What do you think of my build? (Havnt ordered yet) (softxpand)

TheNachoman180

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Hello, i have made a wishlist on www.pccasegear.com and i am aiming for about $3000 for a gaming pc to use for multiseat gaming for softxpand. I have made an image for my wishlist

34e2e7m.jpg

As you can see, 2 gpus, 2 monitors, 2 keyboards etc...

Any suggestions?

Remis_H

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
I can tell that you haven't build that many desktops. $3,000 these days is a lot to sink into a desktop, consider how fast silicones are developing. Personally I build about a few dozen system ranging from $250 itx mini mini pc (half the size of a netbook), to $1200 gaming system, I am familiar to almost all of the parts you plan to use.

First of all, the GTX 660ti 3GB is a huge NO GO. You either buy a AMD 7950/7970 that is designed with 3GB or save a hundred bucks with the 2GB 660ti. Consider you only planned on buying a 1080p monitor, the 660ti probably will be good enough.

On to the subject of monitor, personally I will always go with an IPS. But I do fair bits of photoshop and reading on my PC. If all you do is FPS 24/7 that TN you picked probably serve you better.

The ICY box thing seems a little over price and you don't need extra cooling for you drives. Pick a cheaper card reader. Hard drive don't need extra cooling as long as you don't blow hot hair on them.

The Power supply is over kill, unless you plan to go tripple SLI or crazy over clock. Your computer will idle at sub 100w and runs at sub 300w at full load. A 500W~600W quality PSU is all you need to be absolutely safe. You can go with a seasonic 550w passive PSU and save some money, and that PSU is almost the best thing money can buy.

The single channel 8GB ram is a bit odd, I suggest you go with 2x8gb or 2x4gb, to get better performance.

Blu-ray and drives are cheap enough I think it's time for a $3,000 to have one, but if you plan to stream 100% of your media, a simple DVD will suffice.

The two hard drive is a little odd. If you plan to setup a mirror raid for data security, you should get two drives with identical space. The SSD is a solid choice, but I have two systems with a 128gb and a 240gb and the 128 is really tight fit.

The case and fan is a little too chinky, if you ask me, but it's a personal preference. Your LED controller I don't think works with your single color LED fan.

The price seems a little high compare to newegg, I have the exact same motherboard and I pay less than that 7 months ago.

Remis_H

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Sorry, did not notice you plan on to make it a multi user PC. But I would still stand by my recommendations. Except perhaps get another mobo cpu to make it two computer. I don't think two people on one computer ever make sense. If it's two power users, your computing resources will be stress too much. It it's meant for a power user and a less demanding user than simply scaling back on a few component will easily pay for a lowly 300-400 PC that still can easily handle web browsing and office tasks.

TheNachoman180

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

1. What is wrong with that card?
2. Whats the difference?
3. Ok cheaper card reader it is. also, whats up with the cooling? i have no aftermarket fans near the hdds
4. I need it to be future proof too, the gpu needs 450w and 2 is about ok.
5. Im getting 4 of those 8gb ram cards, so quad channel. (the amount is to the right of the part)
6. Dont need blu-ray
7. The extra hdds are for fraps for both users at the same time
8. I know the controller doesnt work with the fan
9. Newegg doesnt ship to aus

thanks for your help!

Remis_H

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Well, don't have answers to all your questions, and sorry didn't notice you are from Australia. I'll tackle what I can.

1. The 3GB version performs exactly the same as 2GB, so that's the problem. Perhaps you'll see some benefit with SLI while playing in 2560x1440 or more. Even in that case you are probably better off getting 7950/7970 or the GTX670

2. IPS display has much better viewing angle. I've got sicken tire of the color shifting of my screen whenever I tilt my head and dumped my TN panel. You might never notice it, but IPS is definitely a superior technology.

3. I was mistaken and thought that ICY box was some kind of HDD cooling. Didn't notice it was just a very expensive card reader...

4. TDP for 660ti is 150w, 450w is estimated total A/C for those who buy middle of the road none 80+ PSU. 550W seasonic can actually out put up to 800w D/C! But since you are in aus I have no idea what that thing will cost you...

7. Fraps on two games at the same time? Perhaps you are really better off with two machine, For the flexibilities and the added computing power. But if you must go this route then there's nothing wrong with those HDD.

TheNachoman180

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
1. What about high vram games? Like skyrim with mods and arma II? Ill be playing those.

2. I see what you mean! I just had a closer look at my TN monitor but i didnt really notice it until i was told. My monitor is facing a bit upwards so its darker than normal and forces me to look from a higher angle while playing dark games. (Will the IPS fix this issue?) Ill check price differences!

3. Yea bit expensive for a card reader. Ill look for cheaper ones!

4. 850w for future proofing because i might get 780s along the lines in the future

7. The 500gb hard drives are specifically for fraps for each user. Should that be a problem for the cpu?

Remis_H

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
This a good ips pannel, with some cut back in other feature though. It's also a bit smaller than you original one, at 21.5". The rated refresh rate is also a little slow, you might notice some ghosting with super fast panning. On a whole if you are not gaming 24/7 this will be a superior monitor to your original choice.

TheNachoman180

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

They are both 60hz, both 1080p, but this is ips with the same price but 5cm smaller. Thats all i see o_O. How is it a little slow? Im going to be doing alot of gaming but im not sure an exact amount of gaming, but alot