Sign in with
Your question
Solved

A few questions on this build

Last response: in Systems
January 27, 2013 9:08:34 PM

This is the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zOUK

Keep in mind that everything is included in the build and I do not want a hard drive, monitor, mouse, etc.

1. Will the CPU bottleneck the GPU? Will the graphics card be able to perform to its best ability without the processor interfering?

2. Could this run Team Fortress 2 at medium settings or higher? Could this run Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 3 at low-medium settings?

3. Is everything compatible? Does the power supply meet the power requirements for all the parts, also having the right connectors for the GPU?

4. Will this hard drive be compatible? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Will it be okay with the PSU? Will it be okay adapting to a new PC with an operating system, programs, and files already on the drive?

More about : questions build

January 27, 2013 9:23:45 PM

Everything is ok, but i think you could do a little better. What is your budget? With new hardware, you will most likely have to reinstall windows. allthough this isnt always the case.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2013 9:24:26 PM

why did you pick that GPU?
Related resources
January 27, 2013 9:26:49 PM

tenaciousk said:
Everything is ok, but i think you could do a little better. What is your budget? With new hardware, you will most likely have to reinstall windows. allthough this isnt always the case.

My budget is as low as possible. I would say $200-$350, but that would be pushing it.

I just want to to run those few games and the PC I have now can run Planetside 2 on medium settings, which is not what I need.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2013 9:27:25 PM

Your power supply is more than enough. That GPU is OLD. You will probably get low settings with it. Try to get an HD7750 minimum.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2013 9:30:01 PM

Also, you will have to reinstall windows with a new motherboard.
January 27, 2013 9:30:11 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($81.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master GX 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $313.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-27 18:29 EST-0500)

If you did somthing like this, you would have decent graphics and processor with 4 cores right off the bat, then down the road if you get extra money. You could add a video card.
January 27, 2013 9:31:54 PM

daswilhelm said:
why did you pick that GPU?

It seems like it is at a nice price, I like NVIDIA based graphics cards, and I believe it can run Fallout: New Vegas well.

Also on my hard drive, I have all the files, folders and a driver for a NVIDIA graphics card.

By the way, I have Windows 7 64-bit and here is my current PC (the one I am using now). http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zW58

Also I am selling it, message me if you are interested in buying it. :) 
I hope I am not breaking a rule by saying that, I don't think I am.

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2013 9:32:49 PM

CPU: Intel Pentium G630 2.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H61M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($104.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($31.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($30.95 @ NCIX US)
Total: $325.87
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-27 18:32 EST-0500)

Get this. It will get you med/high settings in those games.
January 27, 2013 9:33:33 PM

Hey, you could recycle some of those parts in your new build and make somthing decent
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2013 9:34:02 PM

APNxRPG24 said:
It seems like it is at a nice price, I like NVIDIA based graphics cards, and I believe it can run Fallout: New Vegas well.

Also on my hard drive, I have all the files, folders and a driver for a NVIDIA graphics card.

By the way, I have Windows 7 64-bit and here is my current PC (the one I am using now). http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zW58

Also I am selling it, message me if you are interested in buying it. :) 
I hope I am not breaking a rule by saying that, I don't think I am.

just because you have old drivers on your hard drive, doesnt mean you should purchase an old card. besides you should update the driver anways (they are free)
January 27, 2013 9:35:17 PM

tiny voices said:
Also, you will have to reinstall windows with a new motherboard.

How exactly would this work? Could I install it again on my current hard drive that already has windows? Would it wipe all my files? I really hope this is not the case.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2013 9:36:31 PM

You have to do a fresh install if you switch motherboards because the windows key is bonded to the motherboard. You cannot simply stick a HDD with windows on it in a new computer.
January 27, 2013 9:39:46 PM

tiny voices said:

CPU: Intel Pentium G630 2.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H61M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($31.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($30.95 @ NCIX US)
Total: $325.87
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-27 18:32 EST-0500)

Get this. It will get you med/high settings in those games.

