Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help me find the best gaming graphics card for I7 3770K

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 12, 2012 4:57:05 AM

Hello, I am looking for a single nvidia graphics card that can max out all settings in world of Warcraft mists of pandaria, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 and Counterstrike GO. I have 2 27 inch full HD LCD monitors 1920 x 1080. I am interested in mostly preset cards as I have no experience in manually over clocking. I am not looking to set new records with benchmarks, I just want to know what card will run mop and the other games at max settings. I do not have a preset budget.
Computer specs
CPU i7 3770k
Motherboard Asrock Z77 extreme6 LGA 1155
Memory 2 4GB sticks of corsair vengeance 1866
CPU cooler Antec 25 kuhler h2o 620
Hard drive Samsung SSD 840 series 120GB
Power supply corsair tx850w
Case Antec 1200

So far these are the two suggestions I have gotten.

http://m.newegg.com/Product?itemNumber=N82E16814130787
And
http://m.newegg.com/Product?itemNumber=N82E16814127685

Of these two cards what one is the better choice? Or is there a better graphics card that I would need? If so what should I get? I am looking to purchase this card within the next few days. Also if any of you know a website that has lower prices or know of any discount codes for newegg please let me know.

Thank You,
-Tom
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 5:11:13 AM

Are the above parts you've already purchased? If not I can suggest a much better build for almost the same amount of money. It will tear through any game you can imagine.

Here's the build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Crucial V4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($269.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($269.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($78.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1191.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-12 02:11 EST-0500)
a c 79 U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 5:16:33 AM

^What Stant1rm said.

You can get a lot better performance for less money - even if you have the money to spend, don't spend it if it's not going to make the computer way better. Y'know?

That being said, both of the cards you linked are good, but if you want the very very best, go with a 690 or 7990.
Related resources
December 12, 2012 5:41:09 AM

stant1rm said:
Are the above parts you've already purchased? If not I can suggest a much better build for almost the same amount of money. It will tear through any game you can imagine.

Here's the build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Crucial V4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($269.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($269.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($78.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1191.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-12 02:11 EST-0500)


Yes those are the parts I currently own just need help picking a graphics card.
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 8:18:05 AM

Phosphor25 said:
Hello, I am looking for a single nvidia graphics card that can max out all settings in world of Warcraft mists of pandaria, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 and Counterstrike GO. I have 2 27 inch full HD LCD monitors 1920 x 1080. I am interested in mostly preset cards as I have no experience in manually over clocking. I am not looking to set new records with benchmarks, I just want to know what card will run mop and the other games at max settings. I do not have a preset budget.
Computer specs
CPU i7 3770k
Motherboard Asrock Z77 extreme6 LGA 1155
Memory 2 4GB sticks of corsair vengeance 1866
CPU cooler Antec 25 kuhler h2o 620
Hard drive Samsung SSD 840 series 120GB
Power supply corsair tx850w
Case Antec 1200

So far these are the two suggestions I have gotten.

http://m.newegg.com/Product?itemNumber=N82E16814130787
And
http://m.newegg.com/Product?itemNumber=N82E16814127685

Of these two cards what one is the better choice? Or is there a better graphics card that I would need? If so what should I get? I am looking to purchase this card within the next few days. Also if any of you know a website that has lower prices or know of any discount codes for newegg please let me know.

Thank You,
-Tom

Both are great cards i have the MSI N670 PE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnLUJxCBZUg it's a beast!The 670 FTW should do the same. Flip a coin and pick. ;)  If you want the very best NV card it's GTX 690
December 12, 2012 1:54:57 PM

I'm not looking for the very best card, I just want what is required to play the games I posted at max settings and I believe the 690 would be overkill for that.
a c 289 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 12, 2012 2:17:41 PM

GTX 660 would easily max out said games. So GTX 670 would do it as well.
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 2:29:55 PM

GTX 670 FTW will max out most games, except for the newest games, like Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3. For those games, you are going to need to SLI 660 Ti's or get a GTX 680.
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 2:31:52 PM

Both those cards can do that there no up to date benchmarks from a reliable source here is old out dated benchmarks for two those games that's about the best i can show you anyway good luck!

