joysticks,game controllers not support with my xp computer

TT

but in other xp computer it's work
in my xp computer have a problem with human interface device
what 's the human interface

Are you using game port of USB controllers?

There are no older drivers for the game port devices, since the form in
which they were written is not supported on Windows XP - however, just plug
in the controller, then go into Control Panel/Game Controllers and select
Add, then scroll to the proper device (like Microsoft SideWinder) listing,
highlight it and then OK your way out.

The correct drivers necessary are already part of Windows XP and will be
installed for you by the system. You will lose the old "profile"
capabilities formerly available in Game Controllers, but if the games
themselves support the settings, you can save them there.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"tt" <tt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> but in other xp computer it's work
> in my xp computer have a problem with human interface device
> what 's the human interface

Sounds like your USB chipset may be the issue. Please make sure you have at
leaset Service Pack 1 (preferably Service Pack 2) installed and update your
USB drivers.

Joshua Smith
OpenGL Test Lab (formerly DirectInput test lab)
Microsoft
-----

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

"tt" <tt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> but in other xp computer it's work
> in my xp computer have a problem with human interface device
> what 's the human interface

Pred

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2004

I tried installing a dual shock game controller. It works fine on my 98
based lap top but it does not work at all on my XP based pc's. None of my
pc based machines has HID listed. How do I get HID for XP Home?

"Chris H." wrote:

> Are you using game port of USB controllers?
>
> There are no older drivers for the game port devices, since the form in
> which they were written is not supported on Windows XP - however, just plug
> in the controller, then go into Control Panel/Game Controllers and select
> Add, then scroll to the proper device (like Microsoft SideWinder) listing,
> highlight it and then OK your way out.
>
> The correct drivers necessary are already part of Windows XP and will be
> installed for you by the system. You will lose the old "profile"
> capabilities formerly available in Game Controllers, but if the games
> themselves support the settings, you can save them there.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> Associate Expert
>
> "tt" <tt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > but in other xp computer it's work
> > in my xp computer have a problem with human interface device
> > what 's the human interface

Are your USB ports KNOWN to be working with other devices like USB printers
etc?

Are you installing the software for the game controllers BEFORE you connect
it to the PC?
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried installing a dual shock game controller. It works fine on my 98
> based lap top but it does not work at all on my XP based pc's. None of
> my
> pc based machines has HID listed. How do I get HID for XP Home?
>
> "Chris H." wrote:
>
>> Are you using game port of USB controllers?
>>
>> There are no older drivers for the game port devices, since the form in
>> which they were written is not supported on Windows XP - however, just
>> plug
>> in the controller, then go into Control Panel/Game Controllers and select
>> Add, then scroll to the proper device (like Microsoft SideWinder)
>> listing,
>> highlight it and then OK your way out.
>>
>> The correct drivers necessary are already part of Windows XP and will be
>> installed for you by the system. You will lose the old "profile"
>> capabilities formerly available in Game Controllers, but if the games
>> themselves support the settings, you can save them there.
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP
>> Associate Expert
>>
>> "tt" <tt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > but in other xp computer it's work
>> > in my xp computer have a problem with human interface device
>> > what 's the human interface

Pred

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2004

Yes on both accounts.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Are your USB ports KNOWN to be working with other devices like USB printers
> etc?
>
> Are you installing the software for the game controllers BEFORE you connect
> it to the PC?
> --
> Cari
> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
>
> "Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I tried installing a dual shock game controller. It works fine on my 98
> > based lap top but it does not work at all on my XP based pc's. None of
> > my
> > pc based machines has HID listed. How do I get HID for XP Home?
> >
> > "Chris H." wrote:
> >
> >> Are you using game port of USB controllers?
> >>
> >> There are no older drivers for the game port devices, since the form in
> >> which they were written is not supported on Windows XP - however, just
> >> plug
> >> in the controller, then go into Control Panel/Game Controllers and select
> >> Add, then scroll to the proper device (like Microsoft SideWinder)
> >> listing,
> >> highlight it and then OK your way out.
> >>
> >> The correct drivers necessary are already part of Windows XP and will be
> >> installed for you by the system. You will lose the old "profile"
> >> capabilities formerly available in Game Controllers, but if the games
> >> themselves support the settings, you can save them there.
> >> --
> >> Chris H.
> >> Microsoft Windows MVP
> >> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
> >> Associate Expert
> >> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >>
> >> "tt" <tt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

If you have VIA USB controllers you need to make sure you are running new
drivers. There was an issue with older VIA drivers and game controllers.

