Sign in with
Your question

Gtx 670 problems!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 12, 2012 10:50:40 PM

Hello there,

I apologize if this is not the correct forum.. tried to find the right place.

Anyways- I put together a computer based on advice from you guys. I was able to get it up and running but without the graphics card for a while due to money. Well, I ordered a evga gtx 670 and it came in today. I stuck it in the slot and connected power to it etc, then rebooted system and attempted to install drivers. It appeared to be working just fine and said it just needed to reboot. However, upon rebooting, Windows 8 will not startup and it keeps giving me a "video tdr failure" .. a couple of times now this has happened, and the only recourse that has gotten me back to a working OS is when it comes up saying I need to restore to an earlier date, which ive done and it puts me back to a previous restore point I guess. However, after the restore, the resolution is terrible, the video card is identified as microsoft basic graphics driver or something like that, not even hd graphics 4000 like it would have been identified before installing the card...

I so hoped this installation of the card would have been painless and was hoping to start gaming tonight... hope there is still a glimmer of hope for that. Any help would be incredibly appreciated. Thanks so much!

BTW- Computer specs are as follows:
Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation (until I get a full version)
Core i7-3770k (have not overclocked yet)
2x4 gb g.skill ripjaw ram (8gb total)
Ga-z77x-ud5h mobo
corsair hx750w psu
... and the evga gtx 670

also- computer has been slower than molasses since attempting to install drivers for 1st time

More about : gtx 670 problems

a c 147 U Graphics card
December 13, 2012 4:28:16 AM

Quote:
However, after the restore, the resolution is terrible, the video card is identified as microsoft basic graphics driver or something like that, not even hd graphics 4000 like it would have been identified before installing the card...

that's normal. when you make the restoration it will restore your system back to when the graphic driver still not present in your system. normally when graphic card are inserted in the PCI-E slot it most mobo will give priority to discrete graphic and disable the IGP which lead the windows to load the driver for the discrete gpu. if the driver does not exist it will load what you called as 'microsoft basic graphic' above.

btw what version of driver that you tried to install? have you tried the latest WHQL or the latest beta?
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
December 13, 2012 4:36:11 AM

You have onboard graphics disabled in your BIOS?

You've tried different versions of the drivers?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2012 4:40:07 AM

-make sure graphics card is deated properly
-update motherboard bios to latest version is a must for windows 8, flash update it
m
l
December 14, 2012 3:11:31 AM

Hello everyone,

Sorry for not replying earlier. I really do not know how this solved my problem, but trying to put the card in a different pci slot after messing with drivers and software for hours made the card instantly work. Still not sure how it happened. Thanks for all the advice! Btw- I wanted to update my bios, says I'm at version f8, and there is definitely newer versions on gigabytes website, but I'm like really afraid of screwing it up.

Thanks again everyone!
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
December 14, 2012 3:21:17 AM

if there is nothing wrong with your mobo then just keep it. because if you screw it up your mobo will be gone forever
m
l
!