December 12, 2012 2:43:22 PM

If it were me I would buy the EVGA 670FTW. It is not the minimum you could get away with, but will give you some headroom.
a c 289 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 12, 2012 2:48:41 PM

P. S. Don't look at world of warcraft benchmark. They tested it in starting areas with no people around. Realistically, you'd get 50 fps at most in cities/25-man raids, due to CPU bottlenecking (WoW is a very CPU intensive game). Hell, it managed to full load my 2 cores of i5-2500k @4.3 GHZ on Sha of Anger (40 man encounter), while I was merely getting 30 fps.
December 12, 2012 2:52:44 PM

Phosphor25 said:
I'm not looking for the very best card, I just want what is required to play the games I posted at max settings and I believe the 690 would be overkill for that.



Between those two I'd get the evga. I believe MSI got caught overvolting that card which obviously led to problems for people. Plus evga's customer service is awesome.
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 4:29:40 PM

asylumdance said:
Between those two I'd get the evga. I believe MSI got caught overvolting that card which obviously led to problems for people. Plus evga's customer service is awesome.
They never were caught doing anything just that is what the name of the article was however MSI response was clear. 1. MSI respects the result which is tested by Tom’s Hardware, but we have much confidence and believe our products would not cause any customer RMA concerns.
2. Since MSI designs these custom products with overclocking in mind, we “supercharge” these cards because we’re anticipating enthusiast to overclock. Because of this design decision and the higher component quality, we’re able to provide more power to the board resulting in higher and longer GPU Boost operation without reducing the lifetime of the graphics card or warranty term.
3. MSI’s all graphics cards including GTX 670 and GTX 660 Ti passed strict test and stand behind our products with a 3 year warranty. the response from them was clear
Re: MSI caught: more boost by purposely built-in circuit fault
« Reply #22 on: 01-October-12, 21:12:41 »
The overvoltage this is all about does not concern the gpu so won't make a real difference for consumption. Also the starting up issue has never been reported on this forum although we are addressing a global audience while the few reports are from the german Tom's Hardware site only (and some competing manufacturers).So quite odd that problem did not show up here first where more customers of those very popular cards are around. Then if you look at professional reviews all award the card and recommend it. http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
http://rbmods.com/msi-geforce-gtx-670-power-edition/
http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-geforce-gtx-670-power...
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4779/msi_geforce_gtx_6...
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/MSI-GTX-670...
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/%5Bprimary-term%5D/msi...
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/GeForce-GTX-680-RoundUp-...
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/...



December 12, 2012 6:13:03 PM

+1 MSI's GTX 670 Power Edition gets my vote best card i ever owned.Despite what the haters claim it's also comes with three year warranty.The card is manufactured using the Military Class III components that MSI has made somewhat famous. These are higher quality hi-c caps, poly caps, and chokes. The choice of components should insure that they last longer, and have slightly higher capabilities which should help improve any overclocking ability. The combination of higher specification components combined with a slightly more robust power delivery system–topped off with an above average cooling solution make this a highly overclockable board.The card itself is overclocked right out of the box already. A standard GTX 670 has a base clock of 915 MHz and a boost clock up to 980 MHz. In the vast majority of applications, the clock would stay pretty steady at 980 MHz. By adjusting the power range of the card so it can pull more watts, these cards could easily hit GTX 680+ speeds.
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 6:16:37 PM

EVGA has the best tech support I've every experienced and the quality is fantastic.
December 13, 2012 1:02:45 AM

So I was looking at the 680's and for $60 more I found http://m.newegg.com/Product?itemNumber=N82E16814130797 it has a core clock speed of 1097mhz and a boost clock of 1163mhz along with 1536 Cuda cores compared to the 670 that has 1006mhz clock speed 1084mhz boost clock and 1344 Cuda cores. For the price difference should I get the 680? Also does anyone know how stable the card is? I want a card that will last.