Joshua Smith
OpenGL Test Lab
Microsoft
-----

> Yes on both accounts.
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Are your USB ports KNOWN to be working with other devices like USB
>> printers
>> etc?
>>
>> Are you installing the software for the game controllers BEFORE you
>> connect
>> it to the PC?
>> --
>> Cari
>> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
>>
>> "Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I tried installing a dual shock game controller. It works fine on my
>> >98
>> > based lap top but it does not work at all on my XP based pc's. None
>> > of
>> > my
>> > pc based machines has HID listed. How do I get HID for XP Home?

Pred

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2004

How do I get the newer drivers and will they give me the HID catagory under
device manager that I have been told is needed for the game controllers to
function. I have XP home and all the updates from the MS site.

"Joshua Smith [MSFT]" wrote:

> If you have VIA USB controllers you need to make sure you are running new
> drivers. There was an issue with older VIA drivers and game controllers.
>
> Joshua Smith
> OpenGL Test Lab
> Microsoft
> -----

> "Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes on both accounts.
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Are your USB ports KNOWN to be working with other devices like USB
> >> printers
> >> etc?
> >>
> >> Are you installing the software for the game controllers BEFORE you
> >> connect
> >> it to the PC?
> >> --
> >> Cari
> >> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
> >>
> >> "Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi Pred,

You can download the USB 2.0 drivers from VIA at:
http://www.viaarena.com/Default.aspx?PageID=2

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games

"Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D1CFA4C0-59F9-4E2E-8C2F-9CE457729FEF@microsoft.com...
| How do I get the newer drivers and will they give me the HID catagory under
| device manager that I have been told is needed for the game controllers to
| function. I have XP home and all the updates from the MS site.
|
| "Joshua Smith [MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > If you have VIA USB controllers you need to make sure you are running new
| > drivers. There was an issue with older VIA drivers and game controllers.
| >
| > Joshua Smith
| > OpenGL Test Lab
| > Microsoft
| > -----
| >
| > Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| >
| > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
| >
| > "Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > > Yes on both accounts.

Pred

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2004

How do I know which driver to download? It has VT6202 and VT6212 and also
says to NOT get them confused. I have XP service pack 2, they have XP
service pack 1 as needed. I went to device manager and clicked on each USB
cat. and clicked update already.

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Pred,
>
> You can download the USB 2.0 drivers from VIA at:
> http://www.viaarena.com/Default.aspx?PageID=2
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

> Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>
> "Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D1CFA4C0-59F9-4E2E-8C2F-9CE457729FEF@microsoft.com...
> | How do I get the newer drivers and will they give me the HID catagory under
> | device manager that I have been told is needed for the game controllers to
> | function. I have XP home and all the updates from the MS site.
> |
> | "Joshua Smith [MSFT]" wrote:
> |
> | > If you have VIA USB controllers you need to make sure you are running new
> | > drivers. There was an issue with older VIA drivers and game controllers.
> | >
> | > Joshua Smith
> | > OpenGL Test Lab
> | > Microsoft
> | > -----
> | >
> | > Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
> | >
> | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
> | >
> | > "Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi Pred,

Compare the specifications of the drivers to the specifications
of your computer system to ensure you're installing the right
ones. Check the documentation that came with your PC. :)

