Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Building a $1000 Gaming Rig: Windows 8 Help

Last response: in Systems
January 27, 2013 6:42:05 PM

Hi, I am going to be building the PC below in a few months and I have some Windows 8 questions.

1. What is the difference between Windows 8 Full, Windows 8 OEM, and Windows 8 Pro? (Do you need Windows 8 Pro to maximize your RAM usage?)
2. I heard that if you are building a PC you have to have Windows 8 OEM. Is that true?
3. How do I find out if the system below is 32 bit or 64 bit?
4. Does Windows 8 have it's limitations? (Will any programs that work for Windows 7, not work for Windows 8?)
5. Should I go with Windows 7 instead of Windows 8?
6. Any comments / feedback?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($193.79 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($73.74 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($172.08 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Kingwin 550W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Full (64-bit) ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1049.53

Thanks in advance for your help.
January 27, 2013 8:49:55 PM

Windows 8 home premium oem will be plenty enough. Also, if you are overclocking then the 8320 will overclock just as far as the 8350. I also switched the PSU for something cheaper, more watts, and made by seasonic (its onsale, great deal!)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($159.15 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($73.74 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 620W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $957.78
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-27 17:49 EST-0500)

Also fit a 7870 :D 
m
l

Best solution

January 27, 2013 9:20:39 PM

First off your very confused about Windows 8, lol. You have Windows 8 RT (This is only for ARM devices your config can not use it), Windows 8, and Windows 8 Pro. Those are the ONLY 3 editions of Windows 8. Now you have 2 variations of each, OEM and Retail. Basically OEM is the same version that Dell and HP give you, they are supportless from Microsoft, Retail on the other hand is supported by Microsoft. And you have 2 different install paths you can take with each of those, Upgrade and Full. The Upgrade version REQUIRES that you have a previous version of Windows installed FIRST, the full version requires absolutely nothing.

So in summery if you want the BEST availably you want a Full Retail Windows 8 Pro. If you want to save money, get the Upgrade OEM Windows 8.

Now your processor is x64 compatible. You find out by simply going to AMD's website and looking up your processor. But this is also irrelevant because when you purchase Windows 8 it comes with both x86 and x64 disc.

Windows 8, by default is not really Windows 8. It is actually Windows 6.2! Vista is 6.0, Windows 7 is 6.1, and Windows 8 is 6.2. It uses the SAME core files as Vista did 6 years ago. So the point Im getting to is, anything that will run on 6.0 (vista) WILL run on 6.2, all you have to do is change the compatibility settings. (if you don't know how just ask) But there very well could be some Windows XP or earlier programs that will not work, but 99% of them do work flawlessly.

Windows 8 is a much better OS than Windows 7. As I said it is a upgrade to Windows 7. Most people actually get better FPS in video games in Windows 8. Also, it is more secure, and has SEVERAL optimizations that cause the overall experience to be much better.

My only other comment, get your stuff from TigerDirect or Newegg. They are much MUCH better places to get stuff than Amazon or BestBuy, they actually specialize in this stuff and offer a better selection. Another thing, if you want to save money, get a quad core, not a 8 core. MOST games (99%) do not use more than 2 cores, so anything beyond 3 (2 for the game and 1 for background and system purposes) is pointless. SO you could save a little money there and put it into a video card.

If you would like me to put together a build for you, just ask and I will.

Check out these video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4PDoy-mi0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK4ip08auGg
Related resources
January 27, 2013 10:33:30 PM

Best answer selected by steelteal.
m
l
January 27, 2013 10:55:36 PM

JefferyD90 said:
First off your very confused about Windows 8, lol. You have Windows 8 RT (This is only for ARM devices your config can not use it), Windows 8, and Windows 8 Pro. Those are the ONLY 3 editions of Windows 8. Now you have 2 variations of each, OEM and Retail. Basically OEM is the same version that Dell and HP give you, they are supportless from Microsoft, Retail on the other hand is supported by Microsoft. And you have 2 different install paths you can take with each of those, Upgrade and Full. The Upgrade version REQUIRES that you have a previous version of Windows installed FIRST, the full version requires absolutely nothing.

So in summery if you want the BEST availably you want a Full Retail Windows 8 Pro. If you want to save money, get the Upgrade OEM Windows 8.

Now your processor is x64 compatible. You find out by simply going to AMD's website and looking up your processor. But this is also irrelevant because when you purchase Windows 8 it comes with both x86 and x64 disc.