I like this, but are you sure the PSU is enough for that graphics card? Also will the CPU bottleneck the GPU? That is a nice GPU to be put in a system with that older CPU.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2013 9:41:20 PM

JefferyD90 said:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... 179.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... 17.99

total price: 237.98

And if your not happy with graphic performance (for what your doing, I think you will be) save up your money and get a 7750 or 7770 at a later time like this one:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... 99.99

Total Price: 337.97

The power supply included in the case shouldn't be used. Stick with something from Antec, XFX, Seasonic, Corsair. This will have to be budgeted in as well.
January 27, 2013 9:41:43 PM

WAIT JUST A MINUTE.... Your downgrading your build? If you have a i3 and a 560 Geforce it WILL run Fallout just fine.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2013 9:42:53 PM

APNxRPG24 said:
I like this, but are you sure the PSU is enough for that graphics card? Also will the CPU bottleneck the GPU? That is a nice GPU to be put in a system with that older CPU.

450w will be plenty. It is a high quality supply. 500w is enough to run an i5 and a gtx 670. So 450w is more than enough to run this. The CPU shouldn't bottleneck the GPU and you will actually be able to play modern games at decent FPS with it.
January 27, 2013 9:43:49 PM

JefferyD90 said:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... 179.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... 17.99

total price: 237.98

And if your not happy with graphic performance (for what your doing, I think you will be) save up your money and get a 7750 or 7770 at a later time like this one:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... 99.99

Total Price: 337.97

This is nice, but I would want to do some research on those parts that I don't really know much about.
I am not picking the best answer yet because I still want to see what others say.
January 27, 2013 9:45:16 PM

tiny voices said:
You have to do a fresh install if you switch motherboards because the windows key is bonded to the motherboard. You cannot simply stick a HDD with windows on it in a new computer.

the key is not bonded to anything. What it is, is the Northbridge chipset drivers load very first thing when Windows loads so if you have a i77 chipset and then switch to a 990 chipset motherboard when it loads the drivers you will have a major software fallout and windows never gets to load correctly. And because Windows doesn't get to load, it cant find the new drivers for your new chipset.
January 27, 2013 9:46:49 PM

JefferyD90 said:
WAIT JUST A MINUTE.... Your downgrading your build? If you have a i3 and a 560 Geforce it WILL run Fallout just fine.

I am selling my current PC because it is more than what I need to play those games. If I sell my old one and buy this new one, I will make about $200 which I will spend.

If you are interested, I am selling my old one for around $550.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2013 9:49:47 PM

To be completely honest, you will probably not get more than $350 for your current computer. Your best bet would be to sell each part separately.
January 27, 2013 9:50:29 PM

The AMD APUs are GREAT for low price point builds. They offer WONDERFUL price to performance ratio. The great thing too is if your not happy with the graphic performance by itself you can add in a GPU and they will work in crossfire so you get (usually) 133-150% performance increase than the GPU by itself. Also, that PSU is fine as long as your not trying to put a 6970 on it or something...
January 27, 2013 9:50:59 PM

JefferyD90 said:
the key is not bonded to anything. What it is, is the Northbridge chipset drivers load very first thing when Windows loads so if you have a i77 chipset and then switch to a 990 chipset motherboard when it loads the drivers you will have a major software fallout and windows never gets to load correctly. And because Windows doesn't get to load, it cant find the new drivers for your new chipset.

Are you saying that I cannot put my hard drive into a new computer, and I will have to transfer all my files to a usb or different drive while I install windows with the new PC?

Please say it easier for me to understand because I got a bit confused.
January 27, 2013 9:55:09 PM

APNxRPG24 said:
Are you saying that I cannot put my hard drive into a new computer, and I will have to transfer all my files to a usb or different drive while I install windows with the new PC?

I DO NOT RECOMMEND JUST SWAPPING THE HD. But it is possible.

Just do a clean install, and just to be clear Microsoft allows each product key to be installed on any 1 machine at any one point in time. For example, if you was using your product key, then decided to throw away that PC it was installed on you could install a new copy of Windows on a new machine using the same product key over.

