FYI: Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer for Window..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography (More info?)

From: "John Phillips" <flatulantdingo@deadspam.com>

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d48e808e-b10d-4ce4-a141-5866fd4a3286&DisplayLang=en

| What actually does it do, apart from allowing viewing of the RAW images?
|
| Sorry for dumbo question?
|
| --
| When you're in love, you're at the mercy of a stranger.

No it is a fair and good question. One that I can't answer.

It is purely a FYI. I don't have it installed.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography (More info?)

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 04:57:52 +1000, John
Phillips<flatulantdingo@deadspam.com> wrote:

>What actually does it do, apart from allowing viewing of the RAW images?
>
>Sorry for dumbo question?

Yes, it will display thumbnails just like Windows will do with other
image files right now, instead of just an icon and filename.

"McLeod" <cerveza@xplornet.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 04:57:52 +1000, John
> Phillips<flatulantdingo@deadspam.com> wrote:
>
> >What actually does it do, apart from allowing viewing of the RAW images?
> >
> >Sorry for dumbo question?
>
> Yes, it will display thumbnails just like Windows will do with other
> image files right now, instead of just an icon and filename.

Whoopee ... and for that we need a 48 Megabyte download ? ? ? ? ?

And ... you need to install the complete (dot)Net package ? ? ? ? ?

What's wrong with IrfanView ... it seems to work quite well for viewing RAW
files (and all other image file types)? AND ... it's a lot smaller and
faster!

www.irfanview.com

RSD99 wrote:
> "McLeod" <cerveza@xplornet.com> wrote in message
>
>>On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 04:57:52 +1000, John
>>Phillips<flatulantdingo@deadspam.com> wrote:
>>

>>>What actually does it do, apart from allowing viewing of the RAW images?
>>>
>>>Sorry for dumbo question?
>>
>>Yes, it will display thumbnails just like Windows will do with other
>>image files right now, instead of just an icon and filename.
>

> Whoopee ... and for that we need a 48 Megabyte download ? ? ? ? ?
>
> And ... you need to install the complete (dot)Net package ? ? ? ? ?
>
> What's wrong with IrfanView ... it seems to work quite well for viewing RAW
> files (and all other image file types)? AND ... it's a lot smaller and
> faster!
>
> www.irfanview.com

It's 6MB, unless you download the full version with .NET and I suspect
you already have .NET runtime module in your system. It's a handy viewer
that is intergrated to the file explorer. Why not get it if your pc is
not too antiqued.

"RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote in message
> Whoopee ... and for that we need a 48 Megabyte download ? ? ? ? ?
>
> And ... you need to install the complete (dot)Net package ? ? ? ? ?
>
> What's wrong with IrfanView ... it seems to work quite well for viewing
> RAW
> files (and all other image file types)? AND ... it's a lot smaller and
> faster!
>
> www.irfanview.com

Anyone who takes 6+ MB pictures and whines about a 48MB download clearly
is grinding their axe.

Dave

In alt.photography John Phillips <flatulantdingo@deadspam.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005, at 14:54:20 [GMT GMT] (00:54:20 Sunday, 28 August 2005
> where I live) "David H. Lipman" wrote:
>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d48e808e-b10d-4ce4-a141-5866fd4a3286&DisplayLang=en
>
> What actually does it do, apart from allowing viewing of the RAW images?
>
> Sorry for dumbo question?

It is useful for previewing direction within Explorer. It also works
nice as a default viewer as it is pretty fast.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

In alt.photography David Geesaman <dgeesamannospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Anyone who takes 6+ MB pictures and whines about a 48MB download clearly
> is grinding their axe.

6+ MB pictures move fast over USB. 48MB downloads require broadband ...
or lots of patience.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Kerry

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography (More info?)

