All-in-Wonder to Audigy

payjin

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2001
Does anyone know the proper way to connect an All-In-Wonder 8500DV to an Audigy sound card? The sound card has three potential output channels (Front-Out, Rear-Out, and S/Pdif) and two input channels (Line-in, and Mic-in). The All-In-Wonder has a cable with two mini-jacks with instructions to connect one to the Line-In on the soundcard (no problem) and the other to the Line-Out (Which *#%+@* line-out???) I've tried several different ways to do this but none seem to work properly. When I've tried it one way I end up getting an odd echo out of the system when the TV feature is turned on, other ways I get a really painful sounding feedback until I turn the mute function on in the TV software (this seems to play the sound properly, but it turns on close-captioning, and when I try to pause live TV the sound keeps on playing so that when I unpause the sound and video are out of sync. I have a Boston Acoustic 6000 Theater surround sound speaker system with 5 speakers and a sub-woofer (came with my Gateway Destination XTV system that I'm in the process of upgrading). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
line out from the video card line in to the soundcard. There should also be an internal connector on the video card which you should use instead of the external connector, using a CD audio cable to connect to the Aux Input on the sound card.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
If you want audio control for both the TV and the CDROM, you will have to use both the internal and the external connections. To find out (in a Graphical Nature) on how to set up the AIW series, go to <A HREF="http://support.ati.com/manual_pdf/awra8575.pdf" target="_new">ATI's support site.</A>

<font color=red>Note that these instructions are for the AIW 8500, however, the other AIW class of cards are identical in setting up for this particular topic.</font color=red>

If it works for you then don't fix it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You don't need to use the external audio output at all. I hooked up a friends AIW (Rage 128) recently, it has an audio input and audio output. You can connect the CD-ROM into the Audio Input and the Audio Output into the soundcards CD input, if you have only one connector on the soundcard, internally. But then your CD and TV audio controlls are tied together. Since his soundcard has two internal inputs (CD and Auxiliary), he can leave his CD hooked to the souncard's CD input and simply hook his TV audio to the souncard's Aux input, allowing him separate volume controlls from the soundcard's controll panel or from keyboard commands.
Yes, he would have to loop it to controll it from the breakout box, but I don't believe his versio has a breakout box. My friends doesn't.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?