Sign in with
Your question

Building computer, no screen when graphicscard is in.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 12, 2012 6:51:50 PM

Hi everybody,

I resently started building a computer and after putting it all togheter we had no sceen input when starting the computer.. after a complete disassably i found out that the problems lies with the graphics card.

This is what i have tryed so far:
when everything is put togheter without the graphics card in it and the vga connected to the onboard graphicscard it runs fine, when i only put the graphics card in but dont connect it to anything and keeping the vga on the onboard it doesnt run anymore, when connecting the graphics card fully and keeping the vga on the onboard it doenst run and when connecting the graphics card fully and connecting it to the graphics card it doenst run. as you can see i tryed most possiblitys.

I might need to add that the graphics card fan does work even though i dont have screen input.

this is the graphics card i am using: http://afuture.nl/productview.php?productID=612092
this is the motherboard i am using: afuture.nl/productview.php?productID=356687

any help is appriciated.
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 7:01:00 PM

Go into the bios using the onboard video and check to see what the video setting is set to it may be set to onboard and not PCI-E you may need to go in and change that within your bios. I would check that then I would make sure you have ample power to the card through the outputs.
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 7:01:38 PM

Did you set the onboard graphics to disabled in your BIOS menu?
Related resources
December 12, 2012 7:10:35 PM

but if i take out the graphics card, go into the bios and disable the onboard graphics card, then put the new graphics card in and run the computer it has a change it still doesnt work, and then i disabled the onboard so i wont have any screen at all and wont be able to do anything anymore right?
December 12, 2012 7:26:38 PM

Im having this same problem have you found a solution yet?
December 12, 2012 7:29:10 PM

im working on it, im going to try that bios solution, i think the problem occured because i cleared the cmos once to get it to work. but having trouble finding out how to disable the onboard in the bios..
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 7:32:10 PM

I would guess it's the GPU or the PCI slot on the MOBO, did you try the GPU in another slot?

Also, try installing the GPU drivers while hooked into the Integrated GPU, and then try using your discreet card.
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 7:38:16 PM

Also, you made sure both 6-pins are connected? And whats your PSU?
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 7:40:05 PM

Well the reason why I asked whether or not the video setting was set to onboard is because it will prevent you from using your PCI-E card. So when you check if its set to onboard change it to PCI-E in the event it still doesn't work turn your computer off. Reset the BIOS and go from there. So don't worry you will have a option if you don't have your display working when you change to PCI-E.

Like Chug said it can be a slot thing however I highly doubt it given what you are describing.
December 12, 2012 7:43:14 PM

disabling the on board graphics seems like the best idea so far might try that as well but i thought if it doesnt work i wont have any graphics on so i wont be able to use my system? I have an XFX radeon 7770 DD 1GB
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 7:44:25 PM

You are just changing the primary graphics settings through your bios. You need it on PCI-E for your card to work.
December 12, 2012 7:46:24 PM

its no slot problem, and ofcourse i can reset bios! forgot about that :p  thank you, still i find it strange that when i just put the graphics card in and still use the onboard the computer doenst boot (or i atleast dont have screen input, it might boot idk) you would say it would just boot and use the onboard because the graphiccard isnt connected by the vga and has no power supplie :S still im going to try that bios solution. hope it works.
December 12, 2012 7:50:17 PM

So hope this works thank god for people like you on these forums i would be clueless without this forum and its users!
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 7:57:08 PM

Can you list ALL the computer parts (just the names)?
a c 200 U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 8:02:37 PM

make sure you install the newest bios. a lot of mb have had had issues with the newer nvidia cards intill they do a bios update.
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 12, 2012 8:03:11 PM

What I'd like you to do again.

Plug in your video adapter into the onboard
Go into the bios
Change primary video adapter to PCI-E
Save and Quit
Turn computer off
Place video adapter into the card
Start the computer and see if it works
December 23, 2012 9:17:52 AM

I haven't had time to continue on the computer untill today.

I went into the bios using the onboard card to check if it was set to onboard.

in the bios i went to: advanced/north bridge configuration and there i found the option: primairy graphics adapter and it was set to: PCI express.

I can change it to: PCI or onboard.

but i guess this settings are oke right?

so why insn't the graphics card working, i already found it strange that the computer doenst boot when i put the graphicscard in but still boot by using the onboard vga.. im pretty sure the graphics card isn't damaged in any way so what should i do?

please help
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 9:21:43 AM

Hmm very odd can you do me a favor list all your components in here just fill in all the blanks if you haven't already.

