Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$1500.00 build *questions*

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 27, 2013 6:58:33 PM

Hello,
I have a 1500.00 budget for a new pc. I've been out of the "scene" for about ten years and the I saw this build that caught my eye. This would be mainly for gaming on my living room TV.

1. Is the combo mobo and proces be good for OC? If not, what other mobo would be better?

2. What GeForce card be good/better then the radeon combo? Like to have a GeForce card/cards...

3. Should I wait to buy this? Since intel is coming out with new stuff in a few months?

Lastly
Thank you for your time.



I5-3570k
Phanteks PH-TC14CS
ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Samsung 4GB x2
Crucial M4 128GB
Seagate Barracuda 1tb
MSI Radeon HD 7950 x2
Cooler Master HAF XB
Corsair Enthusiast 750W
Lite-On iHAS124-04

More about : 1500 build questions

January 27, 2013 8:03:07 PM

For question 3) there is no point in waiting there will be not much increase in anything from ivy bridge and the price will be a lot higher
Related resources
January 27, 2013 8:20:20 PM

EasyTransfer said:
For question 3) there is no point in waiting there will be not much increase in anything from ivy bridge and the price will be a lot higher


Do you believe with the new stuff coming out that the i5 3570 would drop in price? The main reason why I ask is cause if I wait I could fund this new pc with a bit more money *bday in may*
January 27, 2013 8:31:26 PM

You should consider a larger PS for more headroom.
January 27, 2013 8:32:50 PM

Honestly, if you are gonna pay $1500

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.26 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($107.95 @ Mac Connection)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($368.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($368.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1432.11
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-27 17:32 EST-0500)

Thats what I would get $1500...
January 27, 2013 8:44:35 PM

giltyler said:
You should consider a larger PS for more headroom.

Headroom? Upgrades down the road?
January 27, 2013 8:47:42 PM

blake1243 said:
Honestly, if you are gonna pay $1500

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.26 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($107.95 @ Mac Connection)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($368.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($368.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1432.11
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-27 17:32 EST-0500)

Thats what I would get $1500...


Why z77extreme4 and not the 6?
January 27, 2013 8:51:06 PM

If you feel the need to then yeah the 6 would be even better. But the extreme4 does the job just fine..
Anonymous
January 27, 2013 8:55:49 PM

My rule has always been go with the best biggest display you can afford then GPU, then CPU on down. If you wait a couple more months the next GPU series from both AMD and Nvidia will be out and be about 20-30% better than current models. But overall good build, I would change out the 128Gb SSD for a 256 one spend a little more on that would be worth it IMO.
January 27, 2013 8:55:51 PM

blake1243 said:
If you feel the need to then yeah the 6 would be even better. But the extreme4 does the job just fine..

Got ya. Thank you for that build and your time.
January 27, 2013 9:09:17 PM

blake1243 suggested and excellent build, but I would suggest you drop that penny pinching cheap Asrock board for a UD3H or at least something that you can trust with all that highend hardware.
January 27, 2013 9:29:38 PM

If you are willing to spend another $100

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($80.77 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($53.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($107.95 @ Mac Connection)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($376.48 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($376.48 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($25.97 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1576.58
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-27 18:29 EST-0500)
January 27, 2013 9:46:08 PM

redeemer said:
blake1243 suggested and excellent build, but I would suggest you drop that penny pinching cheap Asrock board for a UD3H or at least something that you can trust with all that highend hardware.


Thank you for your input. I thought asrock was a good brand. I diff will look at that UD3H board.
January 27, 2013 9:48:28 PM

Anonymous said:
My rule has always been go with the best biggest display you can afford then GPU, then CPU on down. If you wait a couple more months the next GPU series from both AMD and Nvidia will be out and be about 20-30% better than current models. But overall good build, I would change out the 128Gb SSD for a 256 one spend a little more on that would be worth it IMO.


Thank you for your input. I forgot that there was new gpu coming out in a few months. Would that make the older models go down in price?
January 27, 2013 10:22:20 PM

Price drops are slow even when new things come out and when new arrives it will be the flagship and the rest will come later. 7870 7950 670 all will be good now and can be Crossfire os SLI should you need a boost later. One place NOT to save money is the power supply. Look for a Gold rated 850
January 27, 2013 10:32:06 PM

giltyler said:
Price drops are slow even when new things come out and when new arrives it will be the flagship and the rest will come later. 7870 7950 670 all will be good now and can be Crossfire os SLI should you need a boost later. One place NOT to save money is the power supply. Look for a Gold rated 850

Got ya. I havent been in the market for a gpu in a long time...would the 850ps be enough power for a 3way sli?
January 28, 2013 11:51:41 PM

Ok, so I mixed in all the input and it looks a little like this... Am I missing anything?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/AaLL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/AaLL/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/AaLL/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($80.77 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($151.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.26 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($192.16 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card ($559.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB (Black) ATX Desktop Case ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($144.49 @ Amazon)
Total: $1555.63
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-28 20:49 EST-0500)

Remember gaming, on 55hd tv in the living room...
January 29, 2013 12:37:58 AM

Quote:
If you don't plan on getting a 2nd 680 in the near future I'd suggest getting 2 660s instead. Slightly cheaper and better performance.


I prob will later down the road, prob Xmas-ish time....
Do you have a link? If not ill throw into to google..
Thank you for your input.
January 29, 2013 12:59:13 AM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Aco4
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Aco4/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Aco4/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($179.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($244.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($244.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB (Black) ATX Desktop Case ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($122.75 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($55.98 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1391.63
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-28 21:58 EST-0500)

would do the trick

total price:1492$

January 29, 2013 1:04:17 AM

don't even bother with 3-way SLI/CFX in a z77 build.

