Sign in with
Your question
Closed

2x GTX 660 Ti SLI has low FPS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 12, 2012 3:40:12 PM

Hi Everyone!

I wasn't sure if anyone else was having a similar issue in a different thread.
I just built my first rig for the first time, details below:

-- ASUS Sabertooth z77
-- Intel i7 3770k @ 3.5ghz
-- Corsair HX Series HX850w PSU
-- 2 x Asus GTX 660 Ti SLI DC20-G2D5 OC Edition
-- Samsung 840 Series SSD 250gb
-- G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1333

After completing my build, I was anxious to put it to the test, I ran BF3 on Ultra and was getting low fps, averages 30-40fps. This initial test result was from stock/default settings. I scrounged the internet for hours and read that I should OC my CPU. I OCed it to 4.4ghz; it boost my fps to about 43-49fps but still noticeably choppy.

Anyone have any suggestions or advice? Thank you for your time!!

More about : gtx 660 sli low fps

a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 4:20:05 PM

First thing's first, what resolution are you playing at?
Related resources
December 12, 2012 4:47:13 PM

Thank you guys for the prompt responses! I'm running the resolution at 1920 X 1080p; both my GPU Drivers are Version 306.97 (dated 10/10/2012 from Nvidia website). Thanks again!!

PS: In some of the older maps in BF3, such as Metro, my FPS runs at 80 - 107fps; but the newer maps (Aftermath and Armored Kill) runs the average FPS mentioned above. Not sure if this is important info, but I thought I'd mention it
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 4:49:25 PM

Well those newer maps are a lot bigger so I imagine it would be more taxing than metro, but you should be doing better. What's your gpu usage in game? Download gpuz and click log to file to see the max usage. If that isn't 100% there is a driver/power/cpu issue.
December 12, 2012 4:54:19 PM

wanderer11 said:
Well those newer maps are a lot bigger so I imagine it would be more taxing than metro, but you should be doing better. What's your gpu usage in game? Download gpuz and click log to file to see the max usage. If that isn't 100% there is a driver/power/cpu issue.

Thank you Wanderer11! I will be sure to DL GPUZ and post the data generated. If the GPU usage is not 100% should I OC my GPUs for maximum performance? Or does it mean its driver/power/cpu issue for sure?
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 5:08:54 PM

If the usage is not 100% that means the gpus are not being used completely as it is. Your cpu will not hold back any gpu configuration, so if we don't see 99-100% max usage then there is most likely a driver issue. Also, check your cpu temps in game to rule out that overheating.
December 12, 2012 5:19:58 PM

wanderer11 said:
If the usage is not 100% that means the gpus are not being used completely as it is. Your cpu will not hold back any gpu configuration, so if we don't see 99-100% max usage then there is most likely a driver issue. Also, check your cpu temps in game to rule out that overheating.

Great! I will also conduct a driver sweep for re-installation :)  you've been very informative, thank you for that! Also, how can I tell if my GPUs are 100% usage? from my GPU Clock? or is there a percentage read in GPUZ? Sorry... and thank you again!
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 5:25:07 PM

There is a percentage reading and graph for GPU usage.
a c 271 U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 5:39:23 PM

lton said:
Great! I will also conduct a driver sweep for re-installation :)  you've been very informative, thank you for that! Also, how can I tell if my GPUs are 100% usage? from my GPU Clock? or is there a percentage read in GPUZ? Sorry... and thank you again!

Try this for monitoring and the latest drivers.
December 12, 2012 5:51:33 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Try this for monitoring and the latest drivers.

Hi Mousemonkey! thank you for your reply; I am using ASUS GPU Tweak, not sure if that is the same as MSI afterburner, I will be sure to check our Afterburner as it seems to be the preferred software compared to GPU Tweak.

Also, did that driver just come out? that was fast O_O; I'll be sure to install that as well
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 6:17:29 PM

The driver came out a week ago.
December 12, 2012 6:20:57 PM

Sunius said:
The driver came out a week ago.

