Video card making high pitched squeal when rendering particles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjgoeman

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
So I just built a new computer with an EVGA gtx 560 ti. I'm currently working on a 3d game as a hobby and there is one particular scene with lots of particles. When the particles emit, the card makes a very quiet, high-pitched whine that changes pitch down and up like a slide whistle until the particles are gone. It's barely audible, and I didn't notice it in other games that are more graphically intense even with the sound turned off. Maybe the fan is going faster then and covers it up? Anyway should I be worried? Is it just normal operating noise? I'm thinking capacitors, but I really don't know. I saw some people say it's a small power supply on a similar thread, but I've got power to spare :??:

Solution
It is coils. They vibrate with the high switching frequencies. They are are part of the power delivery system on the card(turns the 12 volts into whatever the card needs).

It is not damaging and many users simply can not hear it.

In general, it is luck of the draw, I have had cards i could hear at the strangest times.

The same thing can even happen on motherboards(coils around the cpu) and even power supplies(coils again).
It is coils. They vibrate with the high switching frequencies. They are are part of the power delivery system on the card(turns the 12 volts into whatever the card needs).

It is not damaging and many users simply can not hear it.

In general, it is luck of the draw, I have had cards i could hear at the strangest times.

The same thing can even happen on motherboards(coils around the cpu) and even power supplies(coils again).

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.