Power supply wattage?

0nRay

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but let me cut to the chase. I have a Kill- A-Watt and it says my system is drawing 280 watts from the wall running prime95 and furmark at stock speeds. My question is does this mean that technically I could get away with a 300W power supply? Or am I just being a n00b? :ange: I tried searching all major forum inc you guys but have come up dry so please don't flame me if this has been asked before. I'm just looking for a straight answer. My specs are as follows (ALL SPEEDS, TIMINGS, VOLTAGES ETC ARE STOCK ATM).

Thank you!

Phenom II 955be 3.3GHZ 1.35V C3 stepping

Asus sabertooth 990fx

AMD HD 6870

WD caviar black 1TB

8 noctua NF-F12 pwm fans

1 optical drive

1 tv tunner card

Xonar essence STX

Solution
I reason you want headroon in you psu is when psu start maxing out efficiency falls quickly. when efficiency less current is produced and more heat is putout. As temps increase efficiency drops even more. Leading to a burn out psu. I you know your system draws 280 watts max. Look for a psu with a output of 500 to 600 watts. Psus are most efficient running at half power, but you need to get a high quality psu too. There are no standards use in rating psu. Take a good psu vender like Corsair they have more than one 750 watt psu,but they are not equal. The cheaper one are rated at a cooler ambient temp but the top of the line psu are rated at a stated 50C. A psu can lose a lot of output as ambient temp rise. As much as 40%.

0nRay

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
I see I forgot to mention that my PSU is an HX750. I would never gamble loosing all my hardware over a **** PSU, I just wanted to know if it was technically possible.

Goodeggray

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
I reason you want headroon in you psu is when psu start maxing out efficiency falls quickly. when efficiency less current is produced and more heat is putout. As temps increase efficiency drops even more. Leading to a burn out psu. I you know your system draws 280 watts max. Look for a psu with a output of 500 to 600 watts. Psus are most efficient running at half power, but you need to get a high quality psu too. There are no standards use in rating psu. Take a good psu vender like Corsair they have more than one 750 watt psu,but they are not equal. The cheaper one are rated at a cooler ambient temp but the top of the line psu are rated at a stated 50C. A psu can lose a lot of output as ambient temp rise. As much as 40%.

Solution

0nRay

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

That make absolute sense! I didn't even think about efficiency, good thing I have my hx750.