How to Configure Two Independent Networks both accessing internet and sharing fi

pickleman

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I am using two routers (one wired-in the basement for a desktop, another wireless-on the top floor for laptops). Internet works fine on both; however, I want to setup two separate independent networks-both accessing the internet and sharing files. Any help is appreciated.

Here are the current details: The wired router is an old Linksys (BEFSR41) and the wireless router is a Netgear Router (WNR3500L). The incoming modem cable to the house is connected to the BEFSR41 WAN/Internet port. One of the Netgear's LAN ports is connected to one of the Linksys's LAN Ports.

The Linksys's IP address=192.168.1.1 and that of the Netgear=192.168.1.2. Address ranges for the Linksys are: 192.168.1.100 (...to 150) and the address of devices on the Netgear are in the range 192.168.1.xxx.

I am aware that the address of the Netgear should be changed to something like 192.168.2.1 and its address range should be given as 192.168.2.x (to a limit). But after that I am stumped.

What modifications to the configuration need to be done to get separate networks, accessing the internet and sharing files? I searched extensively on the web and I am still confused.

I am not a network guru so any detailed step is appreciated.

Thanks,

RealBeast

Titan
If you have two separate networks and only one Internet access, you will need to bridge the two networks.

I don't know that your routers will support that feature. One simple way is to made two connections to a Windows 7 machine that has access to both LANs and then bridge them using Windows 7 bridge feature as shown HERE.

pickleman

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Realbeast, thanks for the prompt reply. I checked out the Windows 7 bridge feature that you referred to and it seems straightforward. But could you please clarify what you mean by making "two connections to a Windows 7 machine" having access to both LANs and what modification I would need to do to achieve this? Thanks.

RealBeast

Titan
You could do it a number of ways -- you just need to have two (or more) access devices, say an Ethernet port connecting to a wired network plus a wireless card connecting to a wireless network, two wireless cards connecting to two different wireless networks, or two Ethernet ports connecting to two different wired networks. You can bridge any two of the networks, allowing one without an Internet connection to use the connection on the other network.

pickleman

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Hi RealBeast, Thanks for the responses. However, since the intent was to use the wired router for my desktop in the basement and locate the wireless router in a location in the house where the signal is strongest, I resolved the problem by taking the easy way out. I decided to make things less complicated. I moved the wireless router to the top floor and ran an additional network cable directly from the basement to the top floor. The modem cable now runs to the WAN port of the wireless router and the desktop that is in the basement and my PS3 are connected to hardwire ports. Now I can use the wireless modem for laptops and my iPhone. Thanks again to all.