Quick question about Graphics card upgrade

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my GTX 275 to a GTX 660 and was wondering would my Phenom 9950 Quad Core clocked at the default 2.6GHz bottleneck that particular GPU at all?.

Thank you.
7 answers Last reply
More about quick question graphics card upgrade
  1. The 9950 is an original Phenom @2.6ghz. It should not bottleneck too badly but there will be a bottleneck unless you super stress the GPU. You should still see quite noticeable gains going to the 660 even if there is a bottleneck.
    I would consider either getting a new platform (FX6300, i5 3470) or grabbing a 965BE [$80] if your motherboard can support one.
    What resolution do you want to play at and what games?
  2. You should try to overclock it to be safe.
  3. I would apply a little overclocking, or move on to a new CPU platform.
  4. stickmansam said:
    The 9950 is an original Phenom @2.6ghz. It should not bottleneck too badly but there will be a bottleneck unless you super stress the GPU. You should still see quite noticeable gains going to the 660 even if there is a bottleneck.
    I would consider either getting a new platform (FX6300, i5 3470) or grabbing a 965BE [$80] if your motherboard can support one.
    What resolution do you want to play at and what games?

Usually 720p, sometimes 1080p.

All kinds of games really, but i do tend to be drawn mostly to RTS games.
  5. If you play mostly on 720p and not 1080p you might want to consider a 650ti instead (Unless there is a platform upgrade in the near future). The 650ti can handle 720p ultra or 1080p med/high. The 9950 might be an issue in some of the less threaded RTS games when there are a lot if units on screen.
  6. Ok, thanks for the input.
  7. The 7850 is also an option too. Its more powerful but also costs but its an too that won't be too unbalanced for your system. Anymore and I am afraid the system might be too unbalanced
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Graphics