Sign in with
Your question

Question about building a pc for photo processing and gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 11, 2012 10:15:03 PM

Please forgive me, as I am a little behind in pc technology. I'm hoping that one of the gurus here can/will help me.

I am a pro photog. I'm about to have a custom PC built that will mainly be used for processing images, but also some gaming. I'm wanting as much bang for the buck as I can get, even going for liquid cooling if necessary.

I've always been an AMD fan, so I looked up a few options and have some questions.

1) Would an AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology on a GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AMD 990FX Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard with 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory be a good CS5 plus gaming set up?

2) I've heard the Nvidia cards work best with CS5. So would a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card work for me?

Does anyone know how a color calibrator will work with one of these ? Just curious.
a b Î Nvidia
a b 4 Gaming
December 12, 2012 12:39:59 AM

look at this months toms build. amd chips are better for photoshop and some real world apps. intel cpu are still the top when it comes to not bottle necking a gpu in a game. you dont need a liquid cooled system...over clocking shortens the life of parts as your running them over there rated spec. i would start with a good nxt or r400/r500 case. good cases now let work on both sides of the mb cpu area and have room for long gpu cards. they also have slots/room to hide cables. some have where you just slide in your cd-rom or hard drive and it locks in. i would spend the money for a 256g ssd as the boot/main drive and a few storage drives. dont go cheap on the power supply..make sure it bronze rated and a good name brand. myself im from the old school of pc...use a fan controller..nice quiet fans and a large metal heatsink...dont overclock it and the rig if the parts are good parts..last for few years...then give the system so someone that needs a system that none gaming or hard core gaming. fasn controller i can set the fans once and then leave them unless the room get real hot then i can turn them up. some of the newer 120mm fans are real quiet. if you can get silent 120/140mm fans then get a case with larger 300mm fan..larger the fan the slower it has to run. a lot of vendor now are making sealed water system. have to ask the guild how well they stand up. if the pump dies on a sealed unit your rig going to be down till the parts come in.
m
l
!