Sign in with
Your question

Help With Actual Build

Last response: in Systems
January 27, 2013 11:27:44 PM

Okay, so I have all the components for my new build, and I want to know the best order for assembling and testing everything. Here is the parts list:

Antec P280 case
Corsair HX650 power supply
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard
Intel 3770K processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler
16GB (2 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X RAM (9-9-9-24, DDR3 1600)
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD for apps and O/S
WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD for data
ASUS Blu-Ray writer
Windows Home Premium 64-bit
MS Office Pro 2010

Here is where I am currently:

- CPU is installed on the motherboard
- Hyper 212 Evo is installed on the CPU
- RAM is inserted in slots A1 and B1
- Power supply is hooked up to both the 24-pin and 8-pin power connections on the motherboard
- Case front panel connections are made
- Monitor, keyboard and mouse are connected to case
- System powers up and takes me straight into the BIOS (no hard drives or optical drives are connected yet)
- Confirmed that CPU registers in the BIOS as 3.5GHz
- Confirmed that the RAM registers in the BIOS and XMP is enabled, so Ram registers as 1600 instead of 1333

So far, it seems all is good. The BIOS version is not the latest version, but at this point since things are going smoothly I think I am just not going to mess with the BIOS. It appears there have been a couple of updated versions after my current one.

So what's next? Should I go through all the motherboard drivers and get the latest ones from the internet? This new rig is not hooked up to the outside world yet...

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions/tips/advice.

Regards,

Jason

More about : actual build

January 27, 2013 11:31:07 PM

Install windows. Then stick the motherboard drivers CD in and install. Then go to the web for updates.
m
l
January 27, 2013 11:46:30 PM

^ do that
and then isntall all your programs and stuff and maybe run some stress testing like Intel Burn Test or prime95
m
l
Related resources
January 27, 2013 11:48:48 PM

Okay, so I guess the next steps are to hook up the optical drive and the SSD. Here's a silly question: When I power the system back on after hooking up the SSD and optical drive, will the motherboard automatically ask me to install windows?
m
l
January 27, 2013 11:49:54 PM

it should post a no bootmngr detected or OS install msg

m
l
January 28, 2013 12:44:46 AM

Jeez, I'm such a noob. Another question as I am working in getting the SSD, hard drive, and optical drive connected.

In reading the motherboard manual, it looks like 2 of the 4 SATA3 connectors are connected to the Z77 chipset, and the other 2 are connected to an Asmedia chip. I assume that I should connect the SSD and hard drive to the Z77 SATA3 connectors, and then connect the optical drive to one of the Asmedia SATA3 connectors? Or does it not even matter?

And if connecting to the SATA3 connectors, do I need SATA 6 GB/s cables? A pair of these cables comes with the motherboard, and I have an old SATA2 cable from a previous build 5 years ago.

Again, sorry for such basic questions.

m
l
January 28, 2013 1:47:37 AM

Well only the SSD would see an performance increase by using SATAIII
Not quite sure about the cables, I think electrically, the SATA2 cables can work at SATA3 speeds
m
l
!