Sign in with
Your question

Build advice for new PC - assembly order

Last response: in Systems
January 27, 2013 3:30:54 PM

Hi,

I am finalising an order for a new CAD/3d workstation tonight (Autodesk Revit, 3dsMax & Photoshop) - I've already posted a couple of times on various options, but have now settled on the hardware:

i7 3930k
ASUS P9X79 LGA2011
Noctua NH-D14 (160mm high)
16GB (RipjawZ 4x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz (picked this to fit with CPU cooler) - I may add a further 16GB to order.

Corsair Pro HX750 80 Gold PSU
Fractal Design R3 Black Pearl (CPU cooler height up to 165mm)

SanDisk SSD Extreme 240GB SATAIII
Western Digital Caviar 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6GB/s

ASUS GTX660 TI 2GB (went for NVIDIA to access GPU IRAY in 3dsMax) - this is a temp card, I plan to upgrade at some point, probably to a Quadro, but I'm waiting for Kepler to settle down with Max +Iray performance.

Windows 8 Pro 64bit.

One thing that I have had conflicting advice on, is the build order. Anyone have any advice, or can point me towards a good guide.

many thanks
January 27, 2013 3:38:24 PM

1) put the CPU in the motherboard, and mount the memory. Do this on the cardboard box the Motherboard came in

2) mount the heat sink. you need only a very thin layer of thermal paste (about 1/5 to 1/4 of the standard tube). If the cooler already comes prepackaged with thermal paste, don't add any more, just use that.

3) place the motherboard in the case, match up any pre-loaded fans to on-mobo fan slots

4) place the PSU in the case, attaching all power items needed.

5) place hard drives/dvd drive/card readers. add the SATA and power as you go. If you have a small case or a long GPU, be sure not to mount anything where it will interfere with airflow to the GPU.

6) place GPU, wire it up

7) add any additional fans to the case, wire as needed

8) power on to see if you POST

9) turn off the power, seal it up, and start loading your software.
Related resources
January 27, 2013 3:49:15 PM

whats ur full budget and do u need monitor+windows

January 27, 2013 8:40:05 PM

iceclock said:
whats ur full budget and do u need monitor+windows

I'm trying to bring it in at around £1600.

I already have a monitor - windows 8 is included in my build list (only have XP at present).
January 27, 2013 8:45:02 PM

AMD Radeon said:
this PSU is much better :) 
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cmpsu...

nothing wrong in your build :) 

Thanks, you've got me wondering. Is your recommendation for the 850W because I don't enough enough capacity in my proposed build ?

I've used a few of the online PSU calculators, and they suggest that 600-650W should be enough - I upped it to 750W to provide a bit of slack.

I'm aware that a bump up on the GPU(s) in future may need an upgrade for the PSU, so is the 850W a suggestion for future upgrades, or due to quality issue ?
January 27, 2013 8:46:24 PM

ScrewySqrl said:
1) put the CPU in the motherboard, and mount the memory. Do this on the cardboard box the Motherboard came in

2) mount the heat sink. you need only a very thin layer of thermal paste (about 1/5 to 1/4 of the standard tube). If the cooler already comes prepackaged with thermal paste, don't add any more, just use that.

3) place the motherboard in the case, match up any pre-loaded fans to on-mobo fan slots

4) place the PSU in the case, attaching all power items needed.

5) place hard drives/dvd drive/card readers. add the SATA and power as you go. If you have a small case or a long GPU, be sure not to mount anything where it will interfere with airflow to the GPU.

6) place GPU, wire it up

7) add any additional fans to the case, wire as needed

8) power on to see if you POST

9) turn off the power, seal it up, and start loading your software.

Thanks - Is there an issue with mounting all memory at first before Windows 8 installed ?

I've read of various issues of self-built systems where all/any of the memory is not recognised.
January 27, 2013 8:51:19 PM

ur pc looks good.

January 28, 2013 1:21:43 AM

wyvernwood said:
Thanks - Is there an issue with mounting all memory at first before Windows 8 installed ?

I've read of various issues of self-built systems where all/any of the memory is not recognised.

the reason to mount the memory first has to do with the large heatsink you're using. Its easier to put the memory in, then the heat sink since it may cover some of the ram
January 28, 2013 1:25:35 AM

wyvernwood said:
Thanks, you've got me wondering. Is your recommendation for the 850W because I don't enough enough capacity in my proposed build ?

I've used a few of the online PSU calculators, and they suggest that 600-650W should be enough - I upped it to 750W to provide a bit of slack.

I'm aware that a bump up on the GPU(s) in future may need an upgrade for the PSU, so is the 850W a suggestion for future upgrades, or due to quality issue ?

i put corsair AX850 because it is on sale, look at the price
it has the same gold certified with HX version, but it has PWM digital controlled output to ensure very low noise power output

cant really miss this psu
January 28, 2013 1:26:56 AM

Get a water cooler instead of a heatsink. Probably should get a OCz or Samsung SSD, and a Seagate Barrucda HDD.
!