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in

> In alt.photography John Phillips <flatulantdingo@deadspam.com>
> wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005, at 14:54:20 [GMT GMT] (00:54:20 Sunday, 28
>> August 2005 where I live) "David H. Lipman" wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d48e808e
>>> -b10d-4ce4-a141-5866fd4a3286&DisplayLang=en
>>
>> What actually does it do, apart from allowing viewing of the RAW
>> images?
>>
>> Sorry for dumbo question?
>>

> It is useful for previewing direction within Explorer. It also
> works nice as a default viewer as it is pretty fast.

Doesn't work for my Pentax *istDS RAWs

--
Kerry in Langley

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography (More info?)

From: "Kerry" <tera**pico@telus.net>

| Doesn't work for my Pentax *istDS RAWs
|
| --
| Kerry in Langley

Interesting. However, the MS web site does specifically state Canon and Nikon.

"After installing the Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer Powertoy for Windows XP you
will be able to view, organize, and print photos captured in RAW image formats from
supported Canon and Nikon digital cameras"

--

In alt.photography Kerry <tera**pico@telus.net> wrote:

> Doesn't work for my Pentax *istDS RAWs

Email Microsoft. Perhaps it is a licensing issue? Anyway, it does
support at least Cannon and Nikon formats [as I have tried both].

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography (More info?)

The "Quick Description" states, "photos captured in RAW image formats from
supported Canon and Nikon digital cameras." The white paper lists the
individual models and says it may support RAW formats from other
manufactures but Microsoft hasn't tested them.

Perhaps someday all the manufactures will get together and establish a
universal standard for RAW.

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In alt.photography Kerry <tera**pico@telus.net> wrote:
>>
>> Doesn't work for my Pentax *istDS RAWs
>>

> Email Microsoft. Perhaps it is a licensing issue? Anyway, it does
> support at least Cannon and Nikon formats [as I have tried both].
>
> --
> Thomas T. Veldhouse
> Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1
> Spammers please contact me at renegade@veldy.net.

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography (More info?)

STEPHEN LANTZ wrote:
[snip]
> Perhaps someday all the manufactures will get together and establish a
> universal standard for RAW.
[snip]

Don't expect all the manufacturers to get together to define one. Two
of them (Leica and Hasselblad-Imacon) already support DNG, and probably
wouldn't see the need to define another format. And I doubt whether the
rest of the manufacturers will be able to jointly define one, because
they would probably see too much risk in giving away their secrets
during the definition process.

I think our best hope is for the manufacturers to use one that they
don't have to jointly define themselves. Canon and Nikon will probably
be the last to do so, in that order.

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/

Kerry wrote:
> "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in
[snip]
> > It is useful for previewing direction within Explorer. It also
> > works nice as a default viewer as it is pretty fast.
>
> Doesn't work for my Pentax *istDS RAWs

Microsoft announced that with Longhorn / Vista they would have a more
comprehensive capability, in which the various camera makers could
supply codecs to support their formats. And Adobe will provide one for
DNG, of course.

What we see at the moment is a stop-gap until then. Microsoft were
probably a bit concerned about Preview in Tiger, which I believe
already supports more than just Nikon and Canon.

--

Barry Pearson wrote:
> Kerry wrote:
>
>>"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
> [snip]
>
>>>It is useful for previewing direction within Explorer. It also
>>>works nice as a default viewer as it is pretty fast.
>>
>>Doesn't work for my Pentax *istDS RAWs
>

> Microsoft announced that with Longhorn / Vista they would have a more
> comprehensive capability, in which the various camera makers could
> supply codecs to support their formats. And Adobe will provide one for
> DNG, of course.
>
> What we see at the moment is a stop-gap until then. Microsoft were
> probably a bit concerned about Preview in Tiger, which I believe
> already supports more than just Nikon and Canon.
>
> --
> Barry Pearson
> http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/
> http://www.birdsandanimals.info/

You mean Tiger as in OSX? No, it doesn't have preview in file manager as
in WinXP. There are RAW supports in the OS but it's mainly used by
iPhoto. The Microsoft RAW preview which is hooked to the file explorer
is very handy if you need to move/organize the files/photos from one
folder to another without using a third party viewer.