CPU:
MEMORY:
MOTHERBOARD:
VIDEO CARD:
POWER SUPPLY:
December 23, 2012 9:40:54 AM

CPU: Intel core i5
MEMORY: G.Skill 8GB PC3-14900
8192 MB (ripjaw)

MOTHERBOARD: asrock z77 pro 4
VIDEO CARD: msi gtx 660 TI
POWER SUPPLY: lepa w450-sa
December 23, 2012 9:43:54 AM

untill a better solution is given i will put bios on using the onboard vga so i can boot with the graphicscard in, then i will install windows 7 and install the driver of the graphicscard with the cd that came with it. then ill put the bios on pci-e and cross my fingers that it will boot with the graphicscard. and then i can install the latest driver from the internet but that is a care for later, im getting kind of scared. if the graphics card is dead im in big trouble, im building this computer for my brother so he paid for all the components, if it doesnt work i cant pay for a new card :( 
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 9:50:59 AM

Dude, your power supply unit is severely underpowered for the card. That's the most likely reason it doesn't work. The card needs TWO 6-pin connectors connected to it DIRECTLY from the power supply unit to operate. As far as I know, that power supply has only one such connector.
December 23, 2012 9:54:44 AM

nope, it has 2 so i connected both
December 23, 2012 10:02:13 AM

i just checked and the graphics card needs 500w my power supplie only gives 450... 0.o how much would my system need to run? 500w?
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 10:08:45 AM

Well, not really. 450W should be enough if both connectors are plugged in. But still: could you take a photo of the connected 6-pin connectors to the graphics card and upload it here?
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 10:08:59 AM

The minimum system requirement is 500 watts. Although it will more then likely not use all 500 watts its good to get a little higher then what the vendor suggests a 550 watt psu would do you just fine or even a 650 watt its up to you.

this one is good
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
this one is good
this one to
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 10:15:27 AM

^
:pfff: 

Stop recommending purchases until we know what's at fault.
December 23, 2012 10:20:19 AM

well it sound pretty likely to be the cause.... if the vga doesnt get enough power it will not run so i will need a new powersupply.... but does the brand of the power supplie really matter, cause i rather just drive to a computer store atm and buy a random 650w power supply then to order one...
a c 200 U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 10:31:31 AM

beterz intel the os is installed and you see if your mb has all of the bios updates installed. most times the onboard gpu is going to be the main video till you install windows and tell windows to use the gpu as the main video and plug your video cable into the gpu. some mb and some bios will have the onboard video be the main boot video till it switched over into windows. on power up those mb you end up with a blank screen for a min or two till windows loads.
December 23, 2012 10:32:10 AM

i could really use a quick reply, does the brand of the powersupply matter? or can i just go to town and buy a random 600 - 650w one?
December 23, 2012 10:52:13 AM

December 23, 2012 10:52:52 AM

there is the picture of the 2 pci-e power cables
December 23, 2012 11:08:23 AM

I live in the netherlands, so newegg.com is a no go for me, could you maybe find a good power supply on this site? http://afuture.nl/productlist.php?categoryID=808 its in dutch but i think you guys can manage :p  i am looking for one that is as cheap as possible, thank you for all your help so far.
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 11:09:33 AM

Could you upload it to www.imageshack.us and select "Do not resize" option?
December 23, 2012 11:44:05 AM

what about these power supplies, are they any good?
Huntkey HK600/APFC 600W 12 cm fan

or this one:
Recom PE-600 Plus 600W (sillent power supplie)
December 23, 2012 12:03:39 PM

i am wondering why they are bad, i mean how bad can a 70 euro power supply be? but im am really tankfull for selecting 2 form afuture.nl all though isnt a 600 w better then a 550w?
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 12:46:48 PM

Thing is, there are no laws that regulate labels for the power supply units. Because of that, many manufacturers tend to overrate and overprice their units: it isn't uncommon for a 700 watt unit to die at mere 300 watt load.

However, there is a way to know whether the power supply is good. 80 PLUS standard certification exists to rate the efficiency of the power supply units. They test the power supply units at 100% of their rated power - that means if the power supply unit cannot output its rated wattage - it fails the test. So the units that pass that certification will for sure provide their rated power.

