Bottlenecking GTX 660?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
dont worry it will not bottleneck, im currently running a gtx 670 on a 4 years old first generation i7 920 and works great.
Looks like a great upgrade. That CPU is still very viable for gaming. You won't get as high of framerates as pairing that card with an LGA 1155 i5 or i7, but still very playable in all games on Ultra. Don't worry about bottlenecking your graphics card - it depends more on whether your CPU is strong enough for the game you're playing.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/541?vs=660

You'll get more than double the performance! This of course also depends on what resolution you're gaming. If it's 720p I would stay with the 550ti and buy a better monitor or HDTV but if not I say go for it. You might also consider an ATI 7870 (the ones clocked @ 1ghz) if you can get them cheaper its a better buy as it performs better than the gtx660 depending on the game and vice-versa but I keep hearing about the recent AMD drivers giving their cards a nice boost in performance.

QuinnTheOnly

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Thanks guys, that's exactly what I needed to know. I don't know why I didn't start using the forums a long time ago. Right now I'm using a 32" 1080p TV. My budget is where the 660 stands price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.