2-way should be max as you would need watercooling for 3-way
January 29, 2013 1:05:00 AM

2 660tis can max out pretty much anything tbh at 1080p

January 29, 2013 1:13:04 AM

iceclock said:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Aco4
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Aco4/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Aco4/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($179.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($244.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($244.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB (Black) ATX Desktop Case ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($122.75 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($55.98 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1391.63
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-28 21:58 EST-0500)

would do the trick

total price:1492$


Thanks, will look into these parts...
January 29, 2013 1:14:02 AM

shur no problem, anytime bud :) 

January 29, 2013 1:15:30 AM

boulbox said:
don't even bother with 3-way SLI/CFX in a z77 build.

2-way should be max as you would need watercooling for 3-way


Thank you for your input. I never had a watercooling build nor do I want to start. Thank you for your input.
January 29, 2013 1:16:29 AM

water coolers cost more, also u can get just as good temps with decent aircoolers.

less messy also if ever theres a liquid leak :p 

January 29, 2013 1:22:58 AM

iceclock said:
2 660tis can max out pretty much anything tbh at 1080p


Here's my train of thought, if I go 680 4gb, I could get away without upgrading or adding another 680 4gb (2way sli) for a long time period. When i do upgrade/ add an another 680 4gb ( 2way sli)i would be yet again have brought more time. future-proofing my build.

Is my thinking incorrect?

January 29, 2013 1:24:22 AM

already the 680 is more expensive than its worth, u could get 1 670 now, than upgrade to another 670, overclocked 670 can equalize a 680 and somethimes beat it.

January 29, 2013 1:25:05 AM

the 660ti is already fast in sli, tbh games of today and tommorow will be using 2gbs of vram 4gigs is nice but not a must.

January 29, 2013 1:31:40 AM

iceclock said:
already the 680 is more expensive than its worth, u could get 1 670 now, than upgrade to another 670, overclocked 670 can equalize a 680 and somethimes beat it.


I see. "overclocked 670 can equalize a 680 and somethimes beat it." Are you saying that (1) OC 670 can = to a 680 or a 2way sli 670 can = to a 680?
January 29, 2013 1:34:13 AM

im saying 1 670 can equalize a 680, and yes 2 670s in theory when overclocked could equalize 2x680s.

just saying its less costly and has more performance for ur bucks. but its up to u if u want to buy more expensive cards.

January 29, 2013 1:35:33 AM

iceclock said:
the 660ti is already fast in sli, tbh games of today and tommorow will be using 2gbs of vram 4gigs is nice but not a must.


So, you would not recommend a 670 4gb? Side question, if I got a 670 2gb could I sli with a 670 4gb? If so how much VRAM would that grant me?
January 29, 2013 1:40:01 AM

iceclock said:
im saying 1 670 can equalize a 680, and yes 2 670s in theory when overclocked could equalize 2x680s.

just saying its less costly and has more performance for ur bucks. but its up to u if u want to buy more expensive cards.


I like your style. I have read that the asus gtx670 directCU II is a beast, would you recommend that, and if not which one would you?
January 29, 2013 1:49:16 AM

Get the 670 that is non reference(has more than 1 fan pretty much) and then try to find a good brand.

i will list some 670s in a bit
January 29, 2013 1:54:20 AM

Gigabyte 2xfan 670
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn670...
(decent price among the 670s, cheapest dual fan 670 and a pretty good brand)

3x version
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn670...
comes with 3 fans instead of the 2 to get better cooling

ASUS 670 direct cu II
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-gtx670dc22...
very solid card, comes with a backplate(better cooling and more protection for the card, also one of the few that comes with a backplate), and one of the only GPUs that have received a 10.0 for a rating.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670...
January 29, 2013 1:55:04 AM

all those are nice, except evga has one solid warranty, 2years more than those 2. and customer service is a+

but not bad bould
January 29, 2013 2:00:03 AM

meh the one i stated is 360$. not that much lol for that price id go for a 4 gig version :D 

January 29, 2013 2:00:53 AM

Thank you guys for your time and input. I will start looking into those cards. Not going to lie, but once I get all this stuff in. Could I call upon you guys if some goes wrong with the build? I'm a bit worried.
January 29, 2013 2:04:56 AM

PM us when you start to buy so we can help and look for any quick deals that might be available.

Also you yourself can make changes to the build(make sure to tell us before hand to not get scammed out of your money or something along the lines of that) and do not get to crazy with the build like "i want LED lights everywhere"
January 29, 2013 2:08:41 AM

sounds good. ya pm boulbox or me and well hook u up.

shur no problem incsony

January 29, 2013 2:09:48 AM

boulbox said:
PM us when you start to buy so we can help and look for any quick deals that might be available.

Also you yourself can make changes to the build(make sure to tell us before hand to not get scammed out of your money or something along the lines of that) and do not get to crazy with the build like "i want LED lights everywhere"


Sweeeet! i sure will do! I don't care for a box full of LEDs. Maybe 1 or 2. That's it. Man thanks again! Serious.
January 29, 2013 2:10:18 AM

The card with the least ram will be what the SLI will use so stick with like cards.
The 670 2gig for 1080P single monitor would be great
January 29, 2013 2:11:00 AM

iceclock said:
sounds good. ya pm boulbox or me and well hook u up.

shur no problem incsony

Thanks! I sure will.
January 29, 2013 2:11:45 AM

coolio :D 

!