So there is a little bit of a trust factor that Microsoft has with people here. But they do have their ways of finding out if the product key is in use on more than 1 machine at a time.
January 27, 2013 9:57:11 PM

Quote:
If i were you i would keep your system buy a 7770 Upgrade the ram, and if you want a new processor...although yours will do fine. some ddr3 1600 would help too

If I was him, just sell his current video card and down grade to a 550 or even a 450. The i3 is about as low as I would go on the intel end for gaming.
January 27, 2013 9:57:18 PM

Quote:
If i were you i would keep your system buy a 7770 Upgrade the ram, and if you want a new processor...although yours will do fine. some ddr3 1600 would help too

I don't want to upgrade my current system. I also do not want to downgrade by buying new parts because I will probably have a tough time selling the old parts.

Also to tiny voices, why would it not go for $550? In PC Part Picker, it is about $570 and I can negotiate for selling mine for a little less.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2013 9:59:15 PM

APNxRPG24 said:

APNxRPG24 said:
I don't want to upgrade my current system. I also do not want to downgrade by buying new parts because I will probably have a tough time selling the old parts.

Also to tiny voices, why would it not go for $550? In PC Part Picker, it is about $570 and I can negotiate for selling mine for a little less.

Computer parts, once used, Take about a 25-35% price hit. No chance will you ever get $550 for a system that cost $570 to build. You MIGHT be able to get $400 if you are lucky.
January 27, 2013 10:01:28 PM

JefferyD90 said:
If I was him, just sell his current video card and down grade to a 550 or even a 450. The i3 is about as low as I would go on the intel end for gaming.

I wanted to sell my current PC and get a less expensive one and make about $200.

I don't understand why it is being said that my current PC wont be sold for very much, considering a less performing one is about $300.

My PC is used, but it is not old and in great condition.

Where am I going wrong?
January 27, 2013 10:02:33 PM

tiny voices said:
Computer parts, once used, Take about a 25-35% price hit. No chance will you ever get $550 for a system that cost $570 to build. You MIGHT be able to get $400 if you are lucky.

I agree, I really don't think you will be able to come out on top with this deal. Just stick with what you have. The only thing I would think of changing is the video card.
January 27, 2013 10:05:01 PM

APNxRPG24 said:
I wanted to sell my current PC and get a less expensive one and make about $200.

I don't understand why it is being said that my current PC wont be sold for very much, considering a less performing one is about $300.

Where am I going wrong?

Its just like anything used dude, if you buy a car and drove it off the lot today... and tomorrow you decide to sell it, its worth significantly less. For several reasons, warranties only go to the original owner (so the 2nd hand user is buying a warrantyless product), people don't like buying used stuff, and just the general people buying used stuff are looking for steals, not deals.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2013 10:05:22 PM

APNxRPG24 said:

Where am I going wrong?

Computer parts aren't worth a lot used. You are going to get AT MOST $400 from an idiot. If you posted it on the classifieds here I would expect $300ish.
January 27, 2013 10:06:42 PM

tiny voices said:

Yes, but I am selling it as one so inexperienced builders don't have to do any work. And I could show them how to install their hard drive or do it for them if they pay me for the hard drive.

This is a good deal because you get the computer, take it home, get your OS on the HDD and start playing.

I would feel awful stripping down the nice and new parts, and selling them for less than they are worth. Just so I can make very low money (you say low prices, so I would make $50?) and buy a worse performing computer.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2013 10:06:58 PM

I dropped the CPU a little, but there is almost no performance difference between a G550 and a G630. The 630 has 3mb of l3 cache vs 2mb on the 550, the the 630 is clocked 100mhz higher (2.6ghz vs. 2.7). those are the only differences.

in exchange, the build has:
A much stonger video card
a better motherboard with a much easier upgrade path (no BIOS flash necessary)
1600mhz (CAS9) DDR3 to support a better CPU down the road as well.
A case with better cooling
A higher quality PSU

CPU: Intel Pentium G550 2.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($48.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($58.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.50 @ NCIX US)
Case: Zalman Z9 ATX Mid Tower Case ($31.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $334.39 (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

enjoy!
January 27, 2013 10:10:16 PM

tiny voices said:
Computer parts aren't worth a lot used. You are going to get AT MOST $400 from an idiot. If you posted it on the classifieds here I would expect $300ish.

