New to PC gaming, please help.

duandeed

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
I just purchased a new laptop and was wondering if there is anything I needed to do to get the most out of my system in order to play games at the best settings possible? I have an Acer V3 771g-6851 with an i5-3210M, 8gb ram @ 1600mhz, and a nvidia GT640M w 2gb ddr3. Are there any settings I need to tweak or anything else I should do? I am a complete noob when it comes to this stuff and any help would be greatly appreciated.

m44matt

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Well for starters you shouldn't really have bought a laptop if you are interested in gaming. You can buy a very decent gaming rig for how much that laptop would have cost. Bust since you have it now, it isn't that bad. There really isnt anything you can do hardware wise to give it a boost because more ram wouldnt make a difference, but you could replace the HDD with an SSD to increase load times and boot time but they are expencive and you will lose a lot of storage space.

Since the laptop screen presumably has a smaller resolution you could probably run most games on medium settings. just turn stuff like anti aliasing, shadows, ambient occlusion etc down or off and it will still look decent but you will get better performance.

What games do you want to play?

duandeed

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
I really didn't want a desktop at the moment due to space issues, I just wanted a laptop that I could play some games at moderate settings. Mostly Batman:AC, Portal 2, and BF3 (if possible) at 1600x900. I knew going in that I wouldn't be playing the newest games at max settings. I am looking at getting a SSD soon since my laptop came with an empty drive bay.

m44matt

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Oh ok well if you need something portable you made the right choice because with a few of those graphics settings tweaks i suggested you will be able to play batman, portal and BF3( on moderate settings) just be careful when it comes to heat. gaming on a laptop heats it up quick so you might want to invest in a laptop stand fan thing haha

demon34140

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2012
i would not suggest playing bf3 on that laptop, it will overheat very quickly unless you play on lowest graphics possible. The gt mobile cards are not meant to be gamed on so i warn you now, dont do bf3, idk about arkam city since i dont have it but my 560ti on my desktop runs bf3 on high with some issues and its ddr5 2gb..