--

"Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0BD34815-C8AE-4ADF-9C04-75639ABC91C7@microsoft.com...
| How do I know which driver to download? It has VT6202 and VT6212 and also
| says to NOT get them confused. I have XP service pack 2, they have XP
| service pack 1 as needed. I went to device manager and clicked on each USB
| cat. and clicked update already.
|
| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Pred,
| >
| > You can download the USB 2.0 drivers from VIA at:
| > http://www.viaarena.com/Default.aspx?PageID=2
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
| > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >
| > "Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D1CFA4C0-59F9-4E2E-8C2F-9CE457729FEF@microsoft.com...
| > | How do I get the newer drivers and will they give me the HID catagory under
| > | device manager that I have been told is needed for the game controllers to
| > | function. I have XP home and all the updates from the MS site.
| > |
| > | "Joshua Smith [MSFT]" wrote:
| > |
> [...]

Pred

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2004

Guess no one can help me on this. Thanks for all yout ime and effort but none
of your advice worked. Looks like I have to switch to a Mac to get game
controllers to work. I really don't know what else to do. Why do some PCs
that have XP home have the HID cat, and some don't ? Look up Dual Shock
troubles and you will find dozens and dozens of other XP users that share my
problem.

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Pred,
>
> Compare the specifications of the drivers to the specifications
> of your computer system to ensure you're installing the right
> ones. Check the documentation that came with your PC. :)
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

> Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>
> "Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0BD34815-C8AE-4ADF-9C04-75639ABC91C7@microsoft.com...
> | How do I know which driver to download? It has VT6202 and VT6212 and also
> | says to NOT get them confused. I have XP service pack 2, they have XP
> | service pack 1 as needed. I went to device manager and clicked on each USB
> | cat. and clicked update already.
> |
> | "Jimmy S." wrote:
> |
> | > Hi Pred,
> | >
> | > You can download the USB 2.0 drivers from VIA at:
> | > http://www.viaarena.com/Default.aspx?PageID=2
> | >
> | > --
> | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> | >
> | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
> | > Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
> | > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
> | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
> | > _________________________________________________________

> | > |
> | > |

Pred,

You only need to follow my last advice and install the drivers.
The only thing you have to do is determine which version you
need to install. If you don't want to go through the trouble of
looking up the documentation about your system for yourself,
you can just try one of the 2 drivers instead.

You have a 50/50 chance to get the right driver the first time!

--

"Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D0ADF6BC-914E-4FFD-85B2-CBEC6C59001C@microsoft.com...
| Guess no one can help me on this. Thanks for all yout ime and effort but none
| of your advice worked. Looks like I have to switch to a Mac to get game
| controllers to work. I really don't know what else to do. Why do some PCs
| that have XP home have the HID cat, and some don't ? Look up Dual Shock
| troubles and you will find dozens and dozens of other XP users that share my
| problem.
|
| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Pred,
| >
| > Compare the specifications of the drivers to the specifications
| > of your computer system to ensure you're installing the right
| > ones. Check the documentation that came with your PC. :)
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
| > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >
| > "Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0BD34815-C8AE-4ADF-9C04-75639ABC91C7@microsoft.com...
| > | How do I know which driver to download? It has VT6202 and VT6212 and also
| > | says to NOT get them confused. I have XP service pack 2, they have XP
| > | service pack 1 as needed. I went to device manager and clicked on each USB
| > | cat. and clicked update already.
| > |
| > | "Jimmy S." wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > | > |
| > | > |
> [...]

Pred

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2004

I already tried that.

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Pred,
>
> You only need to follow my last advice and install the drivers.
> The only thing you have to do is determine which version you
> need to install. If you don't want to go through the trouble of
> looking up the documentation about your system for yourself,
> you can just try one of the 2 drivers instead.
>
> You have a 50/50 chance to get the right driver the first time!
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

> Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>
> "Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D0ADF6BC-914E-4FFD-85B2-CBEC6C59001C@microsoft.com...
> | Guess no one can help me on this. Thanks for all yout ime and effort but none
> | of your advice worked. Looks like I have to switch to a Mac to get game
> | controllers to work. I really don't know what else to do. Why do some PCs
> | that have XP home have the HID cat, and some don't ? Look up Dual Shock
> | troubles and you will find dozens and dozens of other XP users that share my
> | problem.
> |
> | "Jimmy S." wrote:
> |
> | > Hi Pred,
> | >
> | > Compare the specifications of the drivers to the specifications
> | > of your computer system to ensure you're installing the right
> | > ones. Check the documentation that came with your PC. :)
> | >
> | > --
> | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> | >
> | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
> | > Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
> | > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
> | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
> | > _________________________________________________________

> | > |
> | > |

> | > | > |
> | > | > |

Hi Pred,

What did you try exactly? Can you detail the steps and the results?
Are you now able to see HID entries in your Device Manager?

--

"Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F193E6C-36FC-4806-AE4A-90E7607C1CA1@microsoft.com...
|I already tried that.
|
| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Pred,
| >
| > You only need to follow my last advice and install the drivers.
| > The only thing you have to do is determine which version you
| > need to install. If you don't want to go through the trouble of
| > looking up the documentation about your system for yourself,
| > you can just try one of the 2 drivers instead.
| >
| > You have a 50/50 chance to get the right driver the first time!
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
| > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >
| > "Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D0ADF6BC-914E-4FFD-85B2-CBEC6C59001C@microsoft.com...
| > | Guess no one can help me on this. Thanks for all yout ime and effort but none
| > | of your advice worked. Looks like I have to switch to a Mac to get game
| > | controllers to work. I really don't know what else to do. Why do some PCs
| > | that have XP home have the HID cat, and some don't ? Look up Dual Shock
| > | troubles and you will find dozens and dozens of other XP users that share my
| > | problem.
| > |
| > | "Jimmy S." wrote:
| > |

| > | > |
| > | > |
> [...]
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
> [...]

Pred

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2004

The USB ports all worked with various other hardware, I installed the
drivers for the dual shock before connecting the dual shock controller to the
usb port. I went to device manager and check the USB ports and clicked on
update drivers, I went to the viaarena.com site and downloaded their drivers.
I went online to check on known problems with the dual shock controller and
found that dozens of other people have the same problem I have. I tried
starting all over and wiping the hard drive and reinstalling windows and
everything else. Nothing helped, I then went again to the viaarena site and
downloaded their drivers and it still does not help. I still cannot see HID
under device manager. I have XP home service pack 2 installed on an
EMachines W2646 with 1 gig ram.

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Pred,
>
> What did you try exactly? Can you detail the steps and the results?
> Are you now able to see HID entries in your Device Manager?
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

> Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>
> "Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F193E6C-36FC-4806-AE4A-90E7607C1CA1@microsoft.com...
> |I already tried that.
> |
> | "Jimmy S." wrote:
> |
> | > Pred,
> | >
> | > You only need to follow my last advice and install the drivers.
> | > The only thing you have to do is determine which version you
> | > need to install. If you don't want to go through the trouble of
> | > looking up the documentation about your system for yourself,
> | > you can just try one of the 2 drivers instead.
> | >
> | > You have a 50/50 chance to get the right driver the first time!
> | >
> | > --
> | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> | >
> | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
> | > Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
> | > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
> | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
> | > _________________________________________________________

> | > |
> | > |

> | > | > |
> | > | > |

> | > | > | > |
> | > | > | > |

Hi Pred,

Thanks for posting that information! It's going to make it easier
for everyone reading this thread to understand the problem. :)

You also say that some others have reported the same issue;
Could you post those links so we can see what's been tried?

--

"Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:260102EE-0938-4ED7-9EF7-2A67EF379B19@microsoft.com...
| The USB ports all worked with various other hardware, I installed the
| drivers for the dual shock before connecting the dual shock controller to the
| usb port. I went to device manager and check the USB ports and clicked on
| update drivers, I went to the viaarena.com site and downloaded their drivers.
| I went online to check on known problems with the dual shock controller and
| found that dozens of other people have the same problem I have. I tried
| starting all over and wiping the hard drive and reinstalling windows and
| everything else. Nothing helped, I then went again to the viaarena site and
| downloaded their drivers and it still does not help. I still cannot see HID
| under device manager. I have XP home service pack 2 installed on an
| EMachines W2646 with 1 gig ram.
|
| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Pred,
| >
| > What did you try exactly? Can you detail the steps and the results?
| > Are you now able to see HID entries in your Device Manager?
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
| > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >
| > "Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F193E6C-36FC-4806-AE4A-90E7607C1CA1@microsoft.com...
| > |I already tried that.
| > |
| > | "Jimmy S." wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
> [...]
| > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > |
> [...]

