Is switiching from HIS Radeon 4890 to Radeon Gigabyte 5870 worth it?

Filvox

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Like the title says. Is it worth to switch from 4890, to Gigabyte Radeon 5870? I know, that chance of bottleneck is almost 100%, but I will change my CPU in future..

So, will be there FPS boost in games like BF3? I want to play on 1920x1200 resolution with good settings.. so.. help?

Or maybe I should go with a different GPU?

Other specs :
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3,00GHZ (stock)
HIS Radeon 4890 1GB
MOBO : Asus P5Q
RAM : 2x2GB GoodRam =4GB
Mid-Tower PC case

Cheers ;)

Azn Cracker

Distinguished

Hah you cant judge a company by one card. You either got a defect or that model was supposed to be quiet so the fans didn't spin fast. Gigabyte is as good as MSI

G

Yes, it will help for sure, 5870 is a jump above the 4890.

Question is, how much can you get 5870 for, I reacon the 4890 will sell on ebay for 2/3 the price of a secong hand 5870, so you will get one really cheap, say $50.

That is worth the upgrade whilst you wait for future upgrade.

Also, you need to OC that E8400 to at least 3.8Ghz, it will make a world of difference!

netwired

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
I agree possibly a defect as I stated, but I've only used MSI cards/mobos for years. The one time I get something different there is something wrong with it.

I am not saying Gigabyte is bad, I am saying I will stick with what I know and trust.

I think it's important to learn from your experiences and not disregard them. There are many companies to choose from. If one serves you well and another lets you down, stick with what has served well. Anyway! I'd recommend a GTX660 over the Radeons for much smoother, more consistent delivery of framerate. To avoid copy/pasting I'll just put this:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/382156-15-nvidia

Check out the third post - big difference coming in performance measuring.

Filvox

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Used 5870 I found, with box, and everything, in perfect condition is 170$.

So.. is it worth it's price? I hope it is :D I really want some more fps in Hitman : Absolution, BF3, or Just Cause 2.. ( Yeah, I know it's old, but with my 4890 I play on high-med settings, 1920x1200, and I get only 40-50fps.. T_T)

Buy it, or not? :D

I wouldn't... I used to have a 5970 (it's like two of those stuck together) and it was horrible. Really inconsistent up/down performance, rendering glitches... I had to wait for 4 months of driver updates before Dead Space 2 was even playable on it (it was less than 1fps and a multi-coloured mess of polygons for 4 months!).

jstanley11

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
That is definitely not worth the price! For $15 more you can get this 2 GB 7850 that will allow you to play BF3 on high settings at over 60 fps. In addition it uses far less power and will give you a performance boost in more games as well as plenty of VRAM for high res textures and MSAA

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131472

Benchmarks:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-review-benchmark,3148-6.html

NOTE: Those benchmarks were performed with older, bad drivers. Performance with the new drivers from AMD will be significantly better! Also, if you cannot shell out anything over $170, they do make a 1 GB version of the 7850 that goes for around that price.

Filvox

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Crap..
But I don't think NewEgg ships their products to EU.
I'm from Poland, so.. that's the problem I think..

netwired

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
For the Shipping issue, you can try a service called ShipitAPO I Use to use it when I was stationed in Italy. They give you a stateside address that will then forward it to you overseas. I don't remember any of the requirements though. check them out.

http://www.shipitapo.com

Filvox

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Um..
What do you think about buying a reference Radeon 6970, with 2GB of Vram?

I found it, but it comes without a box, or anything else..
Worth it?

I really wouldn't, for the reasons outlined above in the Tech Report article - performance inconsistency. If you really want to go with AMD though, the 6970 is near enough the same as a 7850 in frames/second. Frame latency could be a different story, but it's untested. And if you really want to buy used, make sure it's at least in an anti-static bag and plenty of padding. I wouldn't go for something without a box though to be honest.

Tom Burnqest

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
http://www.hwcompare.com/996/radeon-hd-4890-1gb-vs-radeon-hd-5870/
That 5870 will blow away a 4890 but your CPU is very low performance and will not keep up.

Filvox

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
I was wondering, for a last couple of days, about staying with my 4890, and maybe changing E8400, to Q9550?

Maybe this kind of upgrade is better? Q9550=more fps, than on 5870 and E8400?

What do you think?

The multiplayer will benefit more. BF3 is interesting in that regard because the key component is not same for SP as for MP. I think the single player also will benefit, but maybe not by as much.

Occasionally there's a quick and easy answer. In this case, that answer would be 'both' :) Get a bit of money together and upgrade that entire system. If not, best thing you can do is buy a CPU/GPU that is good enough that it can be paired nicely with a new CPU/GPU (whichever you didn't buy) at some point in the future. Were you considering a 5870 because you've seen a deal on a used one?

Personally, I would upgrade the CPU 1st as you will get a performance increase
and start saving money towards a GPU

Filvox

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012

That's what I thought..
The main useage, of the CPU ( in my case of course :D ) are video games, that use multi-core CPU's, like BF3, or basiclly, any other newer game.
But.. what will give me more FPS, in games? CPU, or GPU? I heard that it really depends on resolution you play. Even If I have weak CPU now, when I play on 1920x1080, or higher, the bottleneck is almost invisible, and I should get more fps, with 5870, than with my 4890..

CPU now, and wait couple of months, to buy new GPU, or new GPU now, and CPU later? :D

TRENDING THREADS