Furthermore, brands like Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, XFX have earned years of trust from customers - their power supply units tend to be top notch.
December 23, 2012 3:32:59 PM

i got a new powersupply :)  a 700w however, the graphics card still doenst work.... if i put the bios to onboard pci it works fine, i starts up and i installed windows, but as soon as i try to connect to the pci-e and set the bios to pci-e i get no screen, i hear the computer booting so the computer launches, however no screen..... what can this be? the graphics card doesnt seem damgaged and the fan works so there must (that means i hope) an other explanation :S im now going to install the drivers while on onboard.
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 4:23:33 PM

Can you see the BIOS screen by using the card?
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 7:58:17 PM

Sunius said:
^
:pfff: 

Stop recommending purchases until we know what's at fault.

wasn't my intent was just feeling based on the psu he listed that his wattage probably wasn't outputting the advertised amount. So thought maybe that could be it. I didn't expect him to rush out and buy a psu. He said he purchased a 700w but what 700w oye.

Also its a decent question can you get to the bios with the card.
December 26, 2012 12:50:29 PM

bigshootr8 said:
wasn't my intent was just feeling based on the psu he listed that his wattage probably wasn't outputting the advertised amount. So thought maybe that could be it. I didn't expect him to rush out and buy a psu. He said he purchased a 700w but what 700w oye.

Also its a decent question can you get to the bios with the card.

first of all I want to make clear I appreciate every comment posted here to help me :) 

well yea, I bought a 700w power supply at allvision (a computer store where I bought a lot of my computer stuff through the years and I have always been pleased with the quality they sell me) the brand is Huntkey and i got a 2 year warranty with it so thats all good :) 

but still no screen... and no i cant get to bios screen with the graphics card. i cant see anything with it.

ill sum it up all.

- i hear the computer booting, screen stays black when i have the vga connected to the pci-e
- screen stays black when i connect the vga to onboard when the graphics card is in (its because the computer sees the the card so trys to boot on it)
- i have screen when i pull the card out and connect the vga to the onboard so i installed winows and drivers on it like that (well, i put the bios to onboard and put the graphics card in so it boots on onboard)

i checked:
- vga cable (onboard works so vga is fine)
- pci-e slot of motherboard with an other graphicscard and this works
- bios settings (when on pci-e, no screen with the card, but an other card works fine.)

im going to check the card itself in an other computer tomorrow, didnt have time for it untill now.

any more help is welcome but im afraid the card is dead :S and that while its newly bought..

i hope afuture.nl gives warranty so i get an other one.
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 26, 2012 5:23:39 PM

I sure hope its not your card however since its new it should be easy as pie to have it RMA'd
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 27, 2012 4:14:38 PM

Looks like the card is dead to me.
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 27, 2012 7:16:26 PM

Quite possibly yes. He may be able to still return it for a exchange or at the very least he has the ability for a RMA if it came to it.
December 31, 2012 2:14:26 PM

I put the card in my old acer aspire, but because its an old computer it didnt have enough power supplie, so i only connected 1 pci1 power cable and started it, just to check and i got a white message in my screen saying: please connect all pce1 power cables and reboot. this was screen! :D  so i went back to the computer i am building with the card and put it in and only connected 1 power cable, no message! so there must be something off with my new build :S but what? It isnt the motherboard because i tryed other graphics cards in the pci-e slot and that worked. it isnt the the graphics card because the message saying: "please connect all pci1 cables" came on the screen so that is output. so what can it be?
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 7:56:40 PM

yours is a rare case. Seems to me that some how your mainboard does not support the msi gtx 660 ti...did you try out any other msi gtx 660 ti instead?
do that if you can find one,just to make sure.
a c 200 U Graphics card
January 6, 2013 2:39:06 AM

beaterz you did not check your mb bios rev or update it. if you look at your mb and pull down download and bios there a few updates that fix gpu issuse. the newest bios is version 1.6 if your mb is under that download the 1.6 bios file. unzip the rom file and put it on a usb stick. then go into the bios under advance setting...bios update and run the bios update.
January 9, 2013 5:02:26 PM

smorizio said:
beaterz you did not check your mb bios rev or update it. if you look at your mb and pull down download and bios there a few updates that fix gpu issuse. the newest bios is version 1.6 if your mb is under that download the 1.6 bios file. unzip the rom file and put it on a usb stick. then go into the bios under advance setting...bios update and run the bios update.

wow this gives me hope! thank you for this one, this might actually be it, ill try it tommorow and post the results.
March 29, 2013 12:41:42 PM

it can be many things: like does your PSU work maybe get a device where you can measure it with and check.
maybe the cable is just not working properly.
!