Pred

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2004

I found the other people with this problem by going to the website of the
store where I purchased the dual shock controller. There are 88 remarks
about attempting to get XP and dual shocks to work together. After reading
and doing more research on my own that is how I found out about the missing
HID cat under device manager. Most of the people that are having troubles do
not know to even look for HID but the few that I could track down all were
lacking HID under device manager. If you read many of the complaints they
mention it does not work with XP, it does work with XP if you have HID
listed. I found 88 complaints about dual shock not working under dual
shock reviews under the ebgames website. I have spent considerable time and
effort tracking down which PCs using XP that could use a dual shock and which
PCs using XP that could not. Everytime an XP based PC could not use it that
I found, it was lacking HID.

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Pred,
>
> Thanks for posting that information! It's going to make it easier
> for everyone reading this thread to understand the problem. :)
>
> You also say that some others have reported the same issue;
> Could you post those links so we can see what's been tried?
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

> Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>
> "Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:260102EE-0938-4ED7-9EF7-2A67EF379B19@microsoft.com...
> | The USB ports all worked with various other hardware, I installed the
> | drivers for the dual shock before connecting the dual shock controller to the
> | usb port. I went to device manager and check the USB ports and clicked on
> | update drivers, I went to the viaarena.com site and downloaded their drivers.
> | I went online to check on known problems with the dual shock controller and
> | found that dozens of other people have the same problem I have. I tried
> | starting all over and wiping the hard drive and reinstalling windows and
> | everything else. Nothing helped, I then went again to the viaarena site and
> | downloaded their drivers and it still does not help. I still cannot see HID
> | under device manager. I have XP home service pack 2 installed on an
> | EMachines W2646 with 1 gig ram.
> |
> | "Jimmy S." wrote:
> |
> | > Hi Pred,
> | >
> | > What did you try exactly? Can you detail the steps and the results?
> | > Are you now able to see HID entries in your Device Manager?
> | >
> | > --
> | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> | >
> | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
> | > Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
> | > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
> | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
> | > _________________________________________________________

> | > |
> | > |

> | > | > |
> | > | > |

> | > | > | > |
> | > | > | > |

> | > | > | > | > |
> | > | > | > | > |

Out of curiosity, how many of these machines are running XP SP2 and how
many on SP1? Is there a commonality among computer brands? How are the 88
individuals viewing things in Device Manager? Is it by Devices by type,
Devices by connection, Resources by type or Resources by connection? Have
any of these folks run System File Checker?
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

> [...]
>> to the
>> | usb port. I went to device manager and check the USB ports and clicked
>> on
>> | update drivers, I went to the viaarena.com site and downloaded their
>> drivers.
>> | I went online to check on known problems with the dual shock controller
>> and
>> | found that dozens of other people have the same problem I have. I
>> tried
>> | starting all over and wiping the hard drive and reinstalling windows
>> and
>> | everything else. Nothing helped, I then went again to the viaarena
>> site and
>> | downloaded their drivers and it still does not help. I still cannot
>> see HID
>> | under device manager. I have XP home service pack 2 installed on an

Hi Pred,

Do you have a working USB mouse attached to your computer?
Does the Dual Shock work if you connect it to another PC?
Have you upgraded to SP 2?
Try the suggestions in this article as well:
http://www.elotouch.com/support/webtech/universal_no_hid.asp