For reference this is the 670
http://m.newegg.com/Product?itemNumber=N82E16814130787
And this is the 680
http://m.newegg.com/Product?itemNumber=N82E16814130797

I would like to purchase a graphics card within a few days and would appreciate all the help I can get.
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 13, 2012 1:51:42 AM

Well the EVGA 670 FTW!Is pretty good.It's not anymore reliable then a Asus or MSI card elect.A lot of members that say its loud and runs hot.I would agree its kinda loud it's acceptable imo and i would say runs hotter then other options still nothing to cause concern.Evga has the fantastic customer support so if you were not happy with it.I doubt you have too much trouble returning it.
December 13, 2012 3:02:14 AM

bigcyco1 said:
Well the EVGA 670 FTW!Is pretty good.It's not anymore reliable then a Asus or MSI card elect.A lot of members that say its loud and runs hot.I would agree its kinda loud it's acceptable imo and i would say runs hotter then other options still nothing to cause concern.Evga has the fantastic customer support so if you were not happy with it.I doubt you have too much trouble returning it.


The Evga 670 or the 680 runs hot and is loud?
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 13, 2012 3:36:20 AM

Phosphor25 said:
The Evga 670 or the 680 runs hot and is loud?
Not really that's just what some members on the forum claim my cousin has the FTW!It's a little more loud then other options i am not sure about the 680 i doubt it runs hot EVGA used dual fan with that one so kudos to EVGA for that.
December 13, 2012 5:16:21 AM

If I was interested in getting far cry 3 and the new crysis games would it be worth it to get a 680 or is the difference in performance not noticeable?
December 13, 2012 5:22:47 AM

I think the 7770 would suit your needs just fine!
but the 690 would keep you up to date for maybe the next 2 years ;) 

When it comes to it, it's all up to you!
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 13, 2012 5:24:52 AM

I honestly do not know but it's 7 to 10% performance gain so you decide.
December 13, 2012 9:35:45 AM

So should I get a 680 or a 670?
December 13, 2012 12:38:14 PM

Get 670, even that is already overkill for the games you play. 7870 can max the games that you play. So yes. 670 is more than enough.
December 13, 2012 2:34:40 PM

arnoldlouie said:
Get 670, even that is already overkill for the games you play. 7870 can max the games that you play. So yes. 670 is more than enough.


Can a 670 max out far cry 3 and crysis games?
a c 289 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 13, 2012 2:51:52 PM

Far Cry 3 - definitely at around 40 fps with MSAA. Crysis 1 and 2 - without any problems whatsoever, should land you near 60 fps.
December 13, 2012 3:03:45 PM

Sunius said:
Far Cry 3 - definitely at around 40 fps with MSAA. Crysis 1 and 2 - without any problems whatsoever, should land you near 60 fps.


And with the version of the 680 I was looking at how would my fps be?
a c 289 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 13, 2012 3:16:13 PM

Around 10% more. Look at the benchmark (note: it wasn't done at maximum settings):

December 13, 2012 6:15:46 PM

Sunius said:
Around 10% more. Look at the benchmark (note: it wasn't done at maximum settings):

http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=1537


Will I see or notice the difference that the 680 gives over the 670? What fps would I need to max out far cry 3? Or I should say at what point is fps just a number and not something I will benefit from.
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 13, 2012 6:19:43 PM

Honestly if you want the most fps get the 680 if you can afford it why not.I would say after 60fps it's just a number.
December 13, 2012 9:48:49 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Honestly if you want the most fps get the 680 if you can afford it why not.I would say after 60fps it's just a number.


And to reach 60 fps in far cry 3 with all settings on max would I need a 680 to do that or could a 670 do it?
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 13, 2012 10:04:47 PM

You will get 40-60 fps with a 670 not sure what you get with a 680 it would be a little more though i assume.
December 14, 2012 12:54:08 AM

Anyone know what the difference in fps from a 680 and a 670 would be?
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 12:58:06 AM

I was watching some youtube videos looks like 10 fps difference only.I am not convinced by youtube videos though lol.So doing more research.
December 14, 2012 2:05:35 AM

bigcyco1 said:
I was watching some youtube videos looks like 10 fps difference only.I am not convinced by youtube videos though lol.So doing more research.


