Sign in with
Your question

Wirelessly Connecting to the Internet

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 19, 2012 9:49:27 PM

Hey all.

I have a network at home that me, my brother, and my parents share. I will be building my own PC and placing it in my room, which is upstairs. However, our router and modem are both downstairs. Now, my questions is, will that be a problem? As in, will my network bandwidth be bad? I really can't reconfigure my network nor can I have my computer downstairs since there is not enough room downstairs to place it. I also have a computer desk in my room from a few years back.

The modem we have is 2700HG-B Gateway and the router is a CISCO Linksys one.

I just have a miniUSB Wireless N adapter.

Thanks for the help in advance.
January 19, 2012 10:56:37 PM

Depends on the make and model of both the wireless router and wireless adapter being used, the actual distance between you and the access point, and the type and amount of objects between you and the access point.

But assuming you don't plan on having heavy local network traffic the connection should be fine.

m
l
January 20, 2012 2:48:41 AM

Alright thanks. Should I consider getting a wireless PCIe Card?
m
l
Related resources
January 20, 2012 3:02:56 AM

Up to you if you want an internal or external one. I recommend getting one with an RP-SMA connector so you can add extensions and or different antennas to increase your signal strength if needed.
m
l
January 20, 2012 4:16:16 AM

What specific wireless PCIe Card do you recommend?
m
l
January 20, 2012 4:40:56 AM

For internal I've had decent experience with the Asus PCE-n13. It wasn't anything special but I was able to get a solid connection for gaming through two walls about 30-35 feet away connecting to a netgear 3700. And that's with stock antenna. I believe this unit has been replaced with the PCE-n15 now. I don't know much about that one but it's specs list a higher data bandwidth. Not sure if it uses the same chipset or not. I wouldn't spend more then 20 on it. The egg use to make a comparable model but again I think that one has recently been replaced too =).

For external I'd defiantly recommend the alfa awus036h. I've gotten ridiculous range with this adapter using the stock antenna.

m
l
January 20, 2012 9:22:43 AM

skaz said:
For internal I've had decent experience with the Asus PCE-n13. It wasn't anything special but I was able to get a solid connection for gaming through two walls about 30-35 feet away connecting to a netgear 3700. And that's with stock antenna. I believe this unit has been replaced with the PCE-n15 now. I don't know much about that one but it's specs list a higher data bandwidth. Not sure if it uses the same chipset or not. I wouldn't spend more then 20 on it. The egg use to make a comparable model but again I think that one has recently been replaced too =).

For external I'd defiantly recommend the alfa awus036h. I've gotten ridiculous range with this adapter using the stock antenna.

I just checked my modem's max bandwidth and it is 54mbps. Will this mean that the wireless nic will not perform optimally?
m
l
January 20, 2012 9:24:26 AM

Crap, stupid phone made me double post..
m
l
January 20, 2012 2:11:03 PM

azeem40 said:
I just checked my modem's max bandwidth and it is 54mbps. Will this mean that the wireless nic will not perform optimally?

Your modem won't effect your NIC. Your Local area network (LAN) will be much faster then your actual internet speeds. So as long as everything behind the modem is of higher speed you won't be bottle necking your NIC.

Think of your internet speeds and your local home network as two different things when comparing speeds.
m
l
January 20, 2012 4:09:04 PM

So the wireless speed will be 300 mbps even though the max I have ever had was 54mbps with the current computer's internal wireless and the usb?
m
l
January 20, 2012 4:42:05 PM

In regards to your local network it Depends on speed of router and the nic you choose for your computer.

Any internet use will still be dependant on the internet package you have though.
m
l
January 20, 2012 7:11:12 PM

Nvm, it is a 54 mbps Wireless G Broadband Router from T Mobile @ Hotspot.

Is there a cheap repeater/extender/access point I could get?
m
l
!