Sign in with
Your question

Is switiching from HIS Radeon 4890 to Radeon Gigabyte 5870 worth it?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 12, 2012 1:45:59 PM

Like the title says. Is it worth to switch from 4890, to Gigabyte Radeon 5870? I know, that chance of bottleneck is almost 100%, but I will change my CPU in future..

So, will be there FPS boost in games like BF3? I want to play on 1920x1200 resolution with good settings.. so.. help?

Or maybe I should go with a different GPU?

Other specs :
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3,00GHZ (stock)
HIS Radeon 4890 1GB
MOBO : Asus P5Q
RAM : 2x2GB GoodRam =4GB
Mid-Tower PC case

Cheers ;) 
December 12, 2012 1:55:22 PM

Last Time I upgraded I got the Gigabyte HD 6850 I will not make the same mistake. I don't know much about HIS Cards, but I know that I do not like my Gigabyte. It gets way too hot.

I assume its because the fans have a relatively low RPM, or I got a defect.

Reguardless I will get my tried and true MSI vid cards from now on.
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 1:55:33 PM

Although you would see an improvement, I think you should go with a better card to make it worthwhile. Maybe a radeon 7870 or a 7850.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 1:58:18 PM

netwired said:
Last Time I upgraded I got the Gigabyte HD 6850 I will not make the same mistake. I don't know much about HIS Cards, but I know that I do not like my Gigabyte. It gets way too hot.

I assume its because the fans have a relatively low RPM, or I got a defect.

Reguardless I will get my tried and true MSI vid cards from now on.

Hah you cant judge a company by one card. You either got a defect or that model was supposed to be quiet so the fans didn't spin fast. Gigabyte is as good as MSI
Anonymous
December 12, 2012 2:08:12 PM

Yes, it will help for sure, 5870 is a jump above the 4890.

Question is, how much can you get 5870 for, I reacon the 4890 will sell on ebay for 2/3 the price of a secong hand 5870, so you will get one really cheap, say $50.

That is worth the upgrade whilst you wait for future upgrade.

Also, you need to OC that E8400 to at least 3.8Ghz, it will make a world of difference!
December 12, 2012 2:08:19 PM

I agree possibly a defect as I stated, but I've only used MSI cards/mobos for years. The one time I get something different there is something wrong with it.

I am not saying Gigabyte is bad, I am saying I will stick with what I know and trust.
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 2:14:39 PM

netwired said:
I agree possibly a defect as I stated, but I've only used MSI cards/mobos for years. The one time I get something different there is something wrong with it.

I am not saying Gigabyte is bad, I am saying I will stick with what I know and trust.

I think it's important to learn from your experiences and not disregard them. There are many companies to choose from. If one serves you well and another lets you down, stick with what has served well. Anyway! I'd recommend a GTX660 over the Radeons for much smoother, more consistent delivery of framerate. To avoid copy/pasting I'll just put this:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/382156-15-nvidia

Check out the third post - big difference coming in performance measuring.
December 12, 2012 2:15:28 PM

Used 5870 I found, with box, and everything, in perfect condition is 170$.

So.. is it worth it's price? I hope it is :D  I really want some more fps in Hitman : Absolution, BF3, or Just Cause 2.. ( Yeah, I know it's old, but with my 4890 I play on high-med settings, 1920x1200, and I get only 40-50fps.. T_T)

Buy it, or not? :D 
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 2:17:53 PM

I wouldn't... I used to have a 5970 (it's like two of those stuck together) and it was horrible. Really inconsistent up/down performance, rendering glitches... I had to wait for 4 months of driver updates before Dead Space 2 was even playable on it (it was less than 1fps and a multi-coloured mess of polygons for 4 months!).
December 12, 2012 2:24:19 PM

That is definitely not worth the price! For $15 more you can get this 2 GB 7850 that will allow you to play BF3 on high settings at over 60 fps. In addition it uses far less power and will give you a performance boost in more games as well as plenty of VRAM for high res textures and MSAA

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Benchmarks:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-revi...

NOTE: Those benchmarks were performed with older, bad drivers. Performance with the new drivers from AMD will be significantly better! Also, if you cannot shell out anything over $170, they do make a 1 GB version of the 7850 that goes for around that price.

December 12, 2012 2:29:36 PM

Crap..
But I don't think NewEgg ships their products to EU.
I'm from Poland, so.. that's the problem I think..
December 12, 2012 2:36:53 PM

For the Shipping issue, you can try a service called ShipitAPO I Use to use it when I was stationed in Italy. They give you a stateside address that will then forward it to you overseas. I don't remember any of the requirements though. check them out.

http://www.shipitapo.com
December 12, 2012 4:47:49 PM

Um..
What do you think about buying a reference Radeon 6970, with 2GB of Vram?