--

"Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33809D94-984C-4D05-A14A-700F4A044347@microsoft.com...
|I found the other people with this problem by going to the website of the
| store where I purchased the dual shock controller. There are 88 remarks
| about attempting to get XP and dual shocks to work together. After reading
| and doing more research on my own that is how I found out about the missing
| HID cat under device manager. Most of the people that are having troubles do
| not know to even look for HID but the few that I could track down all were
| lacking HID under device manager. If you read many of the complaints they
| mention it does not work with XP, it does work with XP if you have HID
| listed. I found 88 complaints about dual shock not working under dual
| shock reviews under the ebgames website. I have spent considerable time and
| effort tracking down which PCs using XP that could use a dual shock and which
| PCs using XP that could not. Everytime an XP based PC could not use it that
| I found, it was lacking HID.
|
| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Pred,
| >
| > Thanks for posting that information! It's going to make it easier
| > for everyone reading this thread to understand the problem. :)
| >
| > You also say that some others have reported the same issue;
| > Could you post those links so we can see what's been tried?
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
| > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >
| > "Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:260102EE-0938-4ED7-9EF7-2A67EF379B19@microsoft.com...
| > | The USB ports all worked with various other hardware, I installed the
| > | drivers for the dual shock before connecting the dual shock controller to the
| > | usb port. I went to device manager and check the USB ports and clicked on
| > | update drivers, I went to the viaarena.com site and downloaded their drivers.
| > | I went online to check on known problems with the dual shock controller and
| > | found that dozens of other people have the same problem I have. I tried
| > | starting all over and wiping the hard drive and reinstalling windows and
| > | everything else. Nothing helped, I then went again to the viaarena site and
| > | downloaded their drivers and it still does not help. I still cannot see HID
| > | under device manager. I have XP home service pack 2 installed on an
| > | EMachines W2646 with 1 gig ram.
| > |
| > | "Jimmy S." wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > | > |
| > | > |
> [...]
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |

| > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > |
> [...]
| > | > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > | > |
> [...]

Pred

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2004

I could not track down all the info for everyone else, but on the few I could
here is what I found. On my PC I had XP SP1 and no HID, I am now running XP
SP2 and still do not have HID. My room mate has XP SP1 and has HID on a
different brand PC. Some Dells and some Gateways seem to have the same
problem I do but I could not determine if they were using SP1 or SP2. Not
sure about if anyone ran System File Checker.

"Chris H." wrote:

> [...]
> > that
> > I found, it was lacking HID.
> >
> > "Jimmy S." wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Pred,
> >>
> >> Thanks for posting that information! It's going to make it easier
> >> for everyone reading this thread to understand the problem. :)
> >>
> >> You also say that some others have reported the same issue;
> >> Could you post those links so we can see what's been tried?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> >> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >>
> >> Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
> >> Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
> >> MS Assisted Support:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
> >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any

The dual shock works fine when it is connected to my room mates PC with XP
that shows HID. A USB mouse does NOT work on my PC, but other USB devices
work fine.

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Pred,
>
> Do you have a working USB mouse attached to your computer?
> Does the Dual Shock work if you connect it to another PC?
> Have you upgraded to SP 2?
> Try the suggestions in this article as well:
> http://www.elotouch.com/support/webtech/universal_no_hid.asp
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

> Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>
> "Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33809D94-984C-4D05-A14A-700F4A044347@microsoft.com...
> |I found the other people with this problem by going to the website of the
> | store where I purchased the dual shock controller. There are 88 remarks
> | about attempting to get XP and dual shocks to work together. After reading
> | and doing more research on my own that is how I found out about the missing
> | HID cat under device manager. Most of the people that are having troubles do
> | not know to even look for HID but the few that I could track down all were
> | lacking HID under device manager. If you read many of the complaints they
> | mention it does not work with XP, it does work with XP if you have HID
> | listed. I found 88 complaints about dual shock not working under dual
> | shock reviews under the ebgames website. I have spent considerable time and
> | effort tracking down which PCs using XP that could use a dual shock and which
> | PCs using XP that could not. Everytime an XP based PC could not use it that
> | I found, it was lacking HID.
> |
> | "Jimmy S." wrote:
> |
> | > Hi Pred,
> | >
> | > Thanks for posting that information! It's going to make it easier
> | > for everyone reading this thread to understand the problem. :)
> | >
> | > You also say that some others have reported the same issue;
> | > Could you post those links so we can see what's been tried?
> | >
> | > --
> | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> | >
> | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
> | > Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
> | > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
> | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
> | > _________________________________________________________