Ooo, it looks like a beta driver; does it matter if its a beta driver??
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 7:08:08 PM

betas usually work fine, they just aren't guaranteed to. In GPUZ there is an option to log to file on the main tab. Check that. Then play the game and when you are done go to the sensor tab and click on the gpu usage graph. Keep clicking and it cycles through min, max, ave, and instantaneous.
December 12, 2012 7:29:29 PM

wanderer11 said:
betas usually work fine, they just aren't guaranteed to. In GPUZ there is an option to log to file on the main tab. Check that. Then play the game and when you are done go to the sensor tab and click on the gpu usage graph. Keep clicking and it cycles through min, max, ave, and instantaneous.

Sweet! I will log the data and post it here, what would be a good duration to determine the usage? 30 - 1 hour? or longer?
a c 202 U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 7:30:22 PM

dont forget to install all of the sabertooth bios patches there a few for ram and cpu.
December 12, 2012 7:38:59 PM

smorizio said:
dont forget to install all of the sabertooth bios patches there a few for ram and cpu.

Hi smorizio, any specifics? I believe I installed all of the latest patches for the Sabertooth z77 (from website); can't be too sure though :\
a c 202 U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 8:14:37 PM

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/SABE...
bios 1708
boot into the bios look at the rev on the bios man screen.
if it lower then 1708 download the bios and run the bios renamer it make a file called z77st.cap.
put it on a usb stick or in a folder where you know where it is.then use asus bios updater in the bios and update your bios.
December 12, 2012 8:25:46 PM

smorizio said:
http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/SABE...
bios 1708
boot into the bios look at the rev on the bios man screen.
if it lower then 1708 download the bios and run the bios renamer it make a file called z77st.cap.
put it on a usb stick or in a folder where you know where it is.then use asus bios updater in the bios and update your bios.

Hello smorizio, I see; if that is what you were referring to, I did install the latest version but I installed the latest BiOS version after I installed the video cards and its drivers. Should I have installed the BiOS patch prior to the installation of my GPUs? thank you again :) 
December 12, 2012 8:26:19 PM

lton said:
Thank you Regina_49! I will be sure to follow the uninstall guide posted!
Your welcome! ;) 
a c 202 U Graphics card
December 13, 2012 5:41:12 AM

installing the newer bios before or after the newest video drive wont matter. with the sabertooth it has few qurks. make sure under video that onboard video is turned off. make sure you did not install the mvp software...that cause issues with gpus. if you did boot into save mode and uninstall it. make sure in the bios that you dont tuch the speed the other pci ports run at if you switch it from auto to 4x per the user guild it shut off the other pci ports on the mb. also make sure the pci bus speed is set to auto. you can set it with a ib chip to pci 3.0 mode/pci/2.0/1.0 mode. with gpu-z if the cards are in the right slots they should be reading pci 3.0 at 8x/8x mode. in the nvidia control pannel set the video card to performace mode. if your running one monitor change it from muilt monitor to one. turn off power saving in the driver too. you may have to tweek with the games and nvidia control pannel v-syink and aa settings and stuff.
December 13, 2012 5:46:46 AM

Hello everyone! Thought I would update my current status of my prior inquiry. So, I've tried all of the above mentioned suggestions/advice, I started with running the uninstall guide and ran Drive Sweeper for a fresh install. I installed the beta driver version 310.70, but when I ran BF3 it would give me a DirectX error prompt.

I ran another uninstall process and reinstalled the 306.97 stable driver. Ran the game, and my FPS was still averaging 36-40fps. I also used GPUZ to monitor my performance and it showed my GPU Load was averaging only 44-48% in game.

Long story short, I did another clean install and shut down instead of reboot. After shutdown, my brother suggested I unplug the PSU and switch the position of my GPUs. After I switched them, I tried BF3 again along with GPUZ, like magic; BF3 was running 100+ FPS and my GPU Load was averaging 98%.

Anyone with a similar problem should switch the positions of GPU1 with GPU2 vice versa; I can't guarantee this was the real solution as I ran all of the troubleshoots mentioned above! I suggest you try all of the above!

Thank you guys again!!
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2012 9:18:45 AM

Good to see you got it working.
!