Sign in with
Your question

New system configuration - Need help with config

Last response: in Systems
January 27, 2013 10:15:47 AM

Hello all,

as per subject I'm looking for expert's advice on my new home built configuration, as I did not do this in a very long time I would need some help to make sure I did not make any error and/or put non compatible stuff in my "basket", I've searched the forum and internet in general for some reviews on the components I've chose and the compatibly among them but as I've said I would like to have a proof "review".

Keep in mind I live in Switzerland so some components are not an option and I had to work with what I've found around at a semi decent (pretty much a joke in the most expensive city in the world) price, the main purposes for the pc will be gaming and proof of concepts labs, I work a lot with Virtualization and need to maintain heavy duty VMs up for tests and labs, for the purpose using a server would be better but that's not an option at the moment, so here we go with the config:

MB : Asus P9X79 DELUXE, X79
CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 (Preferred over the 3930 for price reasons as it does not seems to worth double the price performance wise)
Memory: Corsair Dominator, 4x 8GB, DDR3-1600, CL10@1.5V SKU:CMP32GX3M4X1600C10
OR Corsair Vengeance, 4x8GB, DDR3-1600, CL10@1.5V SKU:CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 (Not sure which of the two)
Video: Asus GTX-670 DirectCU
Sound : Creative Sound Blaster Z
Case: Cooler Master HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Big-Tower
Power Supply: Club 3D CSP-X1000CB, 1000 Watt, 80 Plus Bronze
SSD: Sandisk Extreme SSD 240GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black, 7200rpm, 64MB, 2TB, SATA-3

As I've written I'm not really sure which of the two memories I should go for, my ideal system should have 64GB but if I understood correctly buying 2 kits even of the same memory would be mixing them and I've read some horror stories about stability which I'm not sure if have been solved or not, matter of fact no 64GB kit exists so far so any experience or advice would be highly appreciated!

Do you think the above config can work? Do you see any room for improvement? As I've said keep in mind I've tried to balance price and performances so I know there is better stuff around but this should just suit my needs for the time being (I change PC every few years).

Thanks in advance Obs.
January 27, 2013 10:27:32 AM

Do you see any room for improvement?
Yes, LGA 2011 only has advantage with 6 core 3930k
going with 3820 = i7 performance without OC ability and pay 1,5x the price

3570K and quality z77 board is the sweetspot
January 27, 2013 10:50:42 AM

Thanks a lot, so if I understand correctly pretty pointless to go for the cheaper 3820 but it would make only sense with a 3930 (assuming I want to stay with i7), right?

Regarding the i5 MB an Asus Sabertooth Z77 would be a nice fit? I tend to go with Asus MB for ancestral reasons but if there is any room for improvement here as well more than happy to hear: )

Again thanks for your suggestion/view and quick reply.

Obs,
Related resources
January 27, 2013 11:02:15 AM

if you doing VM/professional work, go with 3930k + ASUS x79
wont be dissapointed, btw you GPU is overkill for non-gaming workstation

if your VM need 3 monitor, i suggest you to get low power Radeon card, 7770 is the best power wise and capable deliver 3 screen :) 
January 27, 2013 11:08:11 AM

Again thanks,

I think I will definitely go for the 3930 as yes I do need the extra steam and hopefully at some point a 64GB kit will be out (silly hope?).

I know the card is an overkill specially for my gaming needs (not really an hardcore player) but as I've said in terms of variety my supplier, biggest here in CH, is not the best... I will keep an eye for something lower profile which could also compensate for higher CPU cost.

Again I went for NVIDIA for "old habits" reasons as I work with CUDA clusters the whole day so it seemed like the logical choice but I guess I will try to see if there is any ATI cheaper card.

Thanks again AMD, really appreciate your help and time to answer!
January 27, 2013 11:12:32 AM

oh, if you work on CUDA optimized apps dont go with radeon
670 is fine but you really need to think about power consumption
January 27, 2013 11:34:51 AM

I think I've lost an edit for some reasons... Anyhow.

Yes I'm into CUDA stuff but at home that is not really an issue, I am into the HPC world but don't usually bring that kind of work at home ;-)

As per the edit I've lost I've found this one Asus GTX-660 DirectCU II which goes for half the price and should account for my limited gaming needs.

As you mentioned the power, do you think the 1000W PS I've choosen would not be enough the setup?

Thanks Obs.
January 27, 2013 3:16:37 PM

So glad I came here and asked :D 

I went the other PSU as costed a bit less but I will take your suggestion, as obviously I'm not the expert here ;) , thanks again for your suggestion.

I will now try to figure out the memory thing as I've read quite some different posts around the net, while I think it will not pose a problem in stability with Linux (my main OS anyhow) I want to be able to have a stable system under Windows when playing with some games...

Once again thanks a lot for all your suggestions which I will put to good use, for sure I will stick around as I miss all this talking about HW :) 

Obs.
!