> | > |
> | > |

> | > | > |
> | > | > |

> | > | > | > |
> | > | > | > |

> | > | > | > | > |
> | > | > | > | > |

> | > | > | > | > | > |
> | > | > | > | > | > |

Hi Pred,

If the USB mouse isn't working, try these tips:

"Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:409D3B4B-4511-423B-9393-3A9A23C7A9EB@microsoft.com...
| The dual shock works fine when it is connected to my room mates PC with XP
| that shows HID. A USB mouse does NOT work on my PC, but other USB devices
| work fine.
|
| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Pred,
| >
| > Do you have a working USB mouse attached to your computer?
| > Does the Dual Shock work if you connect it to another PC?
| > Have you upgraded to SP 2?
| > Try the suggestions in this article as well:
| > http://www.elotouch.com/support/webtech/universal_no_hid.asp
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
| > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >
| > "Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33809D94-984C-4D05-A14A-700F4A044347@microsoft.com...
| > |I found the other people with this problem by going to the website of the
| > | store where I purchased the dual shock controller. There are 88 remarks
| > | about attempting to get XP and dual shocks to work together. After reading
| > | and doing more research on my own that is how I found out about the missing
| > | HID cat under device manager. Most of the people that are having troubles do
| > | not know to even look for HID but the few that I could track down all were
| > | lacking HID under device manager. If you read many of the complaints they
| > | mention it does not work with XP, it does work with XP if you have HID
| > | listed. I found 88 complaints about dual shock not working under dual
| > | shock reviews under the ebgames website. I have spent considerable time and
| > | effort tracking down which PCs using XP that could use a dual shock and which
| > | PCs using XP that could not. Everytime an XP based PC could not use it that
| > | I found, it was lacking HID.
| > |
| > | "Jimmy S." wrote:
| > |

| > | > |
| > | > |
> [...]
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
> [...]
| > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > |

| > | > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > | > |
> [...]
| > | > | > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > | > | > |
> [...]

Pred

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2004

I went to that website and it was of no help, thank you anyway though.

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Pred,
>
> If the USB mouse isn't working, try these tips:
> http://www.elotouch.com/support/webtech/universal_no_hid.asp
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

> Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>
> "Pred" <Pred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:409D3B4B-4511-423B-9393-3A9A23C7A9EB@microsoft.com...
> | The dual shock works fine when it is connected to my room mates PC with XP
> | that shows HID. A USB mouse does NOT work on my PC, but other USB devices
> | work fine.
> |
> | "Jimmy S." wrote:
> |
> | > Hi Pred,
> | >
> | > Do you have a working USB mouse attached to your computer?
> | > Does the Dual Shock work if you connect it to another PC?
> | > Have you upgraded to SP 2?
> | > Try the suggestions in this article as well:
> | > http://www.elotouch.com/support/webtech/universal_no_hid.asp
> | >
> | > --
> | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> | >
> | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
> | > Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
> | > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
> | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
> | > _________________________________________________________

> | > |
> | > |

> | > | > |
> | > | > |

> | > | > | > |
> | > | > | > |

> | > | > | > | > |
> | > | > | > | > |

> | > | > | > | > | > |
> | > | > | > | > | > |

> | > | > | > | > | > | > |
> | > | > | > | > | > | > |

Pred

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2004

I have stopped trying to fix the missing HID problem for a while since I
became frustrated with it. I still cannot get the files the website says I
need. The listed files it says are needed are

Hidusb.sys

Hidclass.sys

Hidparse.sys

Mouhid.sys

I no longer have access to a computer that has HID listed under device
manager. Any ideas?