I found it, but it comes without a box, or anything else..
Worth it?
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 4:52:13 PM

I really wouldn't, for the reasons outlined above in the Tech Report article - performance inconsistency. If you really want to go with AMD though, the 6970 is near enough the same as a 7850 in frames/second. Frame latency could be a different story, but it's untested. And if you really want to buy used, make sure it's at least in an anti-static bag and plenty of padding. I wouldn't go for something without a box though to be honest.
December 15, 2012 8:45:53 PM

I was wondering, for a last couple of days, about staying with my 4890, and maybe changing E8400, to Q9550?

Maybe this kind of upgrade is better? Q9550=more fps, than on 5870 and E8400?

What do you think?
a b U Graphics card
December 15, 2012 9:22:19 PM

Since your CPU is probably the limiting factor, I'd say go for it as long as it's not costing too much.
December 15, 2012 9:25:16 PM

Is there going to be a fps boost in BF3? I play on 1920x1200 res..
a b U Graphics card
December 15, 2012 9:28:35 PM

The multiplayer will benefit more. BF3 is interesting in that regard because the key component is not same for SP as for MP. I think the single player also will benefit, but maybe not by as much.
December 15, 2012 9:31:00 PM

Damn.
I'm tottaly lost. I don't know if I should go for GPU, or CPU..

C'mon.. Little help over here? :D 
a b U Graphics card
December 15, 2012 9:46:07 PM

Occasionally there's a quick and easy answer. In this case, that answer would be 'both' :-) Get a bit of money together and upgrade that entire system. If not, best thing you can do is buy a CPU/GPU that is good enough that it can be paired nicely with a new CPU/GPU (whichever you didn't buy) at some point in the future. Were you considering a 5870 because you've seen a deal on a used one?
a c 113 U Graphics card
December 15, 2012 10:09:52 PM

Filvox said:
Crap..
But I don't think NewEgg ships their products to EU.
I'm from Poland, so.. that's the problem I think..

Try amazon - they ship internationally.
a c 113 U Graphics card
December 15, 2012 10:12:47 PM

Filvox said:
Damn.
I'm tottaly lost. I don't know if I should go for GPU, or CPU..

C'mon.. Little help over here? :D 

Personally, I would upgrade the CPU 1st as you will get a performance increase
and start saving money towards a GPU
December 15, 2012 10:21:21 PM

toyftw said:
Personally, I would upgrade the CPU 1st as you will get a performance increase
and start saving money towards a GPU

That's what I thought..
The main useage, of the CPU ( in my case of course :D  ) are video games, that use multi-core CPU's, like BF3, or basiclly, any other newer game.
But.. what will give me more FPS, in games? CPU, or GPU? I heard that it really depends on resolution you play. Even If I have weak CPU now, when I play on 1920x1080, or higher, the bottleneck is almost invisible, and I should get more fps, with 5870, than with my 4890..

CPU now, and wait couple of months, to buy new GPU, or new GPU now, and CPU later? :D 

December 15, 2012 11:35:23 PM

If it were me I'd buy a CPU now and then get a GPU later. As far as CPU's are concerned, you would ideally want an i5 or better, but an i3 will work fine too if you're on a bit of a budget.

But you asked what will give you more FPS in games - and to be honest that does depend heavily on the game. A graphics card is the main item that increases in-game performance, but it can get "bottlenecked" by a bad CPU - meaning the performance of the graphics card will be limited by the CPU anyway.

For these reasons, I'd go with a CPU first (you should notice an improvement in games anyway, plus your system will just run better in general) and then upgrade your GPU later.
December 16, 2012 6:45:36 PM

For me, buying I5=new motherboard.

More money to spend, and I need a quick upgrade.. I think I'll just go with the 5870.. I know it'll give like extra 20fps in many games...

Many people also say, that my E8400 @ stock, shouldn't bottlneck it..
December 17, 2012 5:29:44 AM

i think it will tough the 6mb cache would help. i had to change to q9550 12mb cache to utilize evga 660 ftw signature 2 to 95% gpu usage

best
revro
December 17, 2012 2:13:41 PM

Thanks for all the replays guys.

I think I'm going for XFX5870. I'll change MOBO, and CPU, in three months, or so.
I hope that upgrading the 4890, will make the difference in many games.

What do you think?
!