Sign in with
Your question

Building a PFSense box

Last response: in Networking
January 18, 2012 12:08:54 AM

I have an i7-920(1366 pin) with 6GB of memory needing a new motherboard. I was thinking of turning it into a PFSense box. I'm looking for recommendations on Motherboards and cases. I'm aiming for something fairly cheap and small, but decent. I will be purchasing my own dual port Intel 1gb NIC, so I don't need to worry about dual nic motherboards.

My aim is for a motherboard in the $100-$150 and the case $50-$80. Not limited to, but my expected ranges. An integrated graphics card would be really nice. Smaller form factor is nice also.

Thanks for any Ideas. I've been scouring Newegg for a few days now.

More about : building pfsense box

January 18, 2012 2:39:35 AM

How many computers are going to be running off of this? an i7 is over kill for pfsense. unless your hosting for a log of computers.

January 18, 2012 9:00:06 PM

Just my computer and my wife's and if anyone stops over to play on the LAN.

The main thing is I want to upgrade my computer to an Ivy Bridge. That means I will have a spare i7 with 6GB of ram laying around, although the mobo is crap. It may be overkill, but I might as well use what I got. I was also planning to disable HT since single threaded throughput is more important for routing.

http://ark.intel.com/products/59062/Intel-Ethernet-Serv... may be considered overkill also, but I don't like half-assing stuff.

edit: Depending on prices, maybe an IB router would work out better. Seems ALL of the 1366 mobos are expensive.
!