Please help - can't access school server from home

azulthor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I used to be able to log into this web site to obtain notes and hand out for school, but for the past few days I couldn't do that at home anymore. The site is still functional since I can still login when I'm at a different location (such as at school or a friend's house). Does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

I've tried resetting my router (pressing the reset button, unplugged and replugged), renew IP address (cmd -> ip release and renew). Nothing seems to work. The internet is fine because I can still post this message. I just couldn't go to that site to do school work.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff8246

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

My wife had the same problem and we fixed it by going to "Tools, Internet Options, and clicking on the Security tab in Internet Explorer and reset all zones to default level and it fixed the problem. Good luck and hope it works for you!

azulthor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Thanks Jeff8246, unfortunately that did not work for me.

hang-the-9, I did contact the school IT support, and since they can load the page fine, they couldn't figure out my problem is.

Basically there is a link from my school's page that leads to an external server where I will be prompted to log in. However, I can access the all the other links, but when I click on that particular link, IE (and also Firefox, opera) says that the page is not found (or cannot be displayed, etc.). I even tried a clean reinstallation of windows and it still wouldn't load up.

I don't know what else to try.. :sweat:

If no computers inside your house work with this, and it works outside your house, check your ISP and see if that server address is blocked somehow. If you can, find the IP of the server and use that instead of the name, could be a DNS issue and the ISP can't find the name to route you to.

You don't need VPN or any other secure connection to access that do you? It's a regular server that anyone can hit?

Latest posts