scorp_36

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Hi good day....

Ive got a gigabyte h77m d3h , i5 , and a msi gtx 660 ti pe card , 8gb of corsair vengance ram.....

Could someone please assist me in the correct overclocking settings and the dangerous of it and i need some nvidia contral panel settings
to fine tune my games im having some issues with certain games like far cry 3 anyone please help.......

jarlsuki

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
I could just post my own overclock settings on my MSI GTX660Ti GPU and i5 3570k CPU, but the best thing is to just increase it little by little while paying alot of attention to the temperatures using RealTemp and CPU-Z.
When you end up with system problems like games crashing, temps going to high, problems booting etc then you just dial it down again.
When overclocking your CPU i recommend doing so in your Bios, not a program.
When overclocking your GPU i recommend using MSI Afterburner.

Do you need point-for-point guide on overclocking?
If no, then i hope this helps : )

You have a H77 board, so CPU overclocking is out unless you want to do it the old fashioned way through the FSB, which is pretty complicated and doesn't really lead to much difference.

The graphics card you can overclock though, and you'v picked a fairly good card for it. Heres a tutorial on graphics card overclocking, the hardware used is old, but its still the same basic method.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA_l5-HDel4
Given the 128bit bus on the card, I would focus somewhat on the memory clock more than the core clock.

Advantages to overclocking.
- Free performance boost.

Dis-advantages to overclocking.
- Increased power consumption and heat output.
- Depending on the manufacturer and their warranty, might void your warranty. Think you'l be fine with MSI.
- If you do something stupid (like max out the voltage), you can kill the component.

scorp_36

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012

if you could give me a point for point guide itll be helpfull man... ive been out of computer gaming for awhile..... and how do i set up the nvidia contral panel for nice results is each games settings different>

jarlsuki

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

MSI GTX660Ti PE is 192 bit, i increased both my memory and core clock without any issues.

Scorp_36, are you just overclocking your GPU then?
I can run you through it when i get home from work, but it's not something im able to do right of this moment.

jarlsuki

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
I haven't really done anything in my nvidia control panel, im just tuning my monitor instead to find settings that i like.
Without any real experience with it im don't think im of much help.
What do you want to change? Colors, resolution, brightness, that sort of thing?

You might be able to overclock through the Nvidia Control Panel (not sure, AMD user here), but you would be better off using a dedicated overclocking utility. MSI Afterburner is what I use, I find its just the easiest, but any other utility like Sapphire Trixx, EVGA Precision or whatever ASUS or Gigabyte have would do fine.