Audio Issues With My HD 7950

kmuck81

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Hey folks, got a few questions about my graphics card/tv setup. I recently picked up a Sapphire HD 7950 and it's been running great with the exception of some rather annoying audio issues. When running audio through my graphics card via HDMI it skips continuously when playing windows system sounds, mp3s in windows media player (video formats work fine though), and even when running Netflix (though oddly enough having YouTube open in another tab fixes all of these audio issues).

After a bunch of trouble shooting I ultimately had the common sense to plug my computer into my girlfriends brand new HDTV with the same HDMI cable and the audio works flawlessly. I know there are different versions of HDMI but I've never heard of incompatibility issues like this. My HDTV was first available back in 2010 (it's a Vizio E370VL). Considering the cable and card seem to work perfectly fine on the other TV I'm left wondering if my current TV is simply too old or incompatible. It works with HDMI audio from my Xbox 360, PS3, and older GTX 560 Ti perfectly fine.

Any advice?

cl-scott

Honorable
Since it is rather inexpensive and quick, plus it never hurts having a spare, I would try replacing the HDMI cable first. Also, might not be a bad idea to double check all the audio settings and make sure Windows isn't trying to upsample the frequency rate from say 44.1KHz to 48KHz which your TV's speakers may not be able to handle.

kmuck81

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

Hi, thanks for the advice. I tried a different HDMI cable as well as changing the frequency rate but the problem still persists. I also tried uninstalling the AMD audio drivers and using the default windows HD audio drivers instead but when doing this windows doesn't even seem to register the device is plugged in.