N are working fine with the router.

Should I fork out for a new router in the hope that it will make my adapter do it's job or since it is doing so poorly at the moment compared to my other devices should I just return it?
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about wireless adapter worse
  1. In order to utilize the full wireless N standard you would need both wireless N adapter and a wireless N router.

Even though your wireless N adapter is backwards compatible with a wireless G router your connection is only as fast as the weakest link.
  2. Hi,

thanks for your answer! What is your opinion on routers that say they are both g and n?

My router is an Orcon Genius, here are the specs:

Wireless LAN 802.11b/g, 802.11n
    up to 54Mbps (802.11g), up to 300Mbps (802.11n)
    2.4 GHz to 2.484GHz Frequency
    2(Tx) x2 (Rx) Internal Antennas
    Security: 64/128 bits WEP data encryption, WPA/WPA2
    (Wi-Fi Protected Access)
    Multiple SSID
    802.11e Wireless QoS (WMM/WME)
    MAC address-based access control

Do you think that my n adapter should work with this?
  3. Best answer
    Don't have much of an opinion on N routers. The MIMO tech is nice.

Your n adapter should work fine any access point.
  4. Best answer selected by tammytamtamsen.
  5. Thanks very much Skaz
  6. no problem man, good luck.
  7. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Connectivity Wireless Routers Wireless Networking