Windows 8, by default is not really Windows 8. It is actually Windows 6.2! Vista is 6.0, Windows 7 is 6.1, and Windows 8 is 6.2. It uses the SAME core files as Vista did 6 years ago. So the point Im getting to is, anything that will run on 6.0 (vista) WILL run on 6.2, all you have to do is change the compatibility settings. (if you don't know how just ask) But there very well could be some Windows XP or earlier programs that will not work, but 99% of them do work flawlessly.

Windows 8 is a much better OS than Windows 7. As I said it is a upgrade to Windows 7. Most people actually get better FPS in video games in Windows 8. Also, it is more secure, and has SEVERAL optimizations that cause the overall experience to be much better.

My only other comment, get your stuff from TigerDirect or Newegg. They are much MUCH better places to get stuff than Amazon or BestBuy, they actually specialize in this stuff and offer a better selection. Another thing, if you want to save money, get a quad core, not a 8 core. MOST games (99%) do not use more than 2 cores, so anything beyond 3 (2 for the game and 1 for background and system purposes) is pointless. SO you could save a little money there and put it into a video card.

If you would like me to put together a build for you, just ask and I will.

Check out these video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4PDoy-mi0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK4ip08auGg

This is by far the best reply I have seen on these forums. Thank you for clarifying the Windows 8 versions for me. Now I know I should go with Windows 8 Pro.

You did a nice job explaining the Windows system versions.

At first I was skeptical about Windows 8 because of the bad rep it had. But, after some research and reading your reply it seems like Windows 8 is a big improvement. I guess people just didn't like the new interface, even though you can change it to look the same as Windows 7.

I am planning on getting all my parts from Newegg.com. I like their website a lot.

What you said about the cores almost made me change my mind about getting an 8 core processor since the only game I play on the PC is Minecraft. But, I do a lot of video editing / rendering and I heard more cores is good for that.

Those videos were very helpful as well.

Thanks for offering to put together a build, but I think this one will be fine for what I will be doing, unless you see anything that you could improve.

Thank you so much for your help. This helped me a lot.
m
l
January 27, 2013 11:05:43 PM

If you are video editing the 8 core AMDs are PERFECT FOR YOU! That is actually what they were built for. They process (almost literally) twice the data of a comparable i7, its only their single core performance that "suffers" (I used the quotes because what single core program really requires a great processor...)

Also, Im not sure if you need a Windows 8 Pro over Windows 8. The only reason I have PRO is because it was only $40. As you can see on the following link, the only differences is Bitlocker, Remote Desktop, and Domain Join.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/compare

My humble opinion just get the Pro for $40 right NOW! You only have a few days left.

Also, don't listen to the narrow minded people that think Windows 8 is horrible and stuff. They simply can not adapt to change. There is NOTHING that I don't love about Windows 8. Every admin tool is right at your fingertips (no more start>all programs>folder this>folder that... All you do now is mouse down in bottom left corner and right click, and its all there) So I would suggest DO NOT alter Windows 8 at all, just use it as is. If you need help send me a message Ill help you navigate around better and give you some tips and tricks.
m
l
January 27, 2013 11:08:37 PM

By the way, I have sit through all of Microsoft's webinars and stuff... I am officially licensed to sell Windows 8, as well as train other people on it... So, for real don't hesitate to ask.
m
l
January 27, 2013 11:14:10 PM

JefferyD90 said:
If you are video editing the 8 core AMDs are PERFECT FOR YOU! That is actually what they were built for. They process (almost literally) twice the data of a comparable i7, its only their single core performance that "suffers" (I used the quotes because what single core program really requires a great processor...)

Also, Im not sure if you need a Windows 8 Pro over Windows 8. The only reason I have PRO is because it was only $40. As you can see on the following link, the only differences is Bitlocker, Remote Desktop, and Domain Join.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/compare

My humble opinion just get the Pro for $40 right NOW! You only have a few days left.

Also, don't listen to the narrow minded people that think Windows 8 is horrible and stuff. They simply can not adapt to change. There is NOTHING that I don't love about Windows 8. Every admin tool is right at your fingertips (no more start>all programs>folder this>folder that... All you do now is mouse down in bottom left corner and right click, and its all there) So I would suggest DO NOT alter Windows 8 at all, just use it as is. If you need help send me a message Ill help you navigate around better and give you some tips and tricks.

I want Windows 8 Pro for Remote Desktop. Also, I thought I needed Windows 8 Pro to utilize all my RAM? Or, is that just Windows 7 that does that?

And is Windows 8 Pro $40 right now or is the upgrade?
m
l
January 28, 2013 12:38:08 AM

It is $40 for the upgrade edition. There are nice ways around it (send private message for a easy way) And the ONLY time that RAM has been a issue was Windows XP. And it was more of the x86 vs x64 thing, not Home vs Pro thing.
m
l
!