Thank you for looking into this for me if you find any information please let me know.
a c 289 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 14, 2012 8:05:25 AM

Tom's hardware just posted benchmarks of Far Cry 3 at maximum settings:



Note, there's no GTX 680 in the test, but it should have 40-42 fps.
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 8:36:43 AM

Just came back from my friends a single GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP in Far Cry 3 at maximum settings: average 48 fps i took screen shots then forgot them in his car.Dam i am retarded lol sorry.
a c 289 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 14, 2012 3:01:46 PM

Well, overclocked GTX 670 is as powerful as stock GTX 680. I meant 40-42 at stock GTX 680. When overclocked, it should be around 45-48, as bigcyco1 said.
December 14, 2012 3:37:19 PM

o.k. that makes sense thank you.
December 14, 2012 4:58:34 PM

Sunius said:
Well, overclocked GTX 670 is as powerful as stock GTX 680. I meant 40-42 at stock GTX 680. When overclocked, it should be around 45-48, as bigcyco1 said.


This was the gtx680 I was thinking about getting http://m.newegg.com/Product?itemNumber=N82E16814130797 out of the box would it be at about 48 fps or is there a better 680 I should get?
a c 289 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 14, 2012 5:06:00 PM

Yes it should be around that. It's an overclocked out of the box card.
December 14, 2012 5:12:25 PM

Sunius said:
Yes it should be around that. It's an overclocked out of the box card.


For a 680 do you think I should get that one or would you recommend a different 680?
a c 289 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 14, 2012 5:15:36 PM

Either that, or the MSI Lightning one.
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 5:31:11 PM

I would say the Lightning >> http://www.overclock.net/t/1280007/official-msi-gtx-680...
People are hitting 1300+ easily (one hit 1400 on AIR) only problem you need to flash the card with org.bios to unlock voltage.All MSI GTX 680 Lightning graphics cards have two BIOSs. One BIOS is a normal, non-OC version. The other BIOS is an "unlocked" "LN2 mode" version meant for OC. In order to have voltage control on your 680 Lightning, you need to make sure you are using the unlocked BIOS. To toggle between these two BIOSs, simply move the switch on the side of the card. To make sure you are in "LN2 mode" and using the "unlocked" BIOS, you need to look at the version number of the BIOS. You can view this information two ways:
1.) Open GPU-Z and look where it says "BIOS Version"
2.) Click the "i" Info icon on the main AB screen and it'll tell you the BIOS version you have

However if you do not know what your doing its not worth the risk.So the EVGA might be better for you.
December 14, 2012 7:40:37 PM

bigcyco1 said:
I would say the Lightning >> http://www.overclock.net/t/1280007/official-msi-gtx-680...
People are hitting 1300+ easily (one hit 1400 on AIR) only problem you need to flash the card with org.bios to unlock voltage.All MSI GTX 680 Lightning graphics cards have two BIOSs. One BIOS is a normal, non-OC version. The other BIOS is an "unlocked" "LN2 mode" version meant for OC. In order to have voltage control on your 680 Lightning, you need to make sure you are using the unlocked BIOS. To toggle between these two BIOSs, simply move the switch on the side of the card. To make sure you are in "LN2 mode" and using the "unlocked" BIOS, you need to look at the version number of the BIOS. You can view this information two ways:
1.) Open GPU-Z and look where it says "BIOS Version"
2.) Click the "i" Info icon on the main AB screen and it'll tell you the BIOS version you have

However if you do not know what your doing its not worth the risk.So the EVGA might be better for you.


If I do not plan to overclock the card more than the speeds it comes at, out of the two, the evga and the lightning what card would be more reliable all around in terms of long sessions and lasting longer? Would that be the evga?
!