What's a decent GFX upgrade from a GTX 285?

nmford

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Hey guys,

I haven't had the time to keep up to date on all the latest stuff recently as my kid has been keeping me pretty busy!!

What's a decent, noticable upgrade from a GTX 285? I'm not looking to spend too much... so nothing crazy please!

nmford

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
I can go higher than that, but no higher than $400.

However, what I'd like to know is what are the best bangs for your buck within the $200 to $400 range... and which cards are good overclockers.

I'm also interested in what kind of performance increase I'll see over my aging card! If I don't have to spend a fortune to get noticable increases, I don't want to.

nmford

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012

How much better is gigabyte than zotac?

I may just buy a cooler later myself, my current GTX 285 has seen the stock cooler, watercooling, and an aftermarket fan cooler :bounce:

I doubt you have a better aftermarket cooler better than the gigabyte windforce 3x, watercooling that's another history, as for the performance it will overclock better and it's a better brand.

Also without rebate, that card is $359.99 vs $364.06 of the gigabyte.

madmcgee

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
I agree with dj. I got the same card he is recommending and I am using my GTX 285 as a PhysX card. I've only had it for a couple of days now but everything is working great