Question about building a pc for photo processing and gaming

Jeffrodoe

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Please forgive me, as I am a little behind in pc technology. I'm hoping that one of the gurus here can/will help me.

I am a pro photog. I'm about to have a custom PC built that will mainly be used for processing images, but also some gaming. I'm wanting as much bang for the buck as I can get, even going for liquid cooling if necessary.

I've always been an AMD fan, so I looked up a few options and have some questions.

1) Would an AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology on a GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AMD 990FX Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard with 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory be a good CS5 plus gaming set up?

2) I've heard the Nvidia cards work best with CS5. So would a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card work for me?

Does anyone know how a color calibrator will work with one of these ? Just curious.

look at this months toms build. amd chips are better for photoshop and some real world apps. intel cpu are still the top when it comes to not bottle necking a gpu in a game. you dont need a liquid cooled system...over clocking shortens the life of parts as your running them over there rated spec. i would start with a good nxt or r400/r500 case. good cases now let work on both sides of the mb cpu area and have room for long gpu cards. they also have slots/room to hide cables. some have where you just slide in your cd-rom or hard drive and it locks in. i would spend the money for a 256g ssd as the boot/main drive and a few storage drives. dont go cheap on the power supply..make sure it bronze rated and a good name brand. myself im from the old school of pc...use a fan controller..nice quiet fans and a large metal heatsink...dont overclock it and the rig if the parts are good parts..last for few years...then give the system so someone that needs a system that none gaming or hard core gaming. fasn controller i can set the fans once and then leave them unless the room get real hot then i can turn them up. some of the newer 120mm fans are real quiet. if you can get silent 120/140mm fans then get a case with larger 300mm fan..larger the fan the slower it has to run. a lot of vendor now are making sealed water system. have to ask the guild how well they stand up. if the pump dies on a sealed unit your rig going to be down till the parts come in.