Sign in with
Your question

SLI Doesnt work GTX 660 Ti's

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 11, 2012 10:16:43 PM

Ok so I have an SLI setup of ASUS GTX 660 ti's and when I have both running in sli they perform no better than when I have a single card running. LITERALLY no difference in fps either on games or benchmarks. I called ASUS customer support and they want me to rma but there are nothing wrong with the cards since they both work fine when they are by them selves.

I have also tried different SLI cables as well as running the cards in 16x by 16x and 8x by 8x

My system:

MSI 990fx GD80v2 Motherboard
SLI ASUS GTX 660 Ti's
AMD FX-8150 @4.2GHz Liquid cooled
8GB Corsair Vengeance
Rosewil 850w PSU

ANY help/advice would be appreciated!
December 11, 2012 10:24:18 PM

hmm..... this brings back memories of my old experiences with sli....

Have you examined both the sli bridge connections on the cards themselves?
I have encountered a few cards over the years that have
broken pins(missing gold section on connector) on the sli/crossfire connectors
but never one from asus... still worth a quick check..

also what is GPU-Z saying about the connection? is SLI showing up?
m
l
December 11, 2012 10:29:11 PM

cainy1991 said:
hmm..... this brings back memories of my old experiences with sli....

Have you examined both the sli bridge connections on the cards themselves?
I have encountered a few cards over the years that have
broken pins(missing gold section on connector) on the sli/crossfire connectors
but never one from asus... still worth a quick check..

also what is GPU-Z saying about the connection? is SLI showing up?

Just took a flash light out and checked all the sli connections and everything checks out, they are not damaged. And GPU-Z as well as the NVIDIA control panel recognizes that there are to cards and that they are in SLI configuration.

Cards are also not overclocked.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2012 10:30:38 PM

1) Make sure both the SLI are pluged in, no connection problems
2) your power supply supports SLI, has enough Watts
3) your MOBO supports SLI (Im sure it is)
4) Examine the cards for broken pins/messed up connectors

Good Luck!
m
l
December 11, 2012 10:36:47 PM

:S In that case..... I have no idea quite honestly....
short of uninstalling drivers, running driver sweeper and starting over with nvidia drivers
m
l
December 11, 2012 10:49:43 PM

I took a good look at both cards for damaged pins and had no luck. I have also just tried another 4 different SLI cables and still no joy.

And I have re installed required drivers multiple times today both Full and Beta drivers also no joy. :( 
m
l
December 11, 2012 11:05:18 PM

And to be clear both cards run fine when on their own. But I see absolutely no increase in performance. Just the same frames as if only 1 of the cards were running.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2012 11:11:39 PM

is SLI or Maximize 3D settings enabled in the NV control Panel??
m
l
December 11, 2012 11:15:50 PM

redeemer said:
is SLI or Maximize 3D settings enabled in the NV control Panel??

Yes, it is enabled.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2012 11:29:09 PM

What games/benches/etc have you ran? Its possible the selection of said things don't have SLi support.

Another possibility is you could be at 60fps (or 120 if your monitor supports it) and Vsync is enabled in the drivers.
m
l
December 11, 2012 11:32:38 PM

I have ran furmark, kombuster, BF3, and metro 2033 and im pretty sure that they all support sli.

And I have disabled adaptive v-sync in the driver settings as well as the in game v-sync settings.
m
l
a c 200 U Graphics card
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
December 11, 2012 11:38:36 PM

with gpu-z make sure both video cards have the same bios and device id. also make sure there the same model and ram speed.
make sure your mb has the newest bios. there been some bios fixes for some of the newer nvidia cards and asus mb.
m
l
December 11, 2012 11:46:10 PM

smorizio said:
with gpu-z make sure both video cards have the same bios and device id. also make sure there the same model and ram speed.
make sure your mb has the newest bios. there been some bios fixes for some of the newer nvidia cards and asus mb.

Both cards have very slightly different bios because 1 is a ASUS GTX 660 Ti DC2 and the other is a DC2O. Which I understand doesn't matter in sli because you can mix and math bios versions as well as different brands. Like you can use an Msi 660 ti and a Gigabyte 660 ti in sli and they will work fine.

I havent updated my motherboards bios thought since I build this rig. So I will go and try that soon.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2012 11:47:47 PM

So if your cards run fine seperately and NVCP detects both cards and running them in SLI mode then something else is wrong and not your cards! You mobo's BIOS has been updated?

There must be a mobo fault somewhere eith hardware or wrong BIOS settings
m
l
a c 200 U Graphics card
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
December 11, 2012 11:49:52 PM

steam you might hate me for this but call msi/email them talk to a level 3 tech or an eng. looking at the mb guild for your mb it shows that it crossfire cirt but there nothing showing in the guild that it passed or they paid for sli cirtifaction.
http://www.techpowerup.com/143260/NVIDIA-SLI-on-AMD-Chi...
that or the mb bios right now does not have the sli bit turned on.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2012 11:59:17 PM

smorizio said:
steam you might hate me for this but call msi/email them talk to a level 3 tech or an eng. looking at the mb guild for your mb it shows that it crossfire cirt but there nothing showing in the guild that it passed or they paid for sli cirtifaction.

It supports SLI. http://www.msi.com/product/mb/990FXA-GD80.html
m
l
December 12, 2012 12:00:54 AM

smorizio said:

Ill have to call tmr and get one of those guys on the line. But for now ill try to update the motherboard bios. At least it doesnt look like there are anything wrong with my cards thank god.
m
l
a c 200 U Graphics card
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
December 12, 2012 12:01:36 AM

i went to nvidia web page they have a list of msi mb that are ok for sli and not of the amd chipset ones are???
m
l
December 12, 2012 12:33:52 AM

Perhaps your CPU can't push the cards fast enough. I had this problem with my Q600 and my 8800GT. The CPU could only push one card. If I added 2, or even a 460ti, I got the exact same frame rate as before. You could test it by trying to over clock your CPU a little more than it is, if you can. You should see an increase.

Also, what resolution are you in? Sometimes SLI makes more of a difference in higher resolutions, and with FSAA and all that stuff turned to the max.
m
l
December 12, 2012 12:55:15 AM

beayn said:
Perhaps your CPU can't push the cards fast enough. I had this problem with my Q600 and my 8800GT. The CPU could only push one card. If I added 2, or even a 460ti, I got the exact same frame rate as before. You could test it by trying to over clock your CPU a little more than it is, if you can. You should see an increase.

Also, what resolution are you in? Sometimes SLI makes more of a difference in higher resolutions, and with FSAA and all that stuff turned to the max.

Im limited to what overclocking I can do :(  There is a limit on this board so you can only pump 4.5 volts into the cpu which results in my most stable clock being 4.2GHz.
m
l
December 12, 2012 12:56:47 AM

redeemer said:
So if your cards run fine seperately and NVCP detects both cards and running them in SLI mode then something else is wrong and not your cards! You mobo's BIOS has been updated?

There must be a mobo fault somewhere eith hardware or wrong BIOS settings

I updated to the latest motherboard bios and I reverted back to some older more stable graphics drivers. Gonna go test it out and ill let you guys know what happens.
m
l
December 12, 2012 1:17:29 AM

UPDATE

SLI doesnt work at all now, only using one card at a time works now.
m
l
!