Building computer, no screen when graphicscard is in.

beaterz

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Hi everybody,

I resently started building a computer and after putting it all togheter we had no sceen input when starting the computer.. after a complete disassably i found out that the problems lies with the graphics card.

This is what i have tryed so far:
when everything is put togheter without the graphics card in it and the vga connected to the onboard graphicscard it runs fine, when i only put the graphics card in but dont connect it to anything and keeping the vga on the onboard it doesnt run anymore, when connecting the graphics card fully and keeping the vga on the onboard it doenst run and when connecting the graphics card fully and connecting it to the graphics card it doenst run. as you can see i tryed most possiblitys.

I might need to add that the graphics card fan does work even though i dont have screen input.

this is the graphics card i am using: http://afuture.nl/productview.php?productID=612092
this is the motherboard i am using: afuture.nl/productview.php?productID=356687

any help is appriciated.

Go into the bios using the onboard video and check to see what the video setting is set to it may be set to onboard and not PCI-E you may need to go in and change that within your bios. I would check that then I would make sure you have ample power to the card through the outputs.

beaterz

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
but if i take out the graphics card, go into the bios and disable the onboard graphics card, then put the new graphics card in and run the computer it has a change it still doesnt work, and then i disabled the onboard so i wont have any screen at all and wont be able to do anything anymore right?

beaterz

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
im working on it, im going to try that bios solution, i think the problem occured because i cleared the cmos once to get it to work. but having trouble finding out how to disable the onboard in the bios..

chugot9218

Honorable
I would guess it's the GPU or the PCI slot on the MOBO, did you try the GPU in another slot?

Also, try installing the GPU drivers while hooked into the Integrated GPU, and then try using your discreet card.

Well the reason why I asked whether or not the video setting was set to onboard is because it will prevent you from using your PCI-E card. So when you check if its set to onboard change it to PCI-E in the event it still doesn't work turn your computer off. Reset the BIOS and go from there. So don't worry you will have a option if you don't have your display working when you change to PCI-E.

Like Chug said it can be a slot thing however I highly doubt it given what you are describing.

whitty1001

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
disabling the on board graphics seems like the best idea so far might try that as well but i thought if it doesnt work i wont have any graphics on so i wont be able to use my system? I have an XFX radeon 7770 DD 1GB

beaterz

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
its no slot problem, and ofcourse i can reset bios! forgot about that :p thank you, still i find it strange that when i just put the graphics card in and still use the onboard the computer doenst boot (or i atleast dont have screen input, it might boot idk) you would say it would just boot and use the onboard because the graphiccard isnt connected by the vga and has no power supplie :S still im going to try that bios solution. hope it works.

What I'd like you to do again.

Plug in your video adapter into the onboard
Go into the bios
Change primary video adapter to PCI-E
Save and Quit
Turn computer off
Place video adapter into the card
Start the computer and see if it works

beaterz

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
I haven't had time to continue on the computer untill today.

I went into the bios using the onboard card to check if it was set to onboard.

in the bios i went to: advanced/north bridge configuration and there i found the option: primairy graphics adapter and it was set to: PCI express.

I can change it to: PCI or onboard.

but i guess this settings are oke right?

so why insn't the graphics card working, i already found it strange that the computer doenst boot when i put the graphicscard in but still boot by using the onboard vga.. im pretty sure the graphics card isn't damaged in any way so what should i do?

please help

beaterz

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
CPU: Intel core i5
MEMORY: G.Skill 8GB PC3-14900
8192 MB (ripjaw)

MOTHERBOARD: asrock z77 pro 4
VIDEO CARD: msi gtx 660 TI
POWER SUPPLY: lepa w450-sa

beaterz

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
untill a better solution is given i will put bios on using the onboard vga so i can boot with the graphicscard in, then i will install windows 7 and install the driver of the graphicscard with the cd that came with it. then ill put the bios on pci-e and cross my fingers that it will boot with the graphicscard. and then i can install the latest driver from the internet but that is a care for later, im getting kind of scared. if the graphics card is dead im in big trouble, im building this computer for my brother so he paid for all the components, if it doesnt work i cant pay for a new card :(

Dude, your power supply unit is severely underpowered for the card. That's the most likely reason it doesn't work. The card needs TWO 6-pin connectors connected to it DIRECTLY from the power supply unit to operate. As far as I know, that power supply has only one such connector.

beaterz

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
i just checked and the graphics card needs 500w my power supplie only gives 450... 0.o how much would my system need to run? 500w?

The minimum system requirement is 500 watts. Although it will more then likely not use all 500 watts its good to get a little higher then what the vendor suggests a 550 watt psu would do you just fine or even a 650 watt its up to you.

this one is good
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013&Tpk=550%20xfx%20psu
this one is good
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020
this one to
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207022&Tpk=xfx%20650