Like that other guy said, people look for deals. $400-$500 is a great deal for this computer considering it is pre-built, and I will talk to the person to assure the quality of it. I have proof.

Or someone could just buy all the parts for around $550, and assemble it themselves.

This is a deal and will save the buyer money.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2013 10:24:04 PM

APNxRPG24 said:
Like that other guy said, people look for deals. $400-$500 is a great deal for this computer considering it is pre-built, and I will talk to the person to assure the quality of it. I have proof.

Or someone could just buy all the parts for around $550, and assemble it themselves.

This is a deal and will save the buyer money.

Good in theory, But don't be disappointment when people don't offer you more than $300. Also, If you have windows installed on it, you will need a new windows license for your new computer.
January 27, 2013 10:25:05 PM

Let me put it this way.

Someone is looking to buy or possibly build a computer.

My computer meets their specifications.

My computer IS CHEAPER if they decide to buy separate parts and build it, or buy it pre-built from Newegg, CyberPowerPC, iBUYPOWER, etc.

My computer may be used, but the parts work great and I can provide proof of where I bought them and when. Also, the computer is built and there is less work required.

Therefore, the person buys the computer they want for less money and they save time/work.

Sure it isn't a huge price drop than what they would pay, but it is still lower and they would feel safe buying after they have talked to me about it.

Also, do you think it would be easier to replace parts and then sell the all the old parts separately? That would take more work if I want to downgrade most of parts, I think it would be easier to just make another PC.

And does anybody know of any good places I could sell a PC or PC Parts? I am selling it locally on Craigslist right now and I don't want to consider a place like Ebay where they take out some of the money you make. And selling it locally will save me shipping.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2013 10:31:20 PM

APNxRPG24 said:
Let me put it this way.

Someone is looking to buy or possibly build a computer.

My computer meets their specifications.

My computer IS CHEAPER if they decide to buy separate parts and build it, or buy it pre-built from Newegg, CyberPowerPC, iBUYPOWER, etc.

My computer may be used, but the parts work great and I can provide proof of where I bought them and when. Also, the computer is built and there is less work required.

Therefore, the person buys the computer they want for less money and they save time/work.

Sure it isn't a huge price drop than what they would pay, but it is still lower and they would feel safe buying after they have talked to me about it.

Like I said, your theory is perfect. Unfortunately, nobody does it. Anyone who knows anything about computers wouldn't ever consider paying $50 less for a system which is used and has no warranties. Anyone considering a custom gaming computer will pay $50 for 3 years warranties on each part. Also, your GPU is about to be 2 generations old. As is the CPU and motherboard. If those parts were current generation and new-in-box, you would still lose 10% just because they were shipped to you and now have no warranty. You have a $350-$400 system at best man. Sorry.
January 27, 2013 10:39:06 PM

tiny voices said:
Like I said, your theory is perfect. Unfortunately, nobody does it. Anyone who knows anything about computers wouldn't ever consider paying $50 less for a system which is used and has no warranties. Anyone considering a custom gaming computer will pay $50 for 3 years warranties on each part. Also, your GPU is about to be 2 generations old. As is the CPU and motherboard. If those parts were current generation and new-in-box, you would still lose 10% just because they were shipped to you and now have no warranty. You have a $350-$400 system at best man. Sorry.

Yeah, well if I sell it locally and somebody takes a look at it, they might want it. And there are probably people out there that are looking for a gaming PC in their price range, don't care about anything fancy, and would like it built.

I might even be able to provide a warranty for them, since mine might still be running.

What I think is that locally would be the best way since they could actually look at it run, and I could show them the boxes and everything.

Well I have some thinking to do, and you have helped me out a lot, so you get the best answer.

Thanks.
January 27, 2013 10:39:48 PM

Best answer